First Day in KS 9/15/14

Let's get together!

First Day in KS 9/15/14

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Our first full day in KS started out with a nice sunrise and gentle breeze. That did not last very long - heavy cloud cover and stronger wind by 10:30 followed by nasty cold wind and rain by noon. Rain stopped around 1:30 but the wind kept howling.
Tina and I decided a brief trip to Council Grove would be a nice diversion as we wanted a closer look at some of the old houses.. Just as we were getting ready to leave, Karen pulled in. We waited for her to hook up and all headed for town (thought Birdie had gone to Manhatton for a prescription so didn't go to the other section before leaving).
We explored several side streets admiring a lot of Craftsman style houses and a few interesting Victorian cottages.
As we entered a main street, there was Grove Gardens with an impressive display of pumpkins so we stopped. They had pumpkins, peaches, and watermelon. After giving us a taste of the peaches, we all purchased some.
We wandered a bit more and came across the Old Bell Monument
Next was the Custer Elm - In 1867, Gen Custer and companies of the 7th Calvery camped beneath this then towering elm while patrolling the Santa Fe Trail. After the death of the tree in from Dutch Elm disease in the mid-1970s, its stomp was preserved on this site.
Headed for downtown from there.
This is one side of the Farmers and Drovers Bank - Built in 1892, this building is an example of eclectic architecture with brick and stone masonry, Romanesque arches, a Byzantine dome and minarets.
A look the other direction down Main Street.
We accidentally found the Chamber of Commerce. After thumbing thru literature, noticed a collection of left over tee shirts from an earlier event which we liked. After trying them on in a conference room we each bought a shirt.
By then we realized no one had had lunch and tummies were growling. Also needed to find a gas station. Since we were close, we walked oner to the Hays House - built in 1857, it lays claim to being the oldest, continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi. The menu looked good but none of us wanted a big meal so decided to save eating here for another trip in town.
The second place that was recommended, Saddlerock Cafe was closed when we arrived. But along the way we spotted the Last Chance Store. This store was built in 1857 and is the oldest remaining commercial building in Council Grove. It was the last place to purchase supplies en route to Santa Fe.
Spotted a liquor store with a bar and grill next door so decided to check it out. Grill not open but got wine and another recommendation for eatery. Crossed the Santa Fe Trail (nice park but didn't stop this time). Found the Station in downtown area. Great home made bread.
So much more to see but decided we needed to get back so Karen could check in and we needed to see to the pups.
Birdie came up as dogs were getting walked. Liz - note that Birdie is keeping her walking up so she can keep up with you on hikes (it is about a mile between my site and Birdie's.
The wind didn't slow much and it got down to 43 last night. Heater and winter PJs for me.
Tuesday weather promises to be much better and we have at least two more arriving at campground.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: First Day in KS 9/15/14

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Great narrative and photos, Sarah....really enjoyed the trip in town....thanks for sharing and I can't wait for the next chapter... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby grammynmaggie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Great post Sarah... love all the pictures... it seems all the faces
thanks for keeping us informed....!!
grammynmaggie

Postby Liz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Great tour, Sarah! Good to see all the smiling faces! Hope your weather gets better so the kayaks can get wet.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks so much for the link here from Facebook so I could see all these great pics and read about what's going on! The whole place, campsite and town, look like a super place for this GTG. I would love to be there-----sometime I will actually make it to a GTG again. Again, thanks, Sarah.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby mtngal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:52 pm

LIKE! Thanks Sarah!
Diana
mtngal

Postby cnq50b » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Wow, Sarah!
I saw more of the town through your photos than I have in person!
Great pics!!!
Looks like a cool place for a GTG! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So close, yet so far away.... :)
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Yakn1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:21 pm

That was fun...what are we doing tomorrow?! :lol:
I'm not lost, I'm on an adventure!
Yakn1

Postby chalet05 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks, Sarah. I love the towns, their buildings and houses back here.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Bethers » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Yakn1 wrote:That was fun...what are we doing tomorrow?! :lol:

Ditto.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Bethers wrote:
Yakn1 wrote:That was fun...what are we doing tomorrow?! :lol:

Ditto.

and again :D
love the pictures
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:22 am

The town is neat but for those that feel the pressure of picking perfect GTG locations you need to know this group can either find for make fun where ever we land. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby snowball » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 pm

looks like the beginning of lots of fun
sheila
snowball

Postby cnq50b » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for mentioning that, Tina.
I had no idea Council Grove would be this interesting. I just knew that I liked the campground.
The town is quaint, but this group really does look for & finds the most interesting things to see & do.
See ya' all tomorrow!
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Return to Get Togethers