Quartzite 2018 - Jan 20-28

Let's get together!

Quartzite 2018 - Jan 20-28

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:16 am

I'd be interested in Quartzite in January and I know some of you have plans to be there also. Who is going? And what's the scoop? I think it's free and think it's no hookups and I think some of you have regular places where you part it, but any info would be appreciated. The big question ~ where the heck is it in AZ? (yes, thinking could be dangerous to my health ;) )
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: Quartzite 2018

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:46 am

Cheryl, I've been meaning to start a thread. We normally gtg by where Sheila winters in La Posa north blm. Quartzsite itself is west of Phoenix, almost to California. La Posa north is a long term blm area, which requires Fee a fee. Sheila and those for the entire winter pay $180. Those of us short-term can stay up to two weeks for $40. There are short-term areas with no fee, but I find it nice to be together.

This year the big dates are January 20-28. I'm going to try to be there close to all of it. Some come for the week, some for a few days, etc. It's very laid back gtg.

I made this a sticky and added the dates to the headline.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Quartzite 2018 - Jan 20-28

Postby avalen » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 am

I'll be there, if fact I'm contemplating spending the season so I can sock away some $$
Would love to have you join us, Bring a sweater, it cools off at night lol
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cudedog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:11 am

avalen wrote:I'll be there, if fact I'm contemplating spending the season so I can sock away some $$
Would love to have you join us, Bring a sweater, it cools off at night lol

I guess I need to put Q on my "maybe" list.

I really am itching to take a look at your Class A. :-)

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby monik7 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:13 am

I'll be there most likely for the whole time. Love this GTG and add the RV show, big tent, vendors, etc. and it makes for a great time.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 am

Bethers wrote:..

We normally gtg by where Sheila winters in La Posa north blm. Quartzsite itself is west of Phoenix, almost to California. La Posa north is a long term blm area, which requires Fee a fee. Sheila and those for the entire winter pay $180. Those of us short-term can stay up to two weeks for $40. There are short-term areas with no fee, but I find it nice to be together..

I made this a sticky and added the dates to the headline.

Thanks for the specific dates. Is there a link to reservations where you stay? Or pay when you get there & if you find a spot?
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby monik7 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 pm

IrishIroamed wrote:Thanks for the specific dates. Is there a link to reservations where you stay? Or pay when you get there & if you find a spot?

No reservations required if you stay in La Posa North. It's thousands of acres of BLM land and finding boondocking space is no problem. We all usually congregate around where Sheila spends the winter. As Beth said, if you stay 14 days or less, it's $40 and you pay as you enter La Posa North. There are also RV parks in Q if you want hookups and reservations would be recommended well in advance if that's your choice. It is, however, much more fun in my opinion to all be gathered around Sheila's area and makes potlucks and campfires easy. I can taste Sheila's Navajo tacos now!
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 pm

avalen wrote: Bring a sweater, it cools off at night lol

Now last year that was an understatement. I damn near froze the entire time it was cold (ice on my table and chairs) and windy. Hardly able to visit with anyone so we all spent most of the time in our own rigs. I saw Beth when we were walking our dogs and I did go over to the Big Tent with Alice. We all went out to dinner one night but the rest of the time spent by myself. Nobody's fault just the weather. I left early.

So that being said I sure hope you all have better weather and are able to enjoy each others company more than we were. I will look forward to pics Have fun.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:17 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:
avalen wrote: Bring a sweater, it cools off at night lol

Now last year that was an understatement. I damn near froze the entire time it was cold (ice on my table and chairs) and windy. Hardly able to visit with anyone so we all spent most of the time in our own rigs. I saw Beth when we were walking our dogs and I did go over to the Big Tent with Alice. We all went out to dinner one night but the rest of the time spent by myself. Nobody's fault just the weather. I left early.

So that being said I sure hope you all have better weather and are able to enjoy each others company more than we were. I will look forward to pics Have fun.

I hope people won't decide not to come based solely on last January's experience. We all know anomalies in weather occur. Before last year I had attended 4 Q GTGs and for every one the weather was perfect. It was warm during the days and T-shirts were the standard daytime wear. The nights usually always cool off in the desert so nights and mornings were cool and Alice's recommendation to bring a sweater would apply every year. No one knows what the weather will be but I'm going hoping it will be the more standard beautiful weather.
Sandi

monik7

Postby avalen » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Yep, what Sandi said, its usually nice every day, last year was odd
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 pm

I certainly am not trying to discourage anyone from going. I was just relating my experience last year. The weather was crazy all over last year. Many records of snowfall and freezing were happening while I was gone from my home so it was bad all over. I know they have had excellent weather there most of the years before, I just hit a bad year. Actually I am thinking I might be a jinx ha ha Had a GTG at the coast here in Oregon and it was COLD WET and RAINY the whole time, another GTG it was hotter than Hades and most of us got the crud and were down and out for many days. But on a different note, I went to the GTG at Susanville last month and the weather was great and no one got sick LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby snowball » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:03 pm

I am so hoping for better weather...it was so lousy we didn't do anything other than the big tent...there is another "show" either just before or just after like a few days coincide... a gem show...at the QIA
Ava that would be a good idea to check the area a bit longer I know there are lots of rv parks that you can put the 5th wheel some day if it suits you...
Karen I felt so bad that you had such a bad time it was wicked every where...but wish you would try us again...
it's been awhile since we made Najaho Taco's but it will happen hopefully the weather will be respectful of our wishes :roll:
I think Red is coming as well although haven't heard for a positive...
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Last year was crazy. Cold in January, then record highs in February. I'll take both of those over the hurricanes, rain, droughts and fires everywhere right now. And, Karen, we had a great day at the Desert Museum in Tucson... So the weather cooperated for you a couple times lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:03 pm

I don't know how the winter will work out for me -- but I'm going to try for Quartzite! Hope to see everybody there!
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Bethers wrote:Last year was crazy. Cold in January, then record highs in February. I'll take both of those over the hurricanes, rain, droughts and fires everywhere right now. And, Karen, we had a great day at the Desert Museum in Tucson... So the weather cooperated for you a couple times lol

That was actually the highlight of my trip. I enjoyed Tucson also Had some windy days but mostly the sun was out so it was nice during the day but chilly at night (the usual) Yuma was good too.
Had a sunny warm day when I went to Tombstone and the Kartchner Caverns so all was not lost. It just turned super chilly and windy in Q and that was a disappointment to me, mainly because we didnt get much visiting time. So here is hoping you all have a GREAT time this year and the weather cooperates.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Next

Return to Get Togethers