Myakka River State Park, FL, Dec. 11-18, 2016

Let's get together!

Myakka River State Park, FL, Dec. 11-18, 2016

Postby Liz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 am

I also made a reservation for a week at Myakka River State Park from Dec. 11-18, 2016, if anyone wants to join me there. I will be in Site 2 BF.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Myakka-River
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Myakka River State Park, FL, Dec. 11-18, 2016

Postby JudyJB » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 am

Liz, I made my reservations a long time ago, but I am going to be in Myakka from December 15-26, so I will definitely see you there. I have site 64 in the newer full hookup section, but can ride my bike to where you will be. I spent Christmas 2012 and 2014 there, just before flying off to Ohio to see my kids.

For all of you reading this, Myakka is one of my favorite state parks in Florida because of the animals and birds, as well as the opportunities for bike riding. They offer boat tours of the lake, tram tours, a canopy walk, bird tours, etc. It is also not too far from Sarasota and the beaches there.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby chalet05 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Site 5
Anita
chalet05

Postby carold » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:54 pm

We winter right by Myakka, so will definitely make some visits. carold. Another successful post..one out of five trys.
carold

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:01 am

Some day maybe, but not yet for me Liz, but I do have a question. Isn't this the place where birds (vultures maybe) eat windshield wipers? If yes, what is your way to stop them from ripping yours off & eating them?
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Liz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:44 am

IrishIroamed wrote:Some day maybe, but not yet for me Liz, but I do have a question. Isn't this the place where birds (vultures maybe) eat windshield wipers? If yes, what is your way to stop them from ripping yours off & eating them?

I encountered a sign to that effect when in the Everglades, but not sure about here. I saw people covering them with tarps or whatever.
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby JudyJB » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Actually, they do have a vulture problem at Myakka--black vultures and turkey vultures. I have been there several times, and the biggest problem is in the campground nearest the lake. Mostly the birds roost in the trees near the campground at night, depositing smelly poop, so every night about dusk, just when they are starting to roost, the camp hosts take this gun and shoot off what can only be described as a sort of fire cracker. It whizzes and makes a shrieking sound while doing spirals and sparking on the way up. Then it goes BOOM! Vultures do NOT like it, so they fly elsewhere. Overall, they are very badly behaved birds!

And they don't eat the wipers or rubber parts--just have fun tearing them up. Must be bored birds.

They mostly bother cars and trucks in the big parking lot by the lake, but don't like to get under Class C motorhome overhangs to get at wipers. However, it is suggested you put plastic grocery bags around the wipers and maybe even the side mirrors, fastening them with rubber bands or tape. In motorhomes or trailers, they prefer to land on the roof and check out things like the wiring to TV antennas and satellite dishes. :o Never bothered mine there.

I have to tell you about my trip to a bird sanctuary in Sarasota. These are all sorts of injured birds that can't be released. Anyway, there was no one but me there, so I stopped in front of a cage with two black vultures. One kept cocking his/her head and looking at me. Finally, he hopped off his perch, flew to a corner of his cage, picked up an orange pumpkin squeaky toy, and then hopped over to me and dropped it in front of me!! Changed my opinion of these bad birds entirely. I think he must have thought I looked like one of the keepers.

The worst problems are down in the Everglades at Royal Palm. They have loaner tarps there to cover your car, but don't know what you can do with a motorhome.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Travelinana » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:50 am

I decided it was time to plan a trip. I wanted to go this summer up to the great lakes. Not many will know me but I joined in 2010, was a dropout for a couple of years and haven't made many get togethers. I have reserved a site # 12 BF. I will also go to Silver Springs the week before.
Nancy & Rudy Image
Finding wealth in what you are and not what you have. Living with less is living well indeed.
~Gigi Galluzzo
Travelinana

Postby chalet05 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:54 am

Travelinana wrote:I decided it was time to plan a trip. I wanted to go this summer up to the great lakes. Not many will know me but I joined in 2010, was a dropout for a couple of years and haven't made many get togethers. I have reserved a site # 12 BF. I will also go to Silver Springs the week before.

I am so happy to see this!!
Anita
chalet05

Postby Liz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Wonderful! It will be good to see you again.
Liz
Liz

Postby Travelinana » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:09 pm

I wanted to let those of you know who are going to Myakka and or Silver Springs about what I found to scare off the birds. It might not work but it didn't cost much. I was in our hardware store and noticed these inflatable snakes. They are large, the question will be how to mount them on the roof and windshield. I would assume some of you have tried different things. If this is one that did or didn't work for you please let us know. They are still in the package and in the RV or I would tell the exact size but I do remember that inflated they will be large. My foot pump should have them inflated in a few minutes. They might not scare the birds but they will give the walkers a good laugh.
Nancy & Rudy Image
Finding wealth in what you are and not what you have. Living with less is living well indeed.
~Gigi Galluzzo
Travelinana

Postby JudyJB » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:42 pm

The only time I actually saw a vulture hanging around my motorhome was in Royal Palms in the Everglades. They never hung around at Myakka so I did not worry about them.

I WOULD like to see a photo of your rig with the inflated snakes, however! :lol:

Another thought--since vultures eat carrion, I wonder if the inflated snakes would attract the birds. You know, "Yum! A really huge meal in sight!"
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:35 pm

I parked under vultures more than once boondocking. They never pooped on my rig from their night time perches and were never a problem. Unless I had a problem I wouldn't worry about them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Carolinagal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 am

I am a total non snake person !!! I can't even deal with the fake snakes. Thanks to a couple of very young uncles when I was 3 or 4 they scared the heck out of me with all even with a fake ashtray of my grandpas, they did this constantly because they always got great screams out of me. I'm grown now, I think, but still can not get myself to accept them and don't touch me with one, I'm dead if you do. So that idea won't work for me, guess I will have to deal with the birds and just go up to my wash and wax guy quick. :lol:

I've had to shoot a couple of rattle snakes in my life time, they were after my kitty and one time my dog, so had too. I hated doing that, but still do not like them at all !!!

Also, if any of you do get one, warn me ok,, as a kindness, as I really do have a fear beyond reason of them and i'm an old lady now :lol: :lol: :lol: and the heart might not stand it :lol: :lol:

CArol
Carolinagal

Postby chalet05 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:54 am

Thought I'd bump this up.
Anita
chalet05

Next

Return to Get Togethers