Introduce myself

Come on in and say hello.

Introduce myself

Postby glindsley » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 pm

I have dreamed of purchasing an RV and heading across the country for many years. I have lots of family and friends I could visit and so much of the United States that I have not seen. I am finally retired and think it is getting closer to a real possibility. I continue to research RVs. I had my heart set on a Class C, thinking I could manage that by myself, but have recently been looking online at Class B's. I don't have a lot of money, so I think a Class B would be overall more affordable. It would be me and my two small Shih Tzu's. I do get a little afraid of breaking down. May I ask if that is a frequent issue?? I'm excited and also nervous, but at age 67 I figure - what am I waiting for and what do I have to lose!! I appreciate any feedback!
glindsley

Re: Introduce myself

Postby JudyJB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Class Bs are not necessarily more affordable, but the important thing is to find a unit that is in good condition and not too old so that you will not be paying for a lot of repairs. As a motorhome gets older, it will have more repairs, but a lot depends on how well it has been cared for. I'll let the others who have bought used comment on this, but I know you definitely will need to get something inspected by a competent RV mechanic before you buy.

As far as breaking down, most of us have a road service company such as CoachNet that will come and tow us or fix a tire or whatever.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Your RV is just like a house. Things break, and things need to be maintained. House needs a new roof, MH needs new tires. Maintenance is ongoing in an RV for sure but some of the routine maintenance is not a spendy item. I put so much money away each month into a maintenance fund that covers my car and my RV for any repairs I might need. Sometimes it gets a good balance in it and then I need to fix or upgrade something and the balance goes back down ha ha But I love the RV life for sure.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi Glindsley - welcome to the forum from No. Central CA. I am on my 2nd RV (each purchased new). Current RV is a 2016 Winnebago Navion
24G (Class C with 2 slides). My almost 8 month old little Shih Tzu will travel with me. New RVs usually have warranty work that needs
taken care of. Maintenance on your RV is very important and a roadside assistance service is very important. Enjoy your RV search and
subsequent trips!! Where are you located?

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Welcome. Class B's generally cost more than Class C's. That said, go look at both and determine what would work best for you, then start looking. New vs Used ... Both have advantages and disadvantages. I could never have purchased new when I started and looked until the right used at the right price was found. It was perfect for me for 9 years. It was easier and more cost efficient for me to trade my old baby in when the time came... Which is how I ended up getting a new rig in 2014. Both have been shorter Class C's.

Ask questions and if you're near any of us or any gtgs, come out and meet up. Many of us will be in Quartzsite later in January if you're close?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 pm

Welcome to the forum you need to tell us more about yourself
where you spend most of your time
family
likes dislikes
we love getting to know each other
and love to butt in when asked or not!!!
sheila
snowball

Postby Liz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:22 am

Welcome, browse the forum threads and jump right in anywhere! I have owned both Class Bs and a small Class C. Both worked for me. I just downsized recently from my Class C back to a Class B. So visit the RV shows and check out the layouts. Good luck finding the right one for you.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:43 am

Welcome to the forum from snowing cold Ohio. Research and look, look and look. There are many of us spread around the US so depending upon where you are there might even be someone who will meet up with you to kick tires. I think it helps to have someone with you that has used an RV to ask about or notice options or configurations on units that may otherwise go un-noticed. There are no perfect units but some will be more perfect for you than they might be for someone else. Don't be afraid to buy a used unit if it has been well maintained. It can get you out on the road and leave you some money to fix the small stuff that comes up. In the end no matter how carefully you research and think about how you want to use a unit, the reality of getting out on the road often reshapes our lists of wants and needs..... You don't know what you don't know until you learn about it from experience..... :shock:

Any way have fun. The search and dreaming about the finding is all part of the adventures!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cudedog » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:13 am

Welcome to the Forum!

I am sixty-nine years young (soon to be the big 7-0 :o ).

I have a converted cargo van (that I converted to a camper/rv myself - see link below) that I bought new.

I took what is unquestionably one of the most amazing and wonderful trips of my life (so far!) this past August, when I traveled from my home in Northern California (near Sacramento) to Eagle Lake (near Lassen volcano - Lassen Volcanic National Park - where I did my first GTG - Getogether - with ladies I "met" on this forum - camped three days there) to the Medicine Lake Volcano (Lava Beds National Monument is located here - camped one day here) to Tumulo Oregon - camped three days there (drove to Madras, Oregon, the morning of the eclipse - saw the amazing totality!) to Mt. St. Helens volcano (wonderful and truly amazing - camped two days there) to Grant's Pass, Oregon - camped two days there. Plus a couple of other overnights here and there. :lol:

Oh, did I mention? This was a solo trip for me - well, not completely solo - I had with me my wonderful dog Big Joe (Staffordshire Bull Terrier - around fifty pounds of muscle!) and my cat - all within the confines of a small(ish) camper/cargo van.

Reading about the "adventures" of the ladies on this forum, over the years, was truly a motivating factor for me.

Thanks, Ladies!! Thanks, Beth!!!

If I can do it, you can do it too!!

I say, GO FOR IT!!! :D

Northern California Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby glindsley » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi Again and thank you all for the warm welcome! I have not figured out how to reply to individuals, but at the end of the list of comments I found a REPLY button - so here I am!

I was asked for a little more info about me - so, I am a retired teacher & elementary school principal. I also worked a few years at a satellite campus of Purdue University as Director for Student Teachers; so, basically all in education. Truth is, I didn't start college until I was 48 years old, graduating with my bachelors at 52. I'm a late bloomer!! Before that I worked in offices, primarily bookkeeping, and raised my two amazing children.

My daughter gave me two beautiful, fun, smart grandchildren and my son one adorable grandson, who is only 3. My son lives in Vermont, me in Indiana, and my two older grandchildren have always been within 2 miles of me. Sadly, we lost my daughter's son, my first grandchild, this fall at age 20 in a tragic drowning accident. He was home from college to see family for the weekend. This is the most heartbreaking experience anyone can imagine. I know it is every parent/grandparent's worst fear. It has been difficult to even think about living, but my faith tells me I will see him again and my heart is comforted by the amazing life he led, trips he took all over the U.S & even Ireland, and overall all the advantages and love he had. Certainly more than some people get in their lifetime. He was good and kind and accepted everyone; his friends "go to guy!" I love him and miss him and KNOW he would want me to go on and live a good life.

So, it is somewhat with a broken heart that I am ready to fulfill my dream of purchasing an RV and hitting the road. Maybe to feel the freedom and connect with a higher universe, maybe to honor his life by finally living mine with abandon, maybe to fulfill my dream of at least ten years, maybe because I am not living - but merely existing - and clearly I am in touch with how short life is and that we will all be leaving this planet, so why not hit the road, see the country, meet people, be kind and helpful - just like my grandson was. :)

Possibly too much information, but it has only been 3 months, so I'm still pretty much thinking of him daily. I can hardly wait to purchase a Class C and start traveling! I've often been unconventional, so I think I can pull this off!! I hope I can do it without towing a car??

I do get a little scared of two things. 1) driving in the Rocky Mountains ( not the Appalacian Mountains, since I am used to those and I invision them MUCH LESS freightening, but don't know, since I've never been west. (I live in Indiana, by Chicago, IL) and 2) Are we safe in our RV's when storm come through? I want to travel through Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Northern California - but will the mountains be too scary?

Thanks for listening! I hope to possibly purchase a Class C later this year and hopefully meet some of you along the road. It sure is comforting to have other single, RVrs to talk to!!

Blessings to all!!
glindsley

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Lovely to hear so much about you, but so sad about your grandson. I love your thought of honoring him by traveling.

I've always felt safe in storms. And one advantage is knowing we can move out of their way if we see them coming in advance.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Welcome from southern Oregon. So sorry about losing your grandson at such a young age, such a shame. But life is for the living and I am sure he will be looking down on you and enjoying your travels.

As for the mountains, out here in the west we do have real mountains lol I live at the bottom of one of the most worrisome passes between Oregon and California and I sure dont find it bothersome. Siskiyou Mountain Pass. The deal with this pass is it is a long steady climb for about 10+ miles. I just putt my way up, slow but steady. I sure wont tackle it if it is storming but I wont tackle any if it is snowing in the passes.
I went to Arizona last winter and everyone said Tehachapi pass was also bad...WHOA piece of cake it was up and down, up and down so totally doable I wasnt even sure I had gone over it LOL So my message is watch your weather, learn to use your transmission instead of your brakes going downhill, and just go uphill at a comfortable speed.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby avalen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Welcome from Arizona
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Azusateach » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 pm

Welcome from a newly retired So. California teacher. :) There are a couple of us educator-types on the forum, so you will find yet another connection with us.

As far as coming "out West" and going over the mountains, there are several ways to get here without climbing the Rockies or Sierras. ;) I think that once you've put a few miles in your rig under your belt you'll feel a bit better about tackling the big hills. I won't say that they can't be anxiety-producing, but when you know your rig and its abilities you'll know what both of you can do.

And as far as traveling without a toad, it certainly can be done, and two ways seem to be the most popular. The first is to buy a small enough rig that you feel comfortable in it in city traffic. I'd say that anything under about 25' would be okay to drive around town without too much white-knuckling, and you'd be able to park it fairly easily. The second way is to rent a car if you're going to be in an area for a couple of days and want to explore. A third option is to get something like an electric bike and carry that on your hitch. That can work for riding within 25-40 miles of your rig, depending on the terrain and type of roads AND the type of electric bike you get (they're definitely not all alike!).

Moving forward with your dream must feel like one of those huge mountains right now, especially with your grandson's death still so fresh. But from what you've shared about him I can imagine him wanting you to get out on the road as quickly as possible. As you said, time's a'wasting! Get your RV and get going! And I'll be in San Juan Capistrano waiting for you to come dip your toe in the Pacific! ;)

Laura
Azusateach

Postby snowball » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm

so sorry for your loss can't imagine anything worse than loosing a child be it yours or a grandchild
and I've lost my husband...as hard as that was I think the other would be worse.
I grew up in those mountains the Rocky Mts that is...in Jackson Wy...and there are roads
I wouldn't take a RV over but see it all the time...but then I am a woose
I am sure you will quickly adjust to driving I would suggest finding a RV driving school I didn't and wish I had.
sheila
snowball

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself