Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Let's get together!

Re: Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:09 am

dpf wrote:How about some of Ron's Market's famous homemade hotdogs?

That means you'd deliver them in person, right?
mitch5252

Postby dpf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 am

A very strong possibility. ;)
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Aggiemom » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 am

In Texas, the say "People who put beans in chili don't know beans about chili". But I still put beans in my chili!
Vonda
2010 Jayco Greyhawk 31fk
Aggiemom

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 am

From the International Chili Society.

The Rules and Regulations for cooks at the World’s Championship, State, Regional and District Cookoffs are as follows:

1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,
cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA
which are strictly forbidden
. No garnish is allowed.

2. Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked
with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which
are strictly forbidden
. No garnish is allowed.

3. Salsa must be homemade by the contestant whose name and ICS # appear on the Contestant Application. It may be brought to the site that day or it may be prepared at the Cookoff.

Here's the link: http://www.chilicookoff.com/event/event_Rules.asp

I like beans in chili. George hated beans in chili. We compromised with a small amount of beans.

mitch5252

Postby dpf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 am

One of the my former students said that she and all her siblings hated kidney beans...so their mom always made beanless chili. The mother later told me that she always put beans in the chili because with 6 kids to feed she needed the "filler"...however she put them through the food processor so they didn't know they were there! Mothers can be such sneaky critters. :lol:
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 am

I use to put onions through the blender because my DH wouldn't eat something if he could see onions. lol He has either gotten over that or his eye sight is so bad he doesn't notice them anymore. I buy a broccoli salad that has purple onions in it. He wanted to know what that was and I told him it was cabbage. ;)

My mother would make dish's with and without onions because my brothers and I wouldn't eat onions. My mother wasn't as sneaky as I am.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:49 am

Acadianmom wrote:I use to put onions through the blender because my DH wouldn't eat something if he could see onions. lol He has either gotten over that or his eye sight is so bad he doesn't notice them anymore. I buy a broccoli salad that has purple onions in it. He wanted to know what that was and I told him it was cabbage. ;)

My mother would make dish's with and without onions because my brothers and I wouldn't eat onions. My mother wasn't as sneaky as I am.

........................................................................................Image
mitch5252

Postby sharon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Yeah, I hear ya Martha! I used to have to grate the onions into the meatloaf cause Jack liked the flavor he just didn't want them in it. He never said anything about the onions in the beans, tho.. He did like raw onion, just not cooked. But he liked onion rings..go figure! LOL! Bless his heart, he'd pretty much eat anything I put in front of him. If he didn't like it, he'd say it would be ok if I didn't make that again. :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby snowball » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 pm

my husband preferred chili without beans I grew up in a large family and we had beans in ours I still do but with Larry it depended sometimes
it was both could open up a can of beanless chili and make the rest of us the other then we went to special mixes like can't think of them now can find them on the shelf :oops: bear in mind I was born in the NORTH ...you guys are so going to have a lot of fun sure wish I was going to be with you all
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:14 am

Maybe it's a MI Things, but we always put beans in our chili. I like mine with tomato juice, ground beef, canned stewed tomatoes, red kidney beans (they are good for you, you know) and some chili powder. I'm not one for really spicy stuff though. Doen't mean I don't sample.

Yep, hotdogs sound good. I might be able to get some cheddar potato sausage to bring along. Great when grilled.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby VickieP » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Moving on to another food item. Mitch saw on FB that I had made a chicken & andouille (sausage) gumbo today & asked if I would make one for the gtg. So the poll is open, preferences for shrimp & crab meat or chicken & sausage? Doesn't matter either way for me.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby MandysMom » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:04 pm

You are really motivating me to get our bus sold so I can get a smaller easier to drive rig so we can travel again. I would eat either.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby VickieP » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:08 pm

MandysMom wrote:You are really motivating me to get our bus sold so I can get a smaller easier to drive rig so we can travel again. I would eat either.
Velda

Well hurry up! :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:44 pm

I vote for chicken and sausage.
mitch5252

Postby gingerK » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

I'm not really a fussy eater so whatever gets the most votes is ok with me. I like to sample what everyone else brings. I have a recipe for vodka slushies I will be trying here at home, if they turn out good will bring some with me.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers