Hunting Island (SC) Beach Get Together Oct 20-Nov 3, 2014

Let's get together!

Re: Hunting Island (SC) Beach Get Together Oct 20-Nov 3, 201

Postby linann » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 pm

Another interesting day. All the sites where Pat and I have parked our rigs left today and more big ones arrived. Of course, Pat and I had to supervise. I took my laptop to the visitor center this afternoon where I could access the internet from inside and plug in since my battery needed to be charged. Then, I drove past the lighthouse and over to the Nature Center to see the children's Trunk or Treat event in the parking lot. Very cute.

Back to the campground for another outstanding potluck, including home made vanilla pudding. We have certainly enjoyed some great dinners.

Pat is leaving tomorrow and Dell and the rest of us are are heading off to other locations on Sunday or Monday. The ladies are already planning another GTG at Hunting Island. This one has certainly been fun.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks for the update, Linda. Hate I missed this one - hope to make the next one.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Liz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:03 am

Sounds like a great place to gtg. Glad you had a good time.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby grammynmaggie » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:47 pm

I was sorry to miss this one also... hopefully the next one I can make
thanks for the update
grammynmaggie

Postby linann » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:22 pm

We skipped the potluck Sat night because it was too cold, rainy and windy from the snowstorms in the SE. Headed out Sun and got home this evening. It was lots of fun and I look forward to returning to Hunting Island.
Linann
linann

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:33 pm

linann wrote:We skipped the potluck Sat night because it was too cold, rainy and windy from the snowstorms in the SE.

Snowstorms in the SE??? :shock: I must have missed that in the news somehow :?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby linann » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:39 am

My sister drove through three inches of snow Saturday morning on interstate through western Virginia mountains. Friends at a Samboree in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, emailed that outdoor activities were cancelled due to falling snow. Some may not consider those areas to be in the South, but I do. Glad I did not wake up in Campbell, my traveling soup can, to falling snow. Very, very thankful I did not have to drag Campell in snow. As it was, I had to delay leaving one day because of the high winds. Had to drive over and pick up my sister at hotel on I-95 and it was truly scary driving a high top over the bridges. Of course, those of you who live in the northern states have my admirations. After living up north for a while and traveling all over in the winter, I know how much endurance it takes to live in harsh weather.
Linann
linann

Postby DearMissMermaid » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:37 am

THe get together and awesome potlucks each evening with delightful company was heaven on earth. By day we kind of did our own thing in several different directions, together and apart, but getting together each evening for fabulous food and company was a mega treat for me. I was on the island for 4 weeks and never once left! I am so in love with being able to traverse the beach with my doggy every day that I just never wanted to leave the island at all for anything.

I love nature and the beach! I can go see highway anytime, I wanted to see beach and ocean all I could while I could.

I already made 2015 reservations for spring and fall. It gives me hope that if I keep waking up alive, one day soon I will be waking up at the beach again.

The beach is unspoiled, no commercial establishments to mar up the beauty of Eden. While I never once in 4 weeks sat on the beach, I walked and biked on the beach every single day, always with my crazy doggy who was thrilled to play Frisbee and fetch at the far ends of the beach. I was able to wade the surf every warm day while my 6 pound doggy danced at the end of his long flexileash with a goofy grin on his face.

He ran circles around me tearing up the sand, he dugs holes to china, he danced and greeted as many people and doggies as he could. Many folks came up and said "Oh I remember your doggy from last spring or last fall (nobody remembers me!) Some folks came to the end of the beach just to watch the tiny dog with the big Frisbee fly through the air.

We saw dolphins, stingrays, pink sea pork, horsehoe crabs, live sand dollars, deer, raccoons, and license plates from 49 states. People camped in tents, cars, pop ups, trailers, motorhomes. I even went to the chaplain's outdoor Sunday services in the campground. They have rotating chaplain workampers.

I've posted lots of images in my November and October blog posts at
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

My doggy gets cold super easy, so on some windy days, he wore a sweater on the beach, looks goofy, but keeps the little pooch happy and cozy.

Every few days I swept out 10 pounds of sand from my rig and wondered why there wasn't even more, I just wanted to have fun and let the housework slide.

Rambling and roaming in my little old wheel estate

http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/
DearMissMermaid

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:56 am

Why, you certainly convey your love of the place in this post! That is one happy pooch!!!
How wonderful for you guys!
Glad you had a blast, doing exactly what you wanted (perhaps needed) to do.

mitch5252

Postby Redetotry » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:38 pm

So glad you had such a good time! It made me wish I had been there too, the food sounded incredible. Love the picture of your dog, he looks like a happy little guy, no wonder people remember him.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby snowball » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 pm

sounds like you had a great time!!
sheila
snowball

Previous

Return to Get Togethers