Flea, Tick and Heartworm Meds

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Flea, Tick and Heartworm Meds

Postby Olive6001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 pm

I've edited this since I posted. I had the numbers wrong.

I've been buying Heartgard and Nexgard from my vet. They're costing me around $1,280 a year, total for both dogs. I think that's right. I think it's about $159 for six months of each product. So around $640 per dog per year. I'm doing sloppy math to make it easy. Do any of you have an online resource that you trust? Or an alternative product? I'd like to order online without a prescription.

I'd like to stay with the "gard" products because I know they work for my dogs with our lifestyle.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Also, I've searched the archives and didn't find any current info.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Re: Flea, Tick and Heartworm Meds

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't know that you can get the heart worm treatments anywhere without a prescription. Our dog gets a shot every 6 months because the Heartguard wasn't working for him. I still have to put something for fleas monthly. We get several vet supply catalogs and you have to have a prescription to order from them.

I have wondered if you can get some of that from Mexico. It wouldn't be worth a special trip just for that.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Olive6001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks Martha. Turns out cost is about half, around $700 a year. I'll switch to Trifexis. And save some. Decision made
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Bethers » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:07 pm

I get my flea meds on Amazon. Last trip to Mexico they weren't less. I did purchase a years worth of Heartworm meds when in Mexico.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm

I get a years worth of Heartguard at my yearly vet visit. $56 PLUS they mail in the $12 rebate for me. My dog is only about $14lbs so I get the Blue Heartguard

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Check....it has been awhile but does Trifexis treat ticks?
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Olive6001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Trifexis doesn't treat tics. Vet tells me tics aren't a problem in this area. I keep the dogs on trails and clear areas when we are away from home. I feel ok about it
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:21 pm

At least you know that if you go a traveling to some other areas you might switch products for a month or so. Between Ohio and Florida I know I have to cover ticks. The east and the Midwest are big tick environments...sadly.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby snowball » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Bethers wrote:I get my flea meds on Amazon. Last trip to Mexico they weren't less. I did purchase a years worth of Heartworm meds when in Mexico.

never thought of getting that in MX do you recall what it cost?
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 pm

snowball wrote:
Bethers wrote:I get my flea meds on Amazon. Last trip to Mexico they weren't less. I did purchase a years worth of Heartworm meds when in Mexico.

never thought of getting that in MX do you recall what it cost?
sheila

I don't Sheila, but I remember I wrote down the price here first and it was better. It was harder to find the vet in Algodonos, but I did one winter and it was worth it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby longdog2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:31 pm

I use californiapetpharmacy.com. A year's supply of Sentinal is $57 for each dog. You provide your Vet's info and they contact the Vet for the prescription. My Vet suggested online for prices better than what they could offer. The Vet just wants to make sure you have the appropriate blood test yearly. My Vet suggested Sentinal because covers more than the Heartguard but you can get the other items there as well.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Redetotry » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:41 am

I've used Sentinel for at least 14 years and it works well. There was a few months it wasn't available due to the production plant but other than that have used it exclusively except for three times when I had to do a topical for ticks. When it first came out I never saw a live tick on the dogs even though it was for fleas and worms. The last few years either the ticks are more resistant or the formula has changed a bit as a couple of times I've had to topically treat for seed ticks. UGH!!!. We have a very high deer population so deer are everywhere day and night. Yesterday afternoon I saw a herd of about 20 run across the yard behind us. It has also been on the market a lot longer than some of the newer preventatives. You can read the differences below. The information does not mention which other worms it controls but it is all but flea tape worms. Be very careful of ordering online as lots of fake meds out there.

Sentinel vs. Trifexis

Both Sentinel and Trifexis had the same medication (milbemycin oxime) for Heartworm and Intestinal Parasite prevention, and both are chewable flavored tablets. The difference is in the flea prevention.

Sentinel contains lufenuron, which is an IGR - or insect growth regulator. Sentinel does not kill fleas, but it essentually sterilizes the adult flea, and any eggs produced are unable to hatch, which means you never get a flea infestation. We generally recommend Sentinel as our #1 Heartworm and flea prevention, if you are not seeing many fleas with your dog, or if your dog has a history of seizures. (http://www.sentinelpet.com)

Trifexis on the other hand, contains spinosad. Spinosad kills the adult flea before it can reproduce, so therefore ending a flea infestation before it can begin. Generally we use Trifexis with dogs who may come in more frequent contact with fleas, have a flea sensitivity, or have an ongoing flea problem. (http://www.trifexis.com)

Here is an added mote about HeartGuard that is very important. I found the information here. The site also reviews other brands and warns against one called B-Mectin.

http://www.dogsbynina.com/best-nail-cli ... heartgard/
HeartGard has been proven to be safe in most breeds of dogs. I say most because there is a warning about giving this medication to herding breeds.

Herding breeds such as collies and shepherds are more sensitive to the active ingredient in HeartGard called Ivermectin. This is due to MDR1 gene. This is surprisingly not listed on the HeartGard website though they do have a lot of information on 1-800-PETMEDS website.

If your dog falls into the category of herding breeds then you should consult with your vet before choosing HeartGard as your heartworm preventative. You may need to choose a brand that uses a different active ingredient.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Azusateach » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 am

I might be playing with fire, but I've quit treating for heart worm. The incidence of it isn't very high out here, and with Jed getting old and having had major stomach issues, I just don't want to chance giving him something that can upset his system. I've never given Tilly anything for heart worm. I use Frontline to treat for fleas and ticks.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby Redetotry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:18 am

Azusateach wrote:I might be playing with fire, but I've quit treating for heart worm. The incidence of it isn't very high out here, and with Jed getting old and having had major stomach issues, I just don't want to chance giving him something that can upset his system. I've never given Tilly anything for heart worm. I use Frontline to treat for fleas and ticks.

Laura

I wish we lived in an area like yours Laura. Where I live it is so bad that if you don't give preventative your dog will get them. They also say to give it year round, used to we just gave maybe 8 months a year. Our vet keeps careful records that we have purchased 12 months of heartworm meds for EACH dog because if your dog does become infected while on preventative, you can usually get the drug company to pay for the treatment. But the treatment is long and has many risk. If I lived where it wasn't needed I would get fecal tests every 6 months whether or not I saw signs of round worm, hook worms or flea tapeworm as dogs can pick up other types of worms from the outdoors.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby gingerK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:31 am

Here's just my 2 cents on Heartgard: it failed to protect my dog from hookworms even though I use it year round. Because I did NOT buy it directly from my vet, Merial would NOT back up their product and refused to pay for my dogs treatment. That ended my relationship with them. IMO, if you guarantee that your product will do something and it fails to do so, make it right with your customer. No matter where it's purchased from.

I currently use Tri-Heart Plus from Merck, I think it costs me about $40/6 pack for the largest (51-100 lbs) size. I have 3 dogs, all that size range and I use it year round. I buy from KV Vet Supply, but the last time I received prescription meds from them, it actually came from another company than KV. There is also California Pet Pharmacy; I use them for my horse's Cushing's meds. They are reasonably priced for her meds, have not used them for my dogs but I will probably check their prices against KV's.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Next

Return to Pets