Waterway Campground New Richmond GA - Don't go there!

Waterway Campground New Richmond GA - Don't go there!

Postby JoanE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 pm

I had intended to stop in a rest area my last night before reaching home in FL but it was late and I had driven 9 hours. I was hungry and didn't have much in the larder so a campground with a store sounded good and a dump station. I called Waterway, about 30 miles further south, and was assured a space was available with a discount to boot! I pulled into the campground rather dismayed to see the derelict looking campers parked among the weeds. I tried the front door of the building but it was locked. I was about ready to pull away when a man approached. He said I could take a space by the river without sewer or one a few sites away with sewer. I opted for sewer.

I pulled into the site and unhooked Maggie from her co-pilot dog seat. She was emitting low growls and I saw the object of her interest. Two young men shirtless, in jeans with beers looking rather unkempt. I put her on the floor but she immediately jumped up in my seat to growl and watch who might approach. I went about hooking up the camper and then offered to take Maggie for a walk. She did not want to leave the camper. I had to pick her up and carry her. I toured the small campground and realized that I was the only transient. All the other campers were long term or permanent lodgers.

The google site that I had found for the campground indicated a store and a pool. Neither were available. I considered unhooking and moving on but I was too tired so I double locked my doors and caught a few hours sleep for my "discounted price" of $30. Seriously, this campground could have been in Deliverence.

Thankfully my other campground experiences were much better than that!
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: Waterway Campground New Richmond GA - Don't go there!

Postby longdog2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Too bad to end your trip with a bad experience. You'll have to erase that memory with a good one as soon as possible. It was nice that you had a "protector" at your side.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 pm

I too have found a couple of those.....some I have stayed because as you decided, it would have been more unsafe for me to continue driving......and one luckily was actually closed. Fortunately I wasn't towing and found a way to turn around past the chained up entrance. Overall it sounds as if you did have fun and that your co-pilot is doing his job well.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:48 pm

That is one of my fears. I am sure I would have not slept all night! :shock:
So happy you are safe and passed the info along to the other sistahs.
AlmostThere

Postby cpatinjones » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Sorry about your last night.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations