Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Let's get together!

Re: Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Postby gingerK » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Since it isn't handy for me to pick up and go anywhere once I'm camped, I kind of doubt I'll be going sightseeing. So those of you with pups, I should be available to puppysit if you need me to and the pups are agreeable!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:45 pm

I may not cook but I know how to shop at Costco and Kroger :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby cnq50b » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Wait a minute - I'm Costco's biggest fan!
If I drive to town, there's room for several riders... no one needs to be left behind. ;)
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Route Question

Postby monik7 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 pm

As I head to the KS GTG, I plan to visit Dinosaur National Monument on the Utah/Colorado border. From there I'm trying to decide what would be the best route to get onto I-70. I don't have my atlas now, but I know there's a route that goes directly south shortly after crossing into Colorado and meets I-70 near Fruita. The other goes farther east toward Steamboat Springs and then heads southeast meeting I-70 near Frisco. Does anyone have any info on these two routes and have suggestions on which might be better for driving my rig, scenery, CGs and points of interest?

I'd love a Costco run if anyone is going as I have no idea of food for myself and need to come up with contributions for the pot lucks. Since I'm leaving home 2 weeks before the GTG, I'll have to get some things there. I'm so excited about the GTG and meeting all the wonderful ladies I haven't yet met and those known from previous GTGs.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby cnq50b » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Just a clarification... there isn't a Costco near Council Grove... closest one is here in Lenexa or Overland Park, KS (about 90+ miles away). The local Apple grocery store with the Tin Man (yes, from the Wizard of Oz) will be our 'go to' spot in Council grove. There's a Sam's club in Wichita if you really want a big box store coming from the west.

And Sandi, other than the ribs, I don't have any ideas either other than my standard PB&J fixings... but I'm sure the creative juices will start flowing as the time gets closer. I actually enjoyed shopping at the Apple market in town - it was friendly, low-key & had decent prices. :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby chalet05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 pm

BirdbyBird wrote:I may not cook but I know how to shop at Costco and Kroger :)

I have similar talents, but I would just as soon tell me what to buy!!!
Anita
chalet05

Postby sharon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm

mitch5252 wrote:
sharon wrote:
BirdbyBird wrote:Those of us that are arriving a little earlier will surely find reasons to pool food resources and share campfire before Friday...don't worry, bring food to share, we will eat! And though the plans sound like "jello" I promise that no one starves no matter how little planning we do ahead of time! :)

Says the woman that doesn't cook!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, man - is she fun to have around as a guinea pig!

She sure is!!! And she brings good stuff, too!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby sharon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:14 pm

And you're sooo good at it! I'm still drooling over those cupcakes that you and Liz found on your expedition to look at rv's!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby gingerK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Well, here's what I will be contributing: Cowboy beans (kinda like a cross between baked beans and chili) and if it's cool, I will make chicken and dumplings in my crockpot. I'm also toying with a new recipe for chocolate chip cookie brownies. Is someone still making chili or was that one of the ladies who had to cancel? Other than that I'll probably bring sandwich and salad fixings. If I have some butternut squash ready, I can make some in the microwave. We'll be bringing enough food with for the weekend and when we head down to Branson, we'll shop there for the rest of our week. Oh and for breakfast I might do strawberry pancakes.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Liz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:22 pm

sharon wrote:

And you're sooo good at it! I'm still drooling over those cupcakes that you and Liz found on your expedition to look at rv's!

I found a recipe for those cupcakes, Sharon. Haven't tried them yet, but you can:
Use the chopped bacon option in the mix.

Pancake Breakfast Cupcakes

Yield: 6, recipe doubles easily

Ingredients

Buttermilk Pancake Cupcakes:

1 cup Original Bisquick® pancake mix*
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature**
1 egg, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mix-in; chocolate chips, blueberries, nuts, chopped bacon, etc. (optional)

*May substitute 1 cup flour, mixed with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt
**May substitute 1/2 cup milk (1%, 2% or whole) mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice, let sit a few minutes until it clumps up and thickens.

Maple Buttercream Frosting
(note: this recipe makes A LOT, may half the frosting recipe if desired):
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoons maple extract (found in the baking aisle of the grocery store) OR about 1-2T pure maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (sub half and half or milk if necessary)
Bacon & maple syrup for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake/muffin pan with 12 baking cups.

Combine pancake mix, sugar and baking powder in a small bowl. Lightly whisk buttermilk, egg, butter and vanilla in measuring cup. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry mix and gently whisk until just incorporated (it's ok if a few lumps remain). If desired, fold your favorite pancake mix-in into the batter. Distribute batter between the 12 baking cups. Bake 13-16 minutes, or until pancake cupcakes are puffy and a toothpick comes out cean.

While the cupcakes bake, prepare the frosting. With an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth on medium speed. Slowly add powdered sugar until fully incorporated and creamy. Add maple, salt and cream. Beat on medium speed about 3 minutes until light and fluffy, adding more powdered sugar or milk until desired consistency is reached.
- See more at: http://blog.dollhousebakeshoppe.com/201 ... L1rVk.dpuf
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:05 am

I noticed in the posted recipe that you need buttermilk or regular milk with vinegar...I have neither!

But when I clicked on the link, the recipe listed there said to use a buttermilk pancake mix - that I have. So, the bacon and butter are thawing on the counter and I'll report back...

I'll bet I'm going to hate to throw these away...

mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:51 pm

I did have to throw them away, but not for the "They're Too Delicious" reason. The frosting was really good (I could have used more bacon in it), but the cupcake - not so much. It didn't taste like a pancake, it didn't taste like a cupcake - it was just weird. I'm going to look for one that uses real cake mix and then add bacon and maple syrup.

mitch5252

Postby sharon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:14 pm

They look kind of heavy...the cupcakes were great but I think it was the frosting that I liked the best on all of them...it wasn't sugar sweet. I usually scrape the frosting off of cake and just eat the cake, but that frosting on those cupcakes was to die for!! I got the name and addy from Laura but just haven't been able to get over there. sigh. Probably a good thing since I'm reallly trying to loose this post smokers weight.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Liz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Must not be the same recipe as the ones we bought, Sharon. They don't look the same anyway. Thanks for trying it out, Mitch. Now I don't have to, lol.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Redetotry » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:57 pm

I just cancelled my reservation which was from 9/14 thru 9/18 in site 45 if anyone wants it. :cry: Would love to see anyone coming near Carbondale. I can meet up before 9/18 or after 9/28 but during that time though it would have to be close by.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers