Update on GTG in Texas

Let's get together!

Re: Update on GTG in Texas

Postby Carolinagal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:19 am

Karen, I have no idea of the miles between river walk and the Alamo, but could it be added to the agenda? I'm for anything planned but these two places have been on my list, for ages. Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 am

I'll be calling in a reservation today, thanks Karen. We will most likely tack on a weekend either before or after, we need to talk about which woould be best.

I think you're doing a great job organizing this...you might be a "natural". All your plans sound like so much fun. The Alamo would be great too!

Were there ladies on the last forum that were interested, that perhaps haven't made it over here yet. I think Martha might have wanted to come but don't know how to reach her.

Anyone know Martha's personal email, or of someone else that might need to be updated of these plans?
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:15 am

Woo-hoo...I'm in the books, Nov. 3-8. Reggie was nice to deal with and we talked at length about her rescue, Jake, who sounds adorable. I hope they are still there on the gtg dates. She mentioned looking for a workkamp job in AZ for the winter months.

Thanks again for organizing this Karen. BTW, therre is a $5 reservation fee up front, but the nightly rate is $21 for a pull-thru with full h/u.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks didn't know about the $5.00 reservation fee. As for adding the Alamo its within easy walking distance of the riverwalk.

I checked on hiring a small bus to take us all together into San Antonio. They have a van for 15 people plus the driver. To take us in, wait and drive us home (about 4 hours) its $210 for 10 people - so $21 ea. Its approx 65 miles one way to San Antonio so I think the bus would be a good idea rather than trying to keep 3 or four cars together and find parking which is often really difficult.

We have two small local theaters and I'm checking to see what they have going on during that time period.

STAY TUNED - MORE TO COME!
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't want to be a thorn in anyone's side, but do they have wifi? I really, really need it. I'll figure something out if they don't - but let me know, please.

Jill, let me know which weekend you pick, cuz if I ask for time off, would love to do it for when you'll be there also :)

Also, if I can figure out how, I'm going to merge the 2 threads - as I went to that thread looking for new info LOL -
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Sorry Beth, no wi fi. I have an aircard with unlimited minutes and you're welcome to borrow my laptop to check in on your business and such if necessary. We can certainly share. I am also spending Saturday night, the 8th, maybe Sunday too, but leaving Sunday for now.

Bus in to S.A. would sure be a bargain at that price. Great that it's walking distance to the Alamo.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 pm

I'll have my computer - just was discontinuing the "extra" data I pay for on my phone to tether - as I don't need it here - and now that I'm here a year, it seems like a silly extra expense. Will work it out - maybe by using one of your aircards, if necessary. As long as I can connect and do business part of every day, I'll be okay.

Thanks for the offer :) And I would not stop that from my coming :) Will try to get my reservations in soon - just would like to hear more about the days others are taking - and will have to talk to the bosses here to make sure it's good.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I'll be happy to help in any way I can. Liz and Carol just signed up too!!
Last edited by Sunseeker on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:51 pm

I'll double check on dates tomorrow and make a reservation.

When we go to the Riverwalk I'd like to take the boat tour of it if anyone else is interested in doing that. It's not a must, but I think would be fun.

I'll post to the other thread as soon as my reservations are made.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:56 pm

I was only in SA once before. We did the alamo and the riverwalk, but didn't do the boat. I sure would like to do it this time. I went in Sis and Bil's RV and we had lots to see and do. S.A. is a very cool city!

I had a great time and both sis and BIL entertained me and Molly to the max. I loved S.A.! We had so much fun there!
Last edited by Sunseeker on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Liz » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Carol and I would like to do the boat ride and the Alamo, if there's time. I've never been to San Antonio, and never know if I'll get back there again. Carol and I can always go back to SA on our own if there's not time to do everything the day we go together, though.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Okay for those of you not familiar with San Antonio. We go to the Alamo. A short walk to the Riverwalk. Take the boat tour which takes you the entire length of the Riverwalk and back. Lunch - Mexican? Beth is also checking on an old German church if we have time.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:18 pm

About 2 blocks from the Alamo is a church called St. Joseph's. I'm thinking it's the one I went to several years ago. I looked it up online and it has a very interesting history. When there several years ago, I was told they still have masses done in German, which I understand is very unusual.

That said - it also is unique in that years ago a dept store bought all the land around them for their store and wanted their property, too. They refused to sell and they are still there today LOL. And among some of it's features are a couple of windows that are supposed to really light it up during the afternoon. I'd love to go back there and take a look at it again.

If others aren't interested, I'd be willing to do this while some of you explore the Alamo, as I've been there before, also.

We'll have to play it by ear. I'm sooooooooo looking forward to getting together with you - and doing this together :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Karen (and all!),

Thanks for making these fun plans! No chance of "cabin fever" on this trip. FYI, a group is forming to rent a cabin, we will post on "head count" as soon as it is firmed up.

IF anyone is interested AFTER the planned activities, I would LOVE to do a hike at Enchanted Rock.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... nted_rock/

Looking forward, Diana
Diana
mtngal

Postby Sunseeker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:27 am

Great idea, Diana, a pajama party AND a gtg. How fun! If I wasn't driving my bed I'd certainly consider this option too.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers