Yearling Trail and Silver Glen Springs

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Postby Liz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Saturday morning after camping at Hopkins Prairie, my friend and I (and Roe of course) took a hike on the nearby Yearling Trail. Some of you may remember I had planned to come here a few weeks ago, but the area was closed due to a forest fire. You’ll see some of the effects of that fire as we hike the trail today.

There are two trailheads, but today we’ll use the Pats Island trailhead, which starts out on a portion of the Florida Scenic Trail. So make sure you have your sunscreen on and tick prevention measures in place. Alrighty then, let’s go.

This little long leaf pine reminded me of the phoenix rising from the ashes of the forest fire.

Pats Island is the name of a small forest community that existed here in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The most predominant members were the Long family. Pulitzer Prize winning author of “The Yearling”, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, stayed with Calvin and Mary Long in 1933 as she did research for her novel. During her visit she recorded many stories told by the Longs. Calvin’s childhood story of nursing a deer from a fawn gave her the idea for ‘The Yearling.” The film starring Gregory Peck was filmed on location here.

Our first stop was at the edge of this sinkhole where residents got their drinking water.

I liked the shadows the trees made here.

Next stop was the Long family cemetery. The fence looks new…perhaps due to damage by the fire?

Reuben and Sarah Jane Long were the patriarch & matriarch of the Long family. They settled here around 1872.

Life was hard here as residents eked out a living from farming, running woods cattle & hogs, hunting, fishing, making moonshine whisky and trading with boat travel on the St. Johns River.
Evidence of their hardships are shown on the tombstones in the way they died: forest fire, heat stroke, hunting accident, and this poor lad’s clothes caught ablaze while playing with fire.

As we continue along the trail we come to more evidence of the recent fires

My friend is standing at the Reuben Long homesite. You can see how tiny their cabin must have been.

The written guide says #7 marks an old dogwood tree with gnarled trunk that is evidence that it has survived many forest fires.

I don’t think it survived this one.

Now that you are all hot from your hike, it’d be fun to take a swim in Silver Glen Springs to cool off. The entrance is just across from the main Yearling Trailhead.

We just took a quick tour because this sign did not bode well for Roe.

No camping, but a beautiful day-use area. There are also two hiking trails. One leads to the place where Jody made his flutter wheel in the movie, “The Yearling.”

Party boat. I’ve seen pictures on the news of shore-to shore boats rafted up here on 4th of July weekend, with the springs carpeted with inflatable rafts. Today it was idyllic.

Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Yearling Trail and Silver Glen Springs

Postby Sparkle » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Wonderful! And you know Karen, Beth and I love cemetaries. The way you posted this I felt I was right there with you.
Sparkle

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Beautiful pictures, Liz, of such a beautiful place! I sure do wish I could go swimming in such a pristine spring pond!!! What an interesting trail to explore. I LOVE the placque in the graveyard!

Thanks for sharing your tour!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Redetotry » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Thank you Liz for taking us along. I loved the little long leaf pine. So sad the old dogwood didn't survive the fire.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Wonderful pictures and narrative, Liz. I just love the stories by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, and the movie made of her life there, starring Mary Steenburgen.
AlmostThere

Postby carold » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Loved your post, Liz. Amazing what's in your own backyard that you've never taken advantage of. Been to many places in FL, and have driven past that area numerous times, but not stopped. Maybe will now. carold
carold

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:37 pm

What a wonderful area. Great photos and story of the area. Sad the dogwood didn't make it this last time. Love old grave sites as well.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby mtngal » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Nice hike Liz, loved the spring, the water is beautiful!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:22 am

That is definitely a trip I'd have enjoyed,.... thanks a bunch for the great photos.
Cedar518

Postby Carolinagal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am

Liz, it never fails, you go a few miles from home and find the most interesting sights and then post it here for us, to experience . I look forward to all your overnight camping trips as you make them so interesting for all of us. Whenever Belle has to leave you, she probably is going to do some crying !! She will be so experienced, that maybe she will be an inspiration to the next sistah though.

Thank you so much

Carol

The one marker at the cementary, if you think on it, gives an uncomfortable feeling. Unique marker,and probably gets lots of comments from hikers !!
Carolinagal

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:00 am

Liz: Forgot to ask, is Belle going to make the trip to AK with you?
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Liz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Belle will be going to AK with at least 3 of us! But it's time for Belle to be passed off to another caretaker....one that will take better care of her (I'll fess up about that later). She needs to spend time with many other forum members, and gopes to meet each one of you someday!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to General Talk