Michigan GTG - June 19-22, 2015 - Frankenmuth

Let's get together!

Michigan GTG - June 19-22, 2015 - Frankenmuth

Postby JudyJB » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:10 pm

Please join several of us at Jellystone Park in Frankenmuth, MI, on June 19-22. http://www.frankenmuthjellystone.com/index.shtml

While this campground is a bit expensive, we will save money by reducing the drive to places farther north. Frankenmuth is north of Flint, MI, not too far off I-75, and easily reachable. Here are a couple of sites that describe this small town:

- http://www.michigan.org/hot-spots/frankenmuth/
- http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g42216-Activities-Frankenmuth_Michigan.html

Frankenmuth is a great small town for walking around and shopping. The huge Christmas store is just across the street from the campground. (You cannot miss the billboards for Bronner's as you enter Michigan.) We will have a pot luck on Friday, but Saturday MUST be a chicken dinner in town!! Menu is here: http://www.zehnders.com/dining/zehnders ... ant.htm#03. Dinner is served family-style and comes with homemade soup, relishes, fantastic bread, cheese spread, mashed potatoes, dressing, egg noodles, vegetables, and ice cream and is all-you-can-eat! The Frankenmuth Inn (chicken place) also has a doll and toy store, candy shop, incredibly good German bakery, and much more for about $21 per person. There is a pleasant town park, German mechanical clock tower, and covered bridge. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this location.

Please post whether you will be attending and what days.
Last edited by JudyJB on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Michigan GTG - June or July, 2015??

Postby gingerK » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:25 am

I don't care where it is, I'd like to get together with you all. Michigan is quite doable for me from Chicago's sw burbs.

p.s. I'll drag Cheryl along with me, too! LOL ;)
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby MelissaD » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Michigan is very doable for us. Traditionally GM's Fort Wayne Assembly shuts down for a week or 2 around the 4th of July but I have plenty of vacation. Any idea what part of MI? I would not mind someplace near the water with a nice view and FH's (50amp). Have not explored MI yet. In Indiana they don't always trim the trees well (some rule about natural tree growth) and we don't fit in some of the state parks. Probably need to set a date soon to ensure reservations.
MelissaD

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:03 am

gingerK wrote:I don't care where it is, I'd like to get together with you all. Michigan is quite doable for me from Chicago's sw burbs.

p.s. I'll drag Cheryl along with me, too! LOL ;)

Would love to gtg also, but end of June is our fiscal year end and not vaycays are allowed for the first few weeks in July, so all would depend on when and where.
(I really need to retire :(
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby gingerK » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:10 am

It's all good Cheryl, Judy said she'll be there early June.
gingerK

Postby Colliemom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Well, I made a post regarding this earlier this afternoon, but sure don't know where it landed. Probably out wherever things go in cyberspace.

Anyway, wanted to add my two cents worth to this idea. If you desire to be by the water and want to come north, then I would suggest either Aloha State Park, near Cheboygan, 25 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge. Or Mill Creek Campground in Mackinaw Cilty. Either is good although I don't have any experience with Mill Creek. Maybe Louise (HavingFunNow) can chime in on that one. I know they do have lake sites along the straits as well as off water sites. I have camped at Aloha many times and love that park. The sites, although not wooded except for a few spots are HUGE. They are both on and of the water. You can look up the park details by just putting Aloha State Park, Cheboygan, MI in your subject box and go from there. Same with Mill Creek. Also, on the Michigan DNR Reservation site, MDNRReservations.com, you can go into the reservation system under camping reservations, fill in the dates you are interested in, the size of your rig and number of people and then just click on the park you want, it will bring up the available date and if you click on the site numbers, pictures of the sites too. You won't be committed to reserve till you are ready, so you can bounce around all over the place on the site. I do it all the time when I make reservations. The reason I suggested these two places is that if you are interested in seeing a bit of MI, we can go to Mackinac Island, the Soo Locks, Taquahmenon Falls and PIctured Rocks from there easily. Pictures Rocks would be about a two hour drive though. Or is anybody wants to tour the U.P. after visiting a day or tow, we can do that too. Just hit the road and go.

Now, the Michigan State Parks do have a Recreation Passport that needs to be purchased for entering the parks. The outstate one was $30 last year, however you can also access on a daily for about $8 I think it it. Also the camping fees will vary from park to park. However, if you want to travel around the state, it's a good deal cause one you have that Passport, you can go to any park from then on and your only cost is the camping fee. It also is good for any boat launching sites and state forest campgrounds as well. There's also Otsego Lake County Park where some of the gals stayed two summers ago, but they have also raised their daily and camping rates, so are now same as most state parks. Otsego Lake State Park where I used to work is also near here.

Aloha has some of the most beautiful sunsets up there. Judy has camped there before too. But there are also other areas in the central to southern part of the state as well. Anybody want any info, just ask. Be glad to provide it. In meantime will do some checking on these two places, both of which are closed for winter though. So like you, can only use the websites.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby MelissaD » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:16 am

Aloha State Park, Cheboygan, MI looks pretty nice. Looking at Google Maps it looks like I can get in there. At 36-37' (have not measured and it's different in the various paperwork) and 13' tall I tend to scope things out 1st.

Once you buy the out of state pass, is the nightly rental rate the same at MI residents? There did not seem to much info about the actual sites on their website. Is there a weekly rate? I did not see one listed. I normally stay in private CG's as they seem to handle anything up to 40' and have all my hook ups, but I'm game.
MelissaD

Postby Colliemom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:35 am

Melissa,

The sites at Aloha are as big as 50 feet or more and there are some along the boat basin that are way deep. The MI DNR reservation site has the dimensions, site pictures etc. on it. And yes the overnight rates are same for every body. No weekly rates for state parks. I'm waiting for Louise to chime in as she has stayed at MIll Creek as have Liz, Sarah, Carol, Tina etc. Is your 40 feet including your truck or just your trailer length? The sites at Aloha are very easy to get into. I will do some more posting on this. Seems like some where on the Forum, I have pics of that park posted. Will look for them or transfer some I have on Photobucket.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby JudyJB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:44 am

I like the idea of being in Mackinaw right on Lake Huron, although the sites are a bit cramped. There is also a lot to do there.

However, Aloha is only 25 miles from Mackinaw, and I agree sites are bigger. I am a bit worried about the mud, however. I was lucky to be on one of the very few gravel/asphalt sites when I stayed here before as the rest of the sites were really muddy and some were unusable. Probably won't be as rainy then, however.

How about early June before the crowds arrive but after Memorial Day? Thursday, June 4, through Sunday, June 7, would achieve this. Either location would be nice and quiet then.

Sue, do you remember if Aloha has good Verizon cell service? I can't remember that.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby gingerK » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:35 am

Mapping it, says it's little over 6 hrs. from me, but I remember going to Mackinac and it took us more than 6 hrs. Still interested, just have to see how my schedule plays out. Early June looks good for me right now.
gingerK

Postby MelissaD » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Morning Sue, I normally look for site that are 60'+. When hooked up I'm about 60' long. Trailer is 36-37' and my truck is about 23'since the trailer overhangs the truck, I'm about 56' foot. I also prefer to be on gravel or asphalt since my trailer is 12,000#+.

People talk about size limiting some locations you can go to and it does. Since we don't often stay in state parks or boondock, it's not been a real issue for us. I just need to be careful when I make reservations.

As for a location I just want a view. If others wish to be closer to the bridge that's fine with us. I went on Good Sam website and there appears to be many fairly nice CG's in the area.

Thank you for the input from those that have been there before.
MelissaD

Postby MelissaD » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:38 pm

http://www.goodsamclub.com/search-by-ma ... &list=true shows many CG's in the area. What do people know about others CG's in the area?
MelissaD

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:53 pm

I stayed in Mill Creek with just the van two years ago. There are a few sites that overlook the water, but they are narrow; the rest of the campground looked like slightly larger sites. It's changed ownership since I used to tent camp there in the late '80s and early '90s, and I don't like it as well. They've put a lot of money into landscaping but are light on serious maintenance. If I have to pay for bathhouses and flush toilets, I darned well expect them to be functioning 24/7. I don't know if they've resolved those problems as I haven't been back there.

That said, I live in the Palm of the Mitten, so I'm pretty much available for a GTG any time!
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Oh, I just noticed Straits State Park in St. Ig. I've never camped there, but the map looks like there are sites on the water. Anybody been there?
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby JudyJB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:48 pm

That looks interesting to me, also. Is anyone afraid to drive over the bridge?

These sites are on gravel or grass, depending on location (lower has grass, upper has gravel). None have asphalt or cement pads. There seem to be a some long pull throughs on the upper sites, but the lower sites next to the lake are shorter. I could only find 5 that would fit a 35' RV. Can you park your truck beside your RV instead of behind it?

According to the reviews on http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/mi ... state-park, the lower sites are smaller with the best view and closest to the lake. The upper sites are larger, on gravel, and more level. Perhaps Melissa could stay in the upper sites and walk down to the lower sites if the rest of us want a view. Personally, I have seen the view many times, although a walk on the beach would be nice, but I do have my bike.

Upper Michigan has a very short tourist season, so I doubt if you will find RV resort-type places with large paved sites and full hookups. Note that there are no water or sewer hookups here so you will have to use water from your fresh water tanks.

I think also we have to decide what we want to do in terms of activities. Do we want to go to Mackinac Island and ride bikes? Or are we more interested in views and walking on beaches and swimming?
JudyJB
JudyJB

Next

Return to Get Togethers