Covered Bridge Touring, Rockvillle, IN Sept 15th-18th

Let's get together!

Re: Covered Bridge Touring, Rockvillle, IN Sept 15th-18th

Postby Colliemom » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:04 am

Well, my story is definitely different then those of the others. We divided into two vehicles, Liz's and my truck and headed out. At the second bridge we stopped at, I discovered that somewhere along the line between the campground, the little village of Marshall where we stopped to take a picture of the Marshall Arch, the first bridge we stopped at, the one Liz posted above, and then the second bridge we stopped at, that somebody stole the hitch off the back of my truck :o Figure it may have been at the first bridge as we were all down at the bridge and I happened to see a pickup truck drive by as we were coming back up the hill from the bridge.

Checked with campground office as to location of nearest RV dealer which was about 35 miles away in Terre Haute. Friend Brenda and I went down there, explained situation, they said to bring trailer down and they would see if they could get me new hitch. This is a specialized hitch, not just an everyday run of the mill kind. Due to the height of trailer being lower than my truck, needs a special drawbar. Took trailer down on friend Brenda's van as she has same type hitch up as mine. Dealer had hitches but not the right on for my trailer. So.....had to leave trailer at dealers while they called and ordered the right part, supposed to be in next day. Left truc kand trailer at dealers. Spent night in Brenda's trailer. Missed bridge touring that day of course. Back to dealer next morning, part came in, wrong angle, couldn't use. So had to order another one. Leave trailer at dealers another day, spend night in Brenda's trailer :roll: By then it's Friday and check out time at park, as rest of group headed for Shipshewana. I back to Terre Haute. And yay, part arrived about a half hour after I got there and this time right one. So they got me back on the road in about an hour and a half. They had already parked the trailer in the shop, with parts ready to attach as soon s part arrived. I then began the long drive north to Shipshewana, finally arriving around 6 p.m., just ahead of the next weather front coming in. Whew. Couple of detours on the way up too, but no big deal.

But did get down to the Bridgeton Bridge and Mill, the one that Ann said was burned down and got some pictures. So I am satisfied. And I have to thank the ladies, Liz, Brenda (whom I am in debt to for life I think :lol: ), Cathy, Claudia, Roberta, Becky, CArol and Sarah, for their support and also their willingness to backtrack our route, just to see if maybe we could find that hitch, giving up their morning of bridge touring. Such a wonderful group this is when one has a problem and need of assistance. Seen it on here more than once.

So other than losing a day enjoying bridge touring with the others, I am a happy camper, my bankbook perhaps not so, but in the end it all worked out, I have wonderful group of new friends and old ones and am now happily on my site in Shipshewana and we are off to new adventures. And if any of you should happen to be near Terre Haute and run into RV issues, be sure to go to Wetknight's RV as they went way and beyond the call of duty to get me back on the road and took really good care of my trailer, making sure it was plugged in so my fridge stayed cold.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Queen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:10 am

Wow, Sue! So sorry that happened, but so glad the gals had your back.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 am

What adventures at this GTG!!! Glad it was all taken care of successfully. Aren't the Forum ladies the best!!! lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Azusateach » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:49 am

Glad the RV place was able to get you all fixed up, Sue.

Maybe it goes without saying now, but you can get a locking pin for your hitch. I've heard of people losing their trailer on the road because someone pulled the cotter pin from the bigger pin(?) while they were stopped. Lots of auto parts stores sell them.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby snowball » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:46 pm

that is too bad that you had these troubles but glad your friend was with you and you
had the back up of the forum girls
too bad that people seem to have the concept that what's yours is mine
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:17 am

Sue, glad it all got fixed ... and even better that you were with friends while it was happening. Sad that it happened, though. I agree, time for a locking pin!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:53 pm

I posted some pics of the ladies and covered bridges. It was so nice to meet everyone.

http://irishiroamiwrite.blogspot.com/2015/09/indiana-covered-bridges.html
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks, Cheryl. Enjoyed meeting you and the photos. I agree, expected a lot of variation in appearance of the bridges rather than all nearly the same except for length.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Liz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Great pictures, Cheryl. So glad you came.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Only a couple of photos to add here

View of Rockville Lake from my camp site - that is Carol & Maggie down by lake

You know there always has to be an ice cream stop (Liz, Carol, Claudia and Cheryl)
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Liz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Blog post from before, during and after both gigs. I posted under Ships too.
http://wheres-liz-2015.blogspot.com/2015/09/indiana-get-togethers-and-adventures.html
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Previous

Return to Get Togethers