Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Let's get together!

Re: Midwest - Flint Hills (KS) GTG - September 19-22

Postby gingerK » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 am

MandysMom wrote:You are really motivating me to get our bus sold so I can get a smaller easier to drive rig so we can travel again. I would eat either.
Velda

Come anyway, sold bus or not.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby sharon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:53 am

Chicken and sausage....
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby SoCalGalcas » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Wow! I will vote for shrimp any day of the week! This is going to be a gastronomic delight! I do not like to cook, but will contribute something each night. Something, it will be a surprise each night! Probably be a surprise to me too! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 pm

SoCalGalcas wrote:?..This is going to be a gastronomic delight

You mean a nightmare, if Vickie's cooking...
mitch5252

Postby Colliemom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:06 am

Maybe I should bring along a supply of Pepto Bismal, Alka Seltzer etc, for everyone, since Mitch says we should be concerned about Vickie's cooking...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby gingerK » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:18 am

This is gonna be sooooooooo muuuuuuuuch FUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby MelissaD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:11 pm

gingerK wrote:This is gonna be sooooooooo muuuuuuuuch FUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!

MelissaD

Postby Colliemom » Thu May 01, 2014 8:34 am

Kansas, Named for the Kansa or Kaw, people who once lived in the region. The word Kansas means "people of the south wind".
Farmland covers almost 90 percent of this state, and it's golden prairies are legendary. But contrary to popular belief, Kansas is not entirely flat. The Great Plans cover about 2/3 of western Kansas, gradually rising in elevation to the Colorado border. The Disssected Till Plans of the northeast are characterized by rolling hills with steep slopes and high river bluffs. The Osgfe Cuesta (pronounced KWES-tah) region and the Flint Hills are in the Southwestern Plains. Kansas has about 150 lakes and reservoirs, while many streams and rivers cut through the state.

A few little tidbits I was recently reading in our local paper. The publish a page called "World of Wonder' and feature many different things on technology, history, science and nature.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby IrishIroamed » Wed May 21, 2014 9:27 pm

um Sue - is there going to be a quiz? :lol: :lol:

Really - some interesting information there. My opinion just from driving is that IN and NE are flat and boring (sorry MelissaD ;) ;) )
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Colliemom » Thu May 22, 2014 8:10 am

Maybe I'll make one up, who knows :lol: :roll:

Oh great, now you are giving me something to NOT look forward on the dirve to KS. just kidding. Haven't even planned a route down there yet.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Bethers » Thu May 22, 2014 10:00 am

Cheryl, if you travel the back roads you'll discover lots of interest in Indiana and Nebraska. Another reason to avoid interstates!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu May 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Bethers wrote:Cheryl, if you travel the back roads you'll discover lots of interest in Indiana and Nebraska. Another reason to avoid interstates!

I absolutely agree - I just happen to think the I-80 route is extremely boring (unless you count all the signs for Wild Bill's ranch and the smelly cattle feedlot in Ogallala as interesting :lol: ), but I was on major 1 day drive to get to Colorado Springs - - - did it 6 times too! Always wanted to stop at that bridge over I-80 but never did.

Same for Indiana - just the fast route south is a drag, but lots of interesting places I've been to there also - including the RV & MH Hall of Fame in Elkart (just was there recently for an RV show). If anyone is interested what that's like: http://irishiroamiwrite.blogspot.com/2014/04/rv-motorhome-hall-of-fame.html
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Bethers » Thu May 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Won't talk about how many times I drove 80 west from Chicago to Denver in one day. During all those years I didn't think Nebraska would ever redeem itself. Since being in the rv, though, I've taken the time to learn there is more there. I totally understand those one-day drives.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Thu May 22, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm going to have to try the other roads in Neb. my husband was from south east IA so we would leave SLC on I 80 and book it...sometimes straight through...1200 miles and there is still a waterfall in Neb that I need to see (yes in NB) and a state fair in IA :lol:
Sheila
snowball

Postby MelissaD » Mon May 26, 2014 10:27 am

IrishIroamed wrote: My opinion just from driving is that IN and NE are flat and boring (sorry MelissaD ;) ;) )

Not a problem :lol: Having driven literally almost every mile of "Interstate" in the contiguous united states, I can safely say, some have better scenery than others. Missing part of I-15 from Great Falls MT to border, I-29 Fargo ND to border and I-75 from Mackinaw Bridge to Sault Ste. Marie (border). Might be some other "bit" but it would be like the others.

My favorite interstate drives are probably I-70 from Green River UT and Vail CO. Also like I-15 from Mesquite NV to St George UT. I do enjoy the US routes except for US-6's Loveland Pass. Won't do that one again. I do like driving through some of the little towns and looking at the building and houses on the US routes.

I do find when I'm towing, that sometimes flat and boring is a good thing. :D
MelissaD

PreviousNext

Return to Get Togethers