Western GTG

Let's get together!

Western GTG

Postby Getupngo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm just feeling out whether there is any interest in having a western GTG. TX, PA and NJ are too far for me with current gas prices. I was thinking maybe a GTG in Moab, Utah in the late spring, perhaps? We could visit Arches, maybe go on a river-rafting day trip, a Jeep Safari and/or partake of other sightseeing opportunities in beautiful red-rock country.

Let me know if this appeals to anyone.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Re: Western GTG

Postby avalen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:45 am

its a good thought, will have to see what my budget holds cause I'd be moteling it
and see what our school schedule is with spring break and such. I'll keep it in the
front of my brain though. It would just be a 6 or 7 hour drive for me.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mtngal » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:54 am

That does sound like fun Janice. Especially with a "local" tour guide! It's a little far ahead for me to plan, but will surely keep it in mind. My whirlwind pass in October will just be an introduction.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 am

I'm not sure of my route north from The Rally in NM (which you could also come to - is a great place to GTG) - but would definitely consider making my way through that part of Utah - love that area.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:42 pm

I didn't know there was going to be a Rally in ABQ this spring. Hmmmm .... maybe we don't have to re-invent the wheel on this, although attending a rally costs more $$ than us just gathering together as women.
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:21 pm

Here's the thread on the Rally:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=289
I'm 99% going to that - as the one I went to this past spring was well worth it. Hopefully this one will be the same. It would be great to have more come to it - but if there are those who don't want to attend the rally - it would also be great to have one soon enough after (or long enough) to get to it and meet the others. So, I wouldn't rule out having another :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby khenrie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:42 pm

I am 100% on going to Moab as it's soooo close! Keep me posted :D
Choose to be happy!

Kimberly
Wife to Randy, mom and grandma
1999 Four Winds Chateau 31'
Photos from our 2011 Travels http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1935970031534.2115989.1010845598&l=5be7ea1322
khenrie

Postby WickedLady » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:55 pm

I would love to do this. Maybe I will have all my ducks in a row by then. Keep us posted.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby cookiemom » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 pm

I also would be interested in a GTG in the Moab area. There seems to be a few of us in this area. I'm sure we would have a great time. If no one is up for Moab, maybe we can meet in Albuquerque like Beth suggested. That would work ok for me too.

Debbie
cookiemom

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:28 pm

If it's after my dates for the Rally- I'd be willing to do Moab or St. George areas - I haven't planned my route now - so if someone is up to planning something - please do it before I get more set in stone. I do know that Sparkle and I are talking about exploring in New Mexico in April - before she heads to her summer job and me north to Alaska - so she might be open to a GTG also.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Okay, I hear all of you! I'll start looking more closely at a GTG after New Year's.
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby dcricket » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:39 am

I've heard Moab is gorgeous, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make that trek. :( One day though...
If any of you would like a GTG somewhere in SoCal area in the future, I'm sure something could be set in the works.
:)
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby Getupngo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:01 am

Hi everyone ...

With the holiday past, I started thinking about places for us to do a Western GTG in Moab. I want to know how important it is to you to be IN Moab proper, to be able to just walk around town. Or would you like an outlying, scenic area?

The Canyonlands RV Park is right in town, and you easily can walk to restaurants & browse through shops. 2009 rates are not yet posted, but in '08 FHU's were $34 a night & $31 for water & electric only (has cable TV & free wifi). Have to drive to national parks.

Another option is the spectacularly beautiful Dead Horse Point State Park. It would be a completely different experience, and much cheaper. You fill water tanks before you arrive and electric-only sites are $21, there is a group area and you can make reservations.

The national parks are not an option because they are first-come, first-served.

I kind of lean toward in-town accommodations, because it's simple for people to go do things separately or in small groups or larger groups as they please. At the state park, any off-site activity would require a lot of organization.

There are a number of things we could do ... Arches National Park is just outside of Moab and has wonderful scenic hikes. We could do a day-trip down the Colorado River (in spring the rapids are a lot of fun and those who paddle can bring their own boats). We could bicycle (rentals are available) through the red rock and there are routes for the less athletic. There are also jeep safari companies that could take us through the astonishingly beautiful backcountry.

Also, since Beth recently put up a new web site for Open Roads Singles (with which we share many members), I thought it might be fun to open the GTG to them as well.

So, what do you think? Feedback, please! I was thinking about late April, early May. The weather is beautiful, but that is also peak season for the mountain bikers. So we need to get a'planning!

So, ladies ... what is your pleasure?
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Getupngo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:06 am

Hi everyone ...

With the holiday past, I started thinking about places for us to do a Western GTG in Moab. I want to know how important it is to you to be IN Moab proper, to be able to just walk around town. Or would you like an outlying, scenic area?

The Canyonlands Campground is right in town, and you easily can walk to restaurants & browse through shops. Its 2009 rates are not yet posted, but in '08 FHU's were $34 a night & $31 for water & electric only (has cable TV & free wifi). Have to drive to national parks.

Another option is the spectacularly beautiful Dead Horse Point State Park 18 miles from Moab. It would be a completely different experience, and much cheaper. You fill water tanks before you arrive and electric-only sites are $21, there is a group area and you can make reservations. Dump station.

The national parks are not an option for camping because they are first-come, first-served.

I kind of lean toward in-town accommodations, because it's simple for people to go do things separately or in small groups or larger groups as they please. At the state park, any off-site activity would require a lot of organization.

There are a number of things we could do ... Arches National Park is just outside of Moab and has wonderful scenic hikes. We could do a day-trip down the Colorado River (in spring the rapids are a lot of fun and those who paddle can bring their own boats). We could bicycle (rentals are available) through the red rock and there are routes for the less athletic. There are also jeep safari companies that could take us through the astonishingly beautiful backcountry.

Also, since Beth recently put up a new web site for Open Roads Singles (with which we share many members), I thought it might be fun to open the GTG to them as well.

So, what do you think? Feedback, please! I was thinking about late April, early May. The weather is beautiful, but that is also peak season for the mountain bikers. So we need to get a'planning!

So, ladies ... what is your pleasure?
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby cookiemom » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Janice,

I'm so glad you are beginning the process for a GTG in Moab. I prefer the in-town option like you said so everyone can walk to restaurants, shops, etc. but I am flexible if everyone else doesn't want to stay in-town.

I have read good reviews on the Canyonlands Campground and have seen it as I drove through town. It looked like it has shaded sites. I think it sounds like the perfect location.

I agree about late April to early May, perfect weather!

I'm very excited to see this moving forward and think it sounds great.

Debbie
cookiemom

Next

Return to Get Togethers