Doggie question here

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Doggie question here

Postby avalen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Maggie has a spot on her front foot she keeps licking. Its
not raw but it could become raw if she doesn't stop. Is there anything
nasty tasting anybody know of to put on it?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: Doggie question here

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Here's a good article: https://www.care.com/c/stories/6460/hom ... s-on-dogs/

Vaporizing rub sometimes did help when Moxie had hot spots. If Maggie will put up with little socks - and it would cover the hot spot, I'd put on on after the vaporizing rub - the longer it's left alone, the better chance she'll not go back to it - at least not right away!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Good article, thanks
avalen

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:12 pm

My dog had a spot on her paw she licked raw and I tried all the nasty tasting stuff didnt stop her because by then it had become a habit. I bought some Coban (vet wrap) and wrapped it up and she left it alone LOL finally took it off and no licking. Just dont wrap it too tight.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby avalen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:11 am

Karen, that's what I did. Bought some vetwrap in colorado and decided it was time to carry out my verbal threats and wrap it. It definitely keeps her from licking.
avalen

Postby Redetotry » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:12 am

avalen wrote:Karen, that's what I did. Bought some vetwrap in colorado and decided it was time to carry out my verbal threats and wrap it. It definitely keeps her from licking.

A nurse gave me some wrap at the hospital when DH was in for a procedure. We got to talking dogs and I told her mine was licking her leg and when I bandaged it with gauze. she got it off and ate it :o she reached in her pocket and said try this. The brand is Coban by 3M. Mitzi couldn't get it off, just be sure not to stretch it as you put it on, don't want to cut off circulation. Before I wrapped it I used Mayan Magic on the spot,a salve that I found at our Coop that is wonderful for healing.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby MandysMom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 am

Coban for people is pricey ! Coban made for horses is quite a bit cheaper back when I bought it.,check farm supply or feed stores as that is where I got several rolls for less than one people Coban. Its same but people type tends to be a flesh color while animal Coban comes in bright colors. Mel has half a roll on his arm at moment trying to protect IV so it will work to,or row for blood draw two more times then done with that part. Day 2 chemo went ok.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 am

Vet Wrap can be found at Tractor Supply and Rural King, for example, in among the horse supplies. I always carry it with me because we use it to wrap English Cocker ears when prepping the dogs for the show ring. I also then have it to wrap and protect my boo boos. I spend a few weeks this summer hiking around with Liz with purple vet wrap on my sprained ankle. It gave enough support to keep the swelling down and strengthen the ankle...not to mention how stylish it looked. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am

Yep, tractor supply, exactly where I bought it, Maggie sports blue right now but next one will be pink :-)
avalen

Postby gingerK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 am

Just a FYI, Shooter often gets hot spots on his shoulder; a vet tech friend recommended Hibiclens to use on it. Last time a spot showed up, I used the Hibiclens and within days it was healing. Not to say that spots of this nature shouldn't be checked out by your vet if you have any doubts, but I know Shoo and his spots and felt comfortable trying the stuff on it. One word of warning: this stuff can stain things. Ask me about the orange spots on my vinyl floor..... :roll:
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby dpf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Just a thought. Maggie might have a grass allergy. You don't have a lot of grass in Arizona and she has been exposed to "green" on your trip. My sister's Boston has grass allergies and does Roxy my friend Missy's Boxer. Both lick their feet constantly unless they are given Benadryl daily.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby avalen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:49 pm

That crossed my mind too, as I know when the cocktails back home dry up she gets itchy around the eyes. Wrapping it with Crystal a few times took her mind off of it and she has nitpicking for now. We do continue to watch though and tell her to stop. She gives me that look and just lays her head down on top of her paw. I haven't had to get the benadryl out yet, but its there if I need it.
avalen

Return to Pets