Huntsville State Park in the Piney Woods of Texas

Let's get together!

Huntsville State Park in the Piney Woods of Texas

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm planning on a week at Huntsville State Park (May 18th thru May 24th) for my spring get away. Anyone interested in joining me, please feel welcome. No planned activities except maybe a potluck if enough people show up. I plan on walking, reading, napping and repeating. They do have guided horseback rides in the park ($30 for an hour) and I just may get back on a horse after 30 years.

Hope to see some of you there. I will post my site when I make my reservation.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Huntsville State Park in the Piney Woods of Texas

Postby Wings » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm going to try to make it. I am just 2 hrs from there.
I'm in the process of looking for a different Motorhome to trade my currant one for. I may settle on a thor axis or vegas . If all is done by then, which I think it will be, I can come up there foe a few days. I like that park. Oh, by the way, this is Claudia with Motorhome named wings. No one hears from me much. I travel with a papillon named howdy doody. I will be looking forward to meeting you.
Wings

Postby sharon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

Wish I could join you!! Have a great time and post pictures of the park!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:14 am

Made my reservations but could only get six days. Have never been to the Piney woods before so am looking forward to it. Look forward to meeting you, Wings. Sophie and Baxter look forward to meeting Howdy Doody.

Am I the only one who hates dealing with the Texas reservation system. When you try to sign up you FIRST have to wait for an email giving you an ID then you have to wait for another email giving you a temp password. I also hate that you can't reserve a particular site.

I'm actually thinking about going on a guided horseback ride. I haven't been on a horse for, let me see, about thirty years. The big question is will my hips survive an hour on horseback. I used to absolutely love a slow, peaceful ride in the woods.

Come on ladies, surely more of you can come for a couple of days. They say this is a beautiful park and hopefully we'll be there BEFORE it gets too hot and humid.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mtngal » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am

Oh shoot! I will be in Cali for May. If not I would be there, love the Piney Woods!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:35 am

I have an RVW rally in Louisiana from May 15 to 18. Leaving there and going to Texas would be pushing my luck.

I think I stayed in this park once. I don't remember where I was going. Where I was there were tall pine trees and a lot of them. I think there were sites on the lake. I haven't used the Texas Park reservation system in a couple of years. I don't remember having a password. Is that something new?

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Wings » Wed May 07, 2014 10:58 am

If all goes well I will be there on Tuesday May 20. I have reservations in the raven campground section. I take delivery of the new Motorhome on the 14th of May so this will be the first camp for the new wings 2. Horseback riding sounds fun to me if you decide to go.
Claudia
Wings

Postby sharon » Wed May 07, 2014 11:08 am

Wings wrote:If all goes well I will be there on Tuesday May 20. I have reservations in the raven campground section. I take delivery of the new Motorhome on the 14th of May so this will be the first camp for the new wings 2. Horseback riding sounds fun to me if you decide to go.
Claudia

Pictures, pictures and more pictures!! :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Yakn1 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 pm

No rig, or I would be there with you...love that park and area!
Be very careful at the waterfront, there are good sized gators just waiting for a cute puppy to come along!
Have fun tho!
I'm not lost, I'm on an adventure!
Yakn1

Postby sharon » Wed May 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Yakn1 wrote:No rig, or I would be there with you...love that park and area!
Be very careful at the waterfront, there are good sized gators just waiting for a cute puppy to come along!
Have fun tho!

Texas has GATORS???? Did not know that...oh my, I would have been happily wading along watching for water mocasins and completely miss a big bull gator! That's about how dumb I can be! :lol:

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Yakn1 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:44 pm

I was there years ago with a friend, parked fairly close to the water.
That evening while cooking outside I could hear ducks playing near the shoreline. Just before dark my friend came outside to the grill, and we heard this ruckus (obviously the duck in distress), she asked what I thought the noise was! She was not an outdoor person, so I just told her it was the ducks settling in for the night! The next morning I went down to the spot...duck feathers and gator tracks - uh oh!

Yes, we have a lot of gators here,lots at Choke Canyon SP and go to Brazos Bend SP!
I'm not lost, I'm on an adventure!
Yakn1

Postby avalen » Wed May 07, 2014 7:02 pm

well I would certainly be there if I could, but we know that ain't happin'in yet :lol: and...besides, its the last week of school :D
But I'm sure looking forward to the pictures :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:18 am

Am a total coward when it comes to gators so prefer to keep my puppies near the rig and away from any water. My other icky thing is ticks. Besides repellant with Deet have heard that dryer sheets seem to repel ticks. I'll be the woman coming down the trail covered in dryer sheets and smelling of bug spray.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby sharon » Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 am

retiredhappy wrote:Am a total coward when it comes to gators so prefer to keep my puppies near the rig and away from any water. My other icky thing is ticks. Besides repellant with Deet have heard that dryer sheets seem to repel ticks. I'll be the woman coming down the trail covered in dryer sheets and smelling of bug spray.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Return to Get Togethers