Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Let's get together!

Re: Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG in 2014

Postby VickieP » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 pm

I just looked at the campground on Google Maps, looks like most all of the sites are wide and paved. There are even some group sites, but not sure how that would work with people coming and going on different dates.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:03 pm

I may or may not be able to make it but.....even in for September 2014, the farther out that you set a date and decide which campground the easier it is for folks to commit. I was just thinking instead of waiting until next April or May, maybe use Google (and campground reviews) and if they all look about right go for one...... If you mess up, you get a "get out of planning the next gtg" free card! That could be a relief. :)

Most of the COE cg, if they have been upgraded in the recent past, have quality going for them. Our tax dollars at work for us!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby sharon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:16 pm

BirdbyBird wrote:...... If you mess up, you get a "get out of planning the next gtg" free card! That could be a relief. :)

Most of the COE cg, if they have been upgraded in the recent past, have quality going for them. Our tax dollars at work for us!

NO....if you mess up you have to do it again and again until you get it right!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:26 pm

With that model.....who of us wants to take the risk? :shock: :lol: :lol: Personally I gave up trying to walk on water soooo long ago. Just saying this isn't brain surgery :) .....plan it, some will come and most all will have a great time.... and if someone likes a different cg, they can plan the next year's there! :)

Just put Sharon in charge of the weather. :D We will want something to give her a hard time about, and hopefully she will have given me my car back by then
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Both spring and fall sound good. I will try to make both but surely could get to at least one.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Wow!!! :shock: Didn't know there would be such a response to my innocent comment about having a "middle of the country" GTG....Someday.....Have been talking with Ernie about this....I had promised him that we could do what he had planned for this last summer & fall, next summer & fall, as my medical issues kinda' messed it up... :roll: ...the plan is after doing the Relatives and Grandkid visit in PA (May thru July), attend the Open Range RV Rally in IN the beginning of Aug., then a trip to The Blue Marlin to visit Mitch, then spend a couple of months in LA for the culture and food experience....then about Nov/Dec. head along the Gulf ....ending up in GA until the following May....So at this time, until there is a specific date in Sept. for it, I can't say if we'll be there or not....and it would be "back tracking" for us...so we'll wait and see....Looks like a great place..... :)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby cnq50b » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:31 pm

I am surprised as anyone else about the response to this. :D I'm also delighted... who would've thunk... :o

I figure if I screw this up - you gals will just teach me the ropes & I can try, try again... :lol: :lol:

The site I posted is a sample of their larger sites. All sites are level & well-maintained. I like this particular area because of the restroom situation. They have combined toilet/shower facitilies within 1 very large room - fully handicap equipped. You just lock the door & have full use of the entire setup. They even had heat lamps. While the restrooms are nice in the other area of the cg, they aren't as nice as this loop.

They do have group sites, but they are out in the open (translate - hot sun) & I think they might cost more since they probably don't apply our 'senior pass' rates to them. I prefer the individual sites which are nearly all on the water & provide shade & in KS, we appreciate shade in the summer. If have a HUGE turnout, we can always try to get individuals sites down by the shelter & reserve it. Some folks were doing that last time I was there.

I went here a few times last year & would gladly meet anyone who wants to have a mini-gtg no matter when you are passing thru. Peggy & I would have gone there if 1) I didn't have to rush off to Guate & 2) the government hadn't closed. :(
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm

You are learning - if you plan it, they will come. so now, I challenge you to pick the dates and change the first post to reflect all the information - and let the reservations start flowing in!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Sounds like fun for sure!
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Cougarfan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Well, I'm interested but since I still work full-time, I would have to fly, rent a car and probably stay in Topeka. It's over 1800 miles from here, so I would have to take nearly 3 weeks off work to do it with my trailer. It would be the only thing I could do next year for vacation so the whole summer would go by with no camping around here so I could save up the vacation time. Oh, and there are those pesky Rocky Mountains to cross as well which would slow me down considerably towing. I could probably do it faster and cheaper in the car, but couldn't bring the dog if it was going to be hot so there's another added expense for boarding.

So, I'll keep this in mind and if I win the lottery and can quit my job, I'm in!

Laura
Cougarfan

Postby snowball » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Gosh how I would love to do this!!! I've been telling myself that I want to go to IA possibly that fall but it would mean back tracking so would
have to figure out lots of things one being if I can afford to cause in my mind if I'm going to the midwest I can drive down to TX as well and if I'm doing that can go to LA or and or and or well you get the picture an innocent 2400 miles just turned into a lot and lots of planning
yep will keep it in mind and see what the next year brings
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 am

This sounds like a really neat idea and perhaps a chance for those toward the west coast to come east. I don't know if late Sept. would work for me or not as I do want to go to SD and then to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons as well. Sept. can be a bit late to head out that way due to snow in the higher elevations in the mts. Was kind of contemplating August, but as Catherin has mentioned, there is the issue of hot weather that time of year and I know the early spring can bring some nasty weather to the Midwest. So guess I will just sit and wait to see how this all develops and plan accordingly. I would love to head west in June but will see what happens.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Aggiemom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 am

Sue, you are so right about bad weather in the plains in springtime. I drove through western Kansas and Nebraska early last spring and had HIGH winds, dust storms, hail, COlD, and tornado warnings for four days!

That being said, I would be very interested in a Midwest GTG the latter part of September. I should be wending my way back to Texas from Idaho about that time.
Vonda
2010 Jayco Greyhawk 31fk
Aggiemom

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Sue, if you went west in August, you could be heading back east by mid-to-late September. Just sayin'
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby grammynmaggie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:56 pm

I cant get that far away from dad at this time
but would like to come if it is done again sometime
in the future...I will be pushing it going to PA in
the spring....to finish up my house...
have a great day and stay safe...donna ;)
grammynmaggie

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers