Michigan GTG - June 19-22, 2015 - Frankenmuth

Let's get together!

Re: Michigan GTG - June 19-24, 2015

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:29 pm

When 5 of us stayed at Mill Creek in 2013, we took the super saver sites (not on water) with W & E , 30A for a lot less than the rates you mentioned. Not sure but think sites were about $20.00, maybe less. Our interior sites were across from a play ground; Aug/Sept time frame; very few children. Think Mill Creek also has a few cabins in case there are some w/o RV yet.
If you stay there, you might also enjoy the lumberjack show - about 5 miles away. We also enjoyed Mackinaw City and had our first ever pasties.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:38 am

Bay City is only a few miles north of Frankenmuth but it is a dead city with absolutely nothing to do there. Even downtown has nothing but empty stores with the exception of one shoe store and a candy shop. It is a factory town with closed factories. This time of year there should not be a problem with hoards of kids in Frankenmuth. I have stayed in other Jellystone Parks with no problems.

Does your answer mean you would not attend either location, Melissa?
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby gingerK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:58 am

Judi, either one is ok by me. Just pick one and those who can attend will; those who can't will meet up somewhere else another time.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby MelissaD » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 pm

I'm good with either. Guess I would prefer Frankenmuth Jellystone Park in Frankenmuth, MI if the others are OK with it. Not familiar with what the different MI towns offed so I'll trust you all for that. We keep the camper in Wapakoneta OH (south of Lima) so Frankenmuth is about 4 hours and the people coming from Chicago will have about a 4 hour drive.
MelissaD

Postby Colliemom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Although I did suggest Frankenmuth as a GTG destination, after spending some time looking at the Jellystone park site, their rates are a bit steep. Wondering how many of you want to pay that for a GTG.

I also suggested and will suggest again, the Brighton Recreation Area, www.brightonrecreationarea.com as an alternative. Although it does require a MI entry passport, either yearly or daily, the rates are much cheaper and has electrical hookups. From what I have seen on the wwwmidnrreservations.com site, the sites look really nice, large, shaded and also some grass. The area has lakes, hiking rails and a dog area, horseback riding, beaches etc. A lot of the state parks and maybe the rec areas too that are on lakes rent out kayaks, so that's another option. It's about an hour away from Frankenmuth, so that can be done for a day outing if anybody interested.

It seems like most people would prefer to stay in southern MI due to distances having to travel. Mackinaw Mill Creek would be all of a 6 hour drive north of the MI border. Bit oo far for those of you who are working and might like a quick weekend GTG.

Anyway, just throwing out an alternative.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Bethers » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Sorry if I sound gruff but I'm dealing with bronchitis and everyone else in the house is under the weather. Please read this as a conversation between friends and in the spirit of a pros and cons discussion.

Although money is an issue, it's not the limiting issue. While I can get by on 30 amp service for a night or two I have to shift loads to propane to ensure I have the AC for Phoenix's temp sensitive asthma. While AC is probably a minor issue for most, I have to provide 70 year round for her. The other concern I have with the state park is running off my FW tank. We do not use public showers as a rule (why I bought an RV) so we are limited to about 2 days. If I can string hose and refill I can go about 4 days then I need to dump a tank. It's worth the extra money to us to have the full hookup or a honey wagon. I also search a few sites and I'm just seeing grass.

Between Good Sam and Passport America I can usually bring my cost to around $240 for 7 days in a commercial CG with 50 amp FH. Since I hope to come up for a week (5 days min) I'd rather not worry about water. To save the few bucks it not worth it to me. I've already figured out we will probably need to park separate from the group to get my 50 amp. I understand that is twice the cost of the state park. I'd rather spend the $100 difference in the CG than on fuel ($100 in diesel in about 280 miles at current fuel prices).

Maybe it's a difference in camping styles but we really don't camp. The RV allows us to travel (get out of the house) and still maintain a healthy environment (home) for Phoenix and hopefully good memories for the GB.

Let the group decide what they want to do and if we can make it we will. While the park system is awesome for many it just does not have the facilities we need. I realize I pay more for that but for us it "just the cost of doing business".

I vote Frankenmuth Jellystone Park in Frankenmuth, MI but will understand if the group choses elsewhere. We also need to firm this up as I'm sure some of use will need to submit vacation requests this month for the year.
MelissaD

Postby Colliemom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks Melissa, I know you have Phoenix's issue to be concerned with and that makes a big difference. I know Sarah was concerned about her PAP machine when she first got to MI two summers ago, and others in this group have to deal with or had to deal with health related issues.

I too would go to Frankenmuth . It's a lovely little German town, very quaint and all the buildings are in the German style Bavarian architecture. You almost feel like you are in Germany. Like Judy said, they are famous for their family style Chicken dinners and also have cafeteria style as well, plus a great meat market and a bakery with all of their different foods and breads available for purchase. The Riverboat thing sounds neat too and although many of you probably might not be in a Christmas mood, you have never seen anything like Bronner's. It's spectacular. Seems like there's a mini golf course around there too if I'm not mistaken. So it gives us a chance to either just enjoy each others company, browse the town and do whatever else we want. Oh yeah, if you like to eat out and I mean eat. Tony's Restaurant is right off the same exit to Frankenmuth. Now be warned, that place piles on the food or used to. Like if you order breakfast, you will be eating it for three days, ha ha.
I've seen 4 ladies eating one huge sundae. I haven't been there in a number of years but heard they are still there. Need to check and see if there are sites available for those dates too as the southern campgronds book up earlier then the northern ones. Frankenmuth has a Bavarian Festival the middle of June too. All kinds of activities but I think it's the week before the GTG.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:07 pm

I'll come to any of the places mentioned. I can only stay a couple of nights at the pricier ones, but will be so much fun to see everybody!
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Re: Michigan GTG - June 19-22, 2015 - Frankenmuth

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:32 pm

OK, I am going to make an executive decision.

I will be at the Jellystone Park in Frankenmuth, MI, from Friday, June 19, leaving on Tuesday, June 23. That is four nights. Anyone who wants to join me there, can. If the cost is too much, you can stay only Friday and Saturday night.
I really think this is the perfect solution. We will all save money on gas. The extra 200 miles not driven to Mackinaw City will save a couple of hundred dollars, based on my puny 8.5 MPG, which will more than make up for the extra cost of the campground.

Frankenmuth is a great small town for walking around and shopping. The huge Christmas store is just across the street from the campground. (You cannot miss the billboards for Bronner's as you enter Michigan.) We will have a pot luck on Friday, but Saturday MUST be a chicken dinner in town!! Menu is here: http://www.zehnders.com/dining/zehndersrestaurant.htm#03 Dinner comes with homemade soup, relishes, fantastic bread, cheese spread, mashed potatoes, dressing, egg noodles, vegetables, and ice cream and is all-you-can-eat! The Frankenmuth Inn (chicken place) also has a doll and toy store, candy shop, incredibly good German bakery, and much more for about $21 per person. There is a pleasant town park, German mechanical clock tower, and covered bridge. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this location.

Now, I also invite anyone to join me the week before (June 13-18) at Sterling State Park, in Monroe, MI, just off I-75. (This is on the way to Frankenmuth for some of you.) It is a very large park right on Lake Erie with views from every site because there are not many trees. This state park has both full hookup and W&E sites and both back-in and pull through. All sites are decent asphalt and the pull throughs are very long. Sites are fairly well spread apart, also. Many of the sites are directly overlooking or on the water. There are also a few miles of paved hike/bike trails and large ponds for kayaking. You can even walk to a War of 1812 Battlefield and museum. The beach is good for walking. (One strong suggestion, however, is that you reserve in the Northeast end of the campground because of a very low rumble from the coal-fired Detroit Edison plant on the South end.) Yes, there are state park entrance fees, but I think it is worth it. Out of state annual permit is $9 per day, or $31 per year, which is what I will be buying. There is a $6 fee for a towed vehicle that is good for your entire stay in a single park. I will have to spend some time getting papers done for the semester, but there are lots of things to do there, also. I use this as my base when I am in Michigan because it is not too far from doctors and dentists, plus friends.

Please decide if you will join us in Frankenmuth and let me know so I can keep a record of who is coming. I will be making my reservation tomorrow.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:29 am

Judy, could you please edit the first post with the dates and cg's you chose for any others who come to this late? Thanks.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Awesome, sounds like a good plan.
MelissaD

Postby MelissaD » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Ok, we are booked, site #159 starting Wed June 17th for 5 nights. Buy 4, get one free deal. One night is the deposit required.

Site map http://www.frankenmuthjellystone.com/ca ... info.shtml
Phone reservation: (989) 652-6668
MelissaD

Postby gingerK » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Sounds good Judy. I shall try to be there but as always I have to watch my work schedule so not making my res. just yet.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby dayspring39 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:56 pm

I will not be able to come to this GTG my granddaughter Joy is getting married on June 20... and my MH has not been scheduled for repair...

Judy you sure put a lot of energy and thought into this GTG and I thank you...

It would be great if another time a GTG could be up state and Sue would be an excellent resource and organizer for that one...

Mi in the summer is like Fl in the winter so many many places to visit and so many great places to stay i.e. Sue's pictures... One never sees all of Fl in one season nor can you see all of Mi in one season...

Hope everyone has a super good time...
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers