Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Let's get together!

Re: Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Postby cnq50b » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:28 pm

All the sites have fire rings. I've never heard of a Swedish Fire torch... will have to google that. :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby snowball » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 pm

was wondering what it was as well
I'm lazy let us know ok?
sheila
snowball

Postby BurninDaylight » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:18 pm

This log is 6" in diameter. The one we made is about 14" or better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qfEcAgGB26A
The meatball and the sauce

BurninDaylight

Postby gingerK » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am

I've seen pics of those and was considering trying one. We had several trees go down in a windstorm and cut it into larger pieces.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby cnq50b » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:18 pm

That was very cool. If I had known about them, I could have salvaged some of the big tree I just had taken down a couple of weeks ago
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Colliemom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Very interesting. I have some logs here in my yard that would make good ones, but they are pine.

Kathy, as to your coming to the GTG a day later than I am, that's okay. I haven't heard from Claudia as yet. She had mentioned something about heading through the Great Lakes on her way to KS, but don't know if she meant coming to MI or not.

I have been toying around with an idea to head through the U.P. and come down via the Great River Road along the west side of WI and then down through IA and into KS. Not sure on that though. But I would like to know from you gals in IL, what's the best way to go through IL to get to KS. I hear that I-70 is kind of boring. Which way are you going? Also, Catherine, I see that I-70 from KS City to Topeka is a toll road. Is there another way to go beside that route?

Just got back from a two day camping trip to Aloha State Park. Was great being by the lake there. Sassy did okay, but I've noticed she's starting to slow down more as time goes on. Some of it due to warmer weather. She's slowly heading to that 13 year mark (January) and I'm not sure that her cataracts are getting a little worse as she's bonking into things on one side frequently. She also has doggie dementia (yes dogs can get dementia). It's not bad, but she does get confused and many times will get into a corner or someplace and just stand there cause she can't figure out how to get out. I"ve had to pull her out of the areas like next out my bed and bathroom in my TT quite frequently anymore .It's like an older person who goes someplace and doesn't remember what they are doing there. I'm going to make an appt. with my vet to have a checkup as it's been a couple of months since last eye check. Those kind of things make me think that maybe long trips are not up her alley anymore. We shall see after a talk with vet. Could be I might cancel KS GTG if I feel she's not up to the trip. I also have an invitation to 50th wedding anniversary for my best friends that same weekend and I stood up for the wedding. But am continuing to look at maps and plan routes. who's leaving when for KS?
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby cnq50b » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Sue,
I never take I-70 from Kansas City.
I take I-35 South
You have 3 choices with I-35
- Go west on US56 at Gardner - this takes you thru some small towns, a little more traffic, etc.
- Go west on KS68 at Ottawa >> KS268 >> KS31 >> US56 - basically just continuing west - I came back this way last time & really liked it. Just a nice country drive. A lady I met down there told me this is what they take.
- Go north on KS99 to west US56 - this adds about 20 miles & keeps you on the Interstate longer if you prefer that. This is actually the way I had been going, but I'm going to do KS-68 next time.

Hope this helps...
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby chalet05 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Should anyone decide they need to take I70, here is the link for the toll charges. These aren't anything like Eastern states!

http://www.ksturnpike.com/travel_information/tolls
Anita
chalet05

Postby Liz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:39 am

Colliemom wrote:It's like an older person who goes someplace and doesn't remember what they are doing there.

I resemble that remark! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby MelissaD » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:56 am

Due to some ongoing medical issues we are going to miss the get together. It is our goal to meet up with you all at a later time (get together), we just won't be able to make KS. :cry:

If someone wants site #39 I canceled the reservation.
MelissaD

Postby gingerK » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Oh Melissa that's too bad. Perhaps you and Phoenix could make out IL gtg in October?
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Colliemom » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks Catherine. Will get out my maps and do some looking.

Melissa, sorry you and Phoenix can't make it. But hopefully will meet up with you some other time.

I changed my dates a bit too, now arriving on 18th instead of 16th. Am looking at a trip across WI and down the Great River Road to IA and then down to KS from there. Friend Brenda has now decided she might head to SD with her son, so not sure if I will joining them or not. With my TT in for awning arm repairs, don't know when I will get it back. Will just play the whole thing by ear.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby snowball » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:41 pm

wow I should not have looked on map quest!!! if and the world is full of if's IF I took my dd's car I could do the trip on about 300 dollars that is IF we guesstimated he gas miles correctly. But I have to remember that I still need stuff for the 5th wheel oh but it's tempting!!!
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:36 pm

What about coming down I-35 from the north. Is there a way around Kansas City without getting all tangled up in town? I'm looking at maybe coming down from the Great River Road to Prairie Du Chen and then south, but haven't worked a definite route out yet. Would be a trip across IA to KS doing it that way. May not be that many campgrounds in those wide open spaces. In a way, the Great River Trip almost begs of a trip by itself, from MI down to southern WI and back up the river road to northern WI or vice versa. We shall see, we shall see. Also have to work a route from southern MI to Council Grove through IL, IN and MO. Have to see which way those who live there are coming and also Peggy, Tina and whom ever else is coming from the eastern way.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Birdie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:35 pm

@ Sheila...I promise to make it to the laundry by the time you get there, so clean sheets and towels for you, my friend. I will be arriving on Sunday Sept 14. I knew that I should have gotten a pound of Huckleberries! Sure hope you are able to make it over.

Anyone coming from NW of the GTG location? I will be slowly driving from near Mt. Rushmore. Plan on staying in small city/county parks...some free, some low dollars. Would love to have company. It is a nice farm landscape driving across the northern sector of the bread basket state. Right now my plans are to drive east on US36, with the south roads being in jello. Sometimes planning the trip is as much fun as driving it!

Sue, I will be warming your camping spot for you and Sassy!
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers