Quartzite 2018 - Jan 20-28

Let's get together!

Re: Quartzite 2018 - Jan 20-28

Postby WickedLady » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:56 pm

I posted that I would be there for a while (have 3/4 groups to visit) but it seems to have disappeared.
WickedLady

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:43 pm

WickedLady wrote:I posted that I would be there for a while (have 3/4 groups to visit) but it seems to have disappeared.

It didn't disappear... You posted that in the Traveling in the Fall post. :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby WickedLady » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:14 pm

:oops:
WickedLady

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:51 pm

I go to Q every year, almost. I will be there this year for my two weeks no matter what the weather. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Cudedog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm giving serious thinking to going to Q in January.

I can generally do cold, but I don't have heat in my van (unless I have hookups), and the extreme cold that everyone is talking about that was last year has me concerned.

I have been researching the Mr. Buddy line of heaters, looking at YouTube videos & etc., - but they all look kind of scary to me. I'm not real comfortable with having an open flame inside the tiny space of my van, and the CO2 issues concern me as well.

Thoughts, anyone?

If it's a normal year, could I do without a heater at night?

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby SoCalGalcas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Annie, I have a Mr Buddy heater. I always have a window open slightly when it is on. I never run it at night when I’m bed..NEVER. These heaters are very Safe if used properly. However, there are those who would never use one. I guess it is a matter of opinion. Lyn

SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 pm

My new B only has a heat pump (electric) so I'll probably be getting the Buddy for when boondocking. I need to see if I can run a line directly to my propane tank instead of using the small bottles. I've been looking at building one in, but they are so much more expensive. We'll see, as this winter I'll probably be with just the heat pump... Therefore will need my generator.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Right now I am heatless...the fireplace won't stay lite they believe that it is a sensor that says there isn't
enough oxygen in the air...last year it did this but worked down in Q so hoping that will remain true this year. and for some reason who knows why the furnace isn't working so I have been whining a lot...it is cold...other than the last couple of days so pleasant actually didn't wear a sweatshirt today....so to give me a bit of
heat I got a medium size buddy I tried to get the gas people to hook it up to a hose to an outside canister but they aren't allowed to do so...so if I have to rely on this for heat I will have to have someone show me what to do...I think it will do the trick for both of you I still find myself cold but my living room and kitchen area is bigger than your whole rig... I really think you will be ok with it....right now I wish I had gotten the larger size but don't think they had one and when I got it was hoping the part would be here soon...now I don't have that anticipation :roll: hope you decide to come Anne it will be fun getting to meet you...looking forward to seeing all who can make it....
sheila
snowball

Postby Cudedog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:43 pm

snowball wrote:hope you decide to come Anne it will be fun getting to meet you...looking forward to seeing all who can make it....
sheila

Why, thank you! I think it would be fun getting to meet you too!

I haven't totally made up my mind to come, but am definitely leaning in that direction. In order to come, and be comfortable (and who wants to go camping and be uncomfortable?) I will need to have the solar install finished in my van.

After a lot of research and decision-making, I ordered the panels from Amazon (200w folding monocrystaline), got the batteries yesterday (three 75ah deep cycle) and am going to call tomorrow about getting a (what do you call it?) battery isolater installed in my van (so that my house batteries will also charge while I am driving).

So things are moving along! This is being a really fun project. I will post more
later on my solar thread.

Thanks again! :-)

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks for all of the input on the Mr. Buddy. I may need to give it a re-think, especially if I come to Q.

Another question (probably a dumb one): Is there Verizon cell service where everyone hangs out?

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:35 am

Anne, yes to Verizon. And AT&T. I can't say about others.

Hope you can make it. This is one of the most laid back gtgs!
Beth
Bethers

Postby snowball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am

years ago I was going to get the air card for internet heard Sprint had it so went into the store and told her where I would be using it at...she said that sprint didn't work there so went to the
Verizon store...I assume that sprint now works there but don't have first hand knowledge...I use verizon Beth uses ATT so we know those work...
any questions about Q feel free to ask someone will answer
sheila
Last edited by snowball on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowball

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:56 pm

My Verizon cell phone works great in Q. There is a McDonalds in town if you want free wi-if. I use my phone for a hot spot.
Lyn

SoCalGalcas

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Quartzite Parvo Warning

I received the below from Eileen (beazle) today & she is OK with me passing on this information.

"All - I am copying and pasting a post from a friend of mine (Charlie Clevenger) who is currently in Quartzite.
~~~~~~
Heads up if your planning to winter in Quartzite.
My pup has gotten Parvo.
He’s surviving, but it has been a long hard week for him. I was in the middle of getting the vaccinations. As it’s a three shot series.
It’s in the dirt here. And it’s everywhere. The vets all over Arizona are packed with Parvo cases.
Some vets are so backed up by it. They are not seeing any more new patients. Not even emergencies.
I have to drive him to Yuma 2 hours one way. To see a vet. And it’s expensive. I’m 1,200 bucks into him for meds and vets. And he’s only been there twice so far.
He hasn’t eaten in a week. And I’ve been sticking needles in him every 8 hours to keep him hydrated with IV fluids. If you have a young puppy make sure there are fully vaccinated before bringing them here please. If not you will most likely be issuing them a death sentence here.
My pup seems to be finally responding to the meds. He’s seems just a bit more himself this morning. Still won’t eat or drink though. But for first time In A week. Gave me a few kisses this morning.
I now spray bleach on my shoes every time I walk in my bus.
Just be careful and know it’s very prevalent here.
There is also another disease here called valley fever. Dogs cats and humans can get it. Everyone here called it the Quartzite crud. It’s a respiratory disease. I don’t know a lot about it. But it’s here that I know.
I’m only now staying here. Because I have a job and need to build my savings back up from paying vet bills. Then I’m out of here and not risking my pups life here any further. I won’t be returning here after this winter."
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby avalen » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Valley fever is common in Arizona as well as in the San Joaquin valley in California. It's why my Bandit got tested every year for valley fever. It was always negative but the oleanders here made him chronically sick all the time (8 years)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers