My meeting with Liz.

Let's get together!

My meeting with Liz.

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Got together with Liz today for lunch and kayaking in Dunnellon, FL. That is in the middle between her, in Ocala, and me, in Crystal River. What a nice lady! I'm sure those of you who have met her would agree ;) We ate at the Blue Gator, overlooking the Rainbow River. It was a perfect day so we enjoyed eating out on their deck. We did the car shuffle and left her car at our take out and took my car up to KP Hole county park to unload and put in. I took kayaks and gear for both of us, which worked out great as Liz wanted to try out an inflatable. I think she may have liked it enough to buy one! It will work well for her in her class b. It folds up into a bag. My camera is broken :( so she took photos of our adventure. I'm looking forward to seeing them on here! I enjoyed our conversations and getting to know her. We got to see a lot of wildlife and it was a nice warm, relaxing paddle. She was a great help and I think we made a great team. She is looking forward to the TX GTG!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Re: My meeting with Liz.

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

I think Liz felt the same about you and your day together. She has posted pictures and it looked like such a quiet, peaceful time on the water. Glad you got to hook up!
AlmostThere

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:39 pm

It was very relaxing. She has a touchy shoulder so think this was the way to go...I just hope she didn't hurt it helping me unload and load my kayak on top of the car! I love kayaking and everyone is invited to go with me anytime :D As I told Liz, it is therapy for me ;) He photos are AWESOME! I'm working on adding some of her.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby kelpie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I have an inflatable kayak for sale - i want a rigid one. Only used it once. PM me if interested and I'll send details
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby Liz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:39 pm

My shoulder is fine...easy paddling today. And I forgot to stretch as you suggested too. I had a great time....love this stuff. Kellie, I pmed you.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:46 pm

Glad your shoulder is OK! That would be cool if Kellie has what you want!!! Let me know what you find out.

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:55 pm

I pm'd Kellie also.

Linda, I asked in the other post, but will ask you here, also - answer in either one - what type of inflatable do you have and why? I tried one out in Baja and checked on about a dozen others, ruling some out and have 2 on my short list based on what I learned from everyone - but would love your thoughts on yours or what you'd recommend. I would be using in bays, so that might make a difference.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:43 am

I have Stearns. A couple here in the park each have one and have had the same ones for many years. They used to use them for dinghies when they were on a boat and now use them for kayak outings here in FL. We asked them a lot of questions and they love them. J ordered a Sea Eagle, but we decided it was a piece of @#$% and sold it. We do like the inflatable seats from it, so kept them. Some people love theirs, though, so it's all a matter of personal preference. I was glad Liz got to try this one before she buys. That is what I would do, if you're not in a hurry. I would ask to try what other people have. The worse they could say is no and most yakkers would say yes. It seems a bit tougher to paddle than my hard side, especially in the bay when it is rough, but like being able to haul it around myself. My brother swears by solo canoes...another option...kevlar is lighter. Now, are you totally confused? Guess we should start a paddling thread! I'm sure you would get a lot more input.

bikerchic777

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Linda - Glad you & Liz had a great afternoon! I like your new pic. Have a good Saturday. More kayaking??
We are having another very beautiful sunny day here in CA so I will take Rags & Ruffles for a walk at the beach.

Enjoy,
Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby bikerchic777 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:14 am

[b]Must be a bath day for Rags and Ruffles if you're going to the beach. Sounds like fun! Rags and I would join you if we were there. It is beautiful here today, too, but doing laundry and think I will wash the mtc later. Gotta have a chore day too, unfortunately, so I can play some more! Would love some pics of your kids on the beach: -)[b]

bikerchic777

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I have been looking at the Sea Eagles but have never seen one......What attributes turned you off? ...if you are willing to share. I also noticed that their appearances seem to greatly change as they go up in price and ruggedness. I am looking for something that a dog could ride with me...... Thanks. Loved the pictures and I agree with Carolyn....smooth water and little wind work just find for me. My daughter is the one that does the white water with the helmets and nose plugs....on the class III's and IV...... :roll: I am already prepared for her to laugh at any inflatable kayak I may get. :lol:
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Tina, on the inflatables I've tried and liked (the Advanced Elements and the Stearns) both are around $400. And someone took their dog out on an AE while I watched. Shouldn't be any problem. The question would be the size of the dog and where he/she could sit.

Can't say anything about the Sea Eagle - will wait to hear why she didn't like that one also.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I think the Sea Eagle was the Pro 330. Probably their best seller. It is usually sold in a kit, with seats, paddle, etc. Ours kept losing air...I think from a valve. Not good when you're on the water! One time my husband had to get out and walk to the take out while the rest of us paddled on and towed his back :lol: I always take a foot pump with me now, just in case. Didn't really like the shape of it and how it looked when someone sat in it. It didn't track well at all! Can you tell I didn't like it? Maybe the more expensive ones are better. My dog is only 16 lbs so he fits in anything. When I had a large dog it was tougher in a kayak, but doable. It was even tough in a canoe if he moved around. I have taken my granddaughter with me for a number of years. I would just sit her in front of me (in the hard kayak) on a kid's step stool and paddle behind her. She loves it! The younger one likes it now, too. I think it would be even more comfy for them in an inflatable. Rags sure likes it! I put towels in front of me and he snuggles down and takes a nap :)

bikerchic777

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Has anyone used those plastic molded kayaks that you sit on top of? I think they are light and easy to paddle but I wonder how stable they are since there aren't really any sides to them. I had a 9' Perception Swifty. It was a lot of fun, but I ended up selling it a few years ago to pay for new brakes on my car :(
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Liz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:06 am

BarbaraRose wrote:Has anyone used those plastic molded kayaks that you sit on top of? I think they are light and easy to paddle but I wonder how stable they are since there aren't really any sides to them.

I used to have that type. It was very stable....no problem there, but it was definitely NOT light. Had a lot of fun with it, but couldn't transport one like that now.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Next

Return to Get Togethers