Recommendations for Amarillo, TX campground

Recommendations for Amarillo, TX campground

Postby oregontocal » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:54 am

I'm heading out this morning from Manzano State Park, near Albuquerque, NM and would like to get as far as the Amarillo, TX area today. The Free Campgrounds site shows Huber City Park in Borger, TX as a possibility. Anyone have other recommendations? I've been trying to go as inexpensive as possible, but perhaps something other than Wal-Mart.
oregontocal

Re: Recommendations for Amarillo, TX campground

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi Chris -
I've not been there - but on my list of places to go/see is Palo Duro Canyon State Park - billed as the Grand Canyon of Texas. They have camping, but it's going to be higher than you might want to pay - here's the website:
http://www.palodurocanyon.com/

Another place on my list - cuz I've not done this area - and right near Borger - is the Lake Meredith Nat'l Rec aread
http://www.nps.gov/lamr/ - and while there are no hook-ups, there is also no camping fee: http://www.nps.gov/lamr/planyourvisit/camping.htm
That sounds like something you might be interested in! I know I would be.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby oregontocal » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Thank you, Beth. I decided to make this a fairly low-mileage day after doing almost 400 miles Friday. So, I'm at Cactus RV Park in Tucumcari, NM (right on Rt. 66 but in the back of the park - very little noise)with full hookups for $19.50/night. That way I'll be able to explore the Lake Meredith area tomorrow without having to try and make it there before dark tonight. They're working on Hwy 40 in NM and have narrowed the highway down to one lane in each direction for miles--very narrow, very windy (as in strong winds), and too easy to drive over the rumble strips on the side of the lane. So, it's nice to be able to hang out here tonight and unclench my fingers from the steering wheel after 175 miles.
oregontocal

Postby Getupngo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Chris, sounds like a really nice trip. I stayed in a pricier place in Amarillo ... so I won't offer an opinion. But I hope you get to see everything you want to see.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations