My meeting with Liz.

Let's get together!

Re: My meeting with Liz.

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks for the info on your experiences with inflatables......I read the RV Dreamer's Blog off and on and I know that they have several Sea Eagles and recommend them. Always like to have more opinions than just one. The web site does show and talk about what look like small rutters that sit on the bottom of the kayak that are suppose to make them track better. I wonder how long that "fix" has been in the design. Will go and look at several of the other product sites. My hard kayak is the same 9 ft Swifty Perception. (The one that talked me into getting a new windshield last summer :lol: when it tried to ride inside by SUV.) It does JUST fit...but not that day. :roll: I just can't see me lifting it to place it on the rack on the back of the RV AND being able to reach to strap it securely. An the I am now discovering lighter things that DO fit on the back racks, like the X-pens....I can lift those! :) Off to do more reading. I have to say part of what makes me hesitate on the Sea Eagle 330 is that the color (blue and white) and design just appear "cheesy" and does not appear like serious outdoor equipment.... (It doesn't have to make sense) It appears more like a big inflatable pool toy! :? They do show full sized Labs sitting quietly in one of their slightly larger models.....

Going off to read now....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 am

The only problem I had with mine was washing it. I would fill it with water to get any leaves, spiders, sand, etc out of it and tip it over, but it never worked very well because of the shape of it, and was a real pain to clean! The sit-on ones look so much easier! It looks like they have little holes that you plug while using it and then unplug afterwards to let the water drain out the bottom. They look like they would be lightweight but maybe not so much??? They are about the same cost as a regular kayak.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby bikerchic777 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Tina...I was trying to say it nicely, but yes! The Sea Eagle 330 was very cheesy :lol: Sorry to anyone who has one and likes it :oops: It did seem like an inflatable toy. Barbie...I think just about anything is a bit of an effort to clean out except the sit-on-tops. I do like some of those, but not sure for me. Lightweight is a big priority now to manage solo. I like to take a good sponge (not the cheapo kind) and put it on the bottom of the kayak. If I splash water in it, the sponge soaks it up. Then, I just wring it out over the water while I'm on the water. Once it's wet, I can even wipe up my muddy footprints in the kayak and only have to rinse off the outside when I get home ;)
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks for the feed back. I went to several sites and saw a few video clips. The Stearns "looks" more like a kayak. Several reviews referred to it as good for an experienced kayaker...and it did not appear as stable as the "cheesy" SE 330 but it also was not recommended for any white water. (I am looking at stability factors primarily due to the possibility of doggy passenger/s) I was trying to image where a 30 ld pup would fit. I don't think I have to worry about Herschel even wanting to ride. He likes the security of firm ground or swimming water. Don't think at his age he would want to feel the wobblies. I have seen class IV rapids and though I don't plan on going down anything that challenging I was wondering on the Stearn's ability to tackle a faster sometimes rocky river as in the one we like with in this county. Any experience?
BirdbyBird

Postby bikerchic777 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Tina...no experience with rough water in the inflatables. I will use the hard kayak for that. Back in IA the rivers can be very rocky and I have bottomed out many times. Even have to get out and pull the kayak aways sometimes, when the water is low. Don't feel good about that in an inflatable. I have some pretty good scrapes on the bottom of my hard one. As for tracking...I do have skegs for the inflatables so it helps...but I'm not maneuvering through riffles with them either. Nice to have both kinds if you can, but not always the case with RVing.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks......
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:56 am

bikerchic777 wrote:T As for tracking...I do have skegs for the inflatables so it helps...

I'm wondering if the newer Stearns have the skegs...they're not mentioned in the online ads I've been looking at.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 am

Hmmm...I wonder! You could call them and ask. I do think they make a difference. My hard side kayak doesn't have any, but it is shaped so it tracks better. Inflatables are flat on the bottom.

bikerchic777

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 am

Ok, so what are skegs? Are they like a keel to keep the kayak on an even one??!! :)

I wish my canoe had a keel for windy days on open lakes, as I have to adust my course to keep going where I need to go.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 am

a quick search for the term "skegs"..... several sites,..... here is one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeg

I often do a quick look-up for things using yahoo. A lot of people use google, too.
Cedar518

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 am

Okay I'm gonna weigh in here on the Seaeagle330. That's what I have therefore my only point of reference. I love mine. I have not had problems keeping it "clean" but I also put it away in the bag when finished with it. It has skegs on it and that helps with the tracking. It does get a little squirrly in rough water but it does what I need. Sedona rides in mine but then again, she is not Herschel, Tina. I have not had any problems in it leaking but I'm sure Seaeagle would back it up if notified. They are helpful and easy to work with, their customer service that is. I bought the delux package which has the high back seats and I find it very comfortable. My GD has ridden with me and we had no problems. I had another friend ride with me and we were both too big, it's weighted for 500lbs but I don't think it works well w/2 adults even though that is what it says it will accommodate.

A friend in the Rv park I'm in right now borrowed it the other day to go out fishing. He said it worked very well but the wind was really up and he didn't track too well in it going out as I was watching. I think the white caps didn't help in that situation.

I liked the price on mine when I bought it under 300. I carry it in the back of my tow vehicle so I'll have ready access when I need it.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Previous

Return to Get Togethers