TX GTG 11-7-08

Let's get together!

TX GTG 11-7-08

Postby Liz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Beth, Diana, Liz, and Belle journeyed to hike up Enchanted Rock just north of Fredericksburg. This is a view of the batholith (once buried solidified molten rock that was exposed by uplift) from the road. Native Americans and early settlers regarded this hill as a special place – giving it the name “Enchanted”

The entrance to the park

Diana was the best prepared according to this checklist…with hat, water, hiking stick and map.

Belle prepares for the climb up the Summit Trail. The granite has a pink color, similar to the granite that was used to build the Texas State Capitol.

Beth leads the ascent.

To the right of Enchanted Rock, the angular hill called Turkey Peak can be seen, so named for the turkey vultures that roost there.

To the left is the smaller dome, Little Rock. You can see the granite exfoliation sheets, caused as the granite expands and breaks into curved sheets.

These rock stripes are called dikes and are sheets of once molten rock that were injected into fractures after the granite solidified.

Weathering pits are depressions formed by erosion, when water and soil collect in the pits they can support various plant and animal life, but are very fragile.

Yellow, black, orange, and green lichen species grow and add colors on the pink granite.

Prickly pear supplied food (both the pads and fruit are edible) for the Native Americans.

Here we are at the summit

This survey marker is at 1825 feet above sea level and marks the highest point on Enchanted Rock.

This lone live oak tree died due to drought and people trampling and compacting the soil around it. It was left as a reminder to visitors to stay out of the weathering pits and vernal pools.

Going down is harder than going up.

After our hike we went to a Mexican Restaurant in Fredericksburg for lunch….Mamacitas

We really liked the décor of this restaurant with stained glass windows and music…here are some pics outside and in

Making tortillas

And Liz enjoyed her Mexican tacos and refried beans

So ends another great day at the TX gtg .
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: TX GTG 11-7-08

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Hmmmmmm, I think I need to remember to keep Liz in front of me to avoid pics of my butt :)

Liz did a wonderful job of telling all about the area - I'll just add a few of my own pics for fun:

Liz and Belle stopped for me to take their pictures on the way up:

Liz, Diana and myself at the top - looking the opposite direction as the pic Liz posted:

Diana studying:

Diana and Liz at the summit sign on the way back down:

The going down was harder in that you take baby steps - but I only got winded going up. (Shouldn't admit that - neither of them did!)

The weather was beautiful for this hike and being during the week in the fall - it wasn't at all busy there. Well, until our trip down when we passed a bunch of kids who were on a school outing.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Wow...you gals had quite the hike.... ;) Great day for it....love the photos....

miss you all....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:31 am

Great pictures. Carol, Jill, Tommy and I stayed at the CG and loafed. Tough day. We regrouped about 5pm for happy hour and our leftover potluck. Carole, the friend who travels with me sometimes, and Vivian came for happy hour. Diane left for home from Enchanted rock and Ernie and Lori had left early in the morning so our group is getting smaller. Not quieter, just smaller. Can't remember when I've had so much fun with so many great women (and men). We're already talking about some of us getting together again in March on the Texas coast. Carole and I are going for a week to Port Lavaca then think we'll meander over to see Beth, Lori and Ernie then on to Brownsville to see Tommy and Jill. UNLESS maybe can all get together somewhere midway. Ummmmm?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:23 pm

OK, who wants to buy my house so I can go on the road and join you all,.... you are having so much fun and it shows! I love your pics and your narrative too!
Cedar518

Return to Get Togethers