What are the Top 5 Things to Look For in a Park/Campground?

Re: What are the Top 5 Things to Look For in a Park/Campgrou

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Full hookups But my MH is self contained and can boondock if necessary.
I usually use my air card even if the campground has WiFi
Like to have cable
As level as possible
Pet friendly - there a few places in CA that charge as much extra as $2/ea dog/ea night. I prefer to walk around the CG and not use a dog run if
there is one. There's a place in Morgan Hill that started charging extra for each dog a couple of years ago. People that stay in places as
this place is always (or should anyway) pick up after their pets.

I like a place to be well lit at night also because the dogs get a walk before bed time. Always take a flashlight though.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby HorizonSeeker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:17 pm

You were smart to ask for the list. I'm not surprised at the responses. On my whirlwind trip down the Natchez Trace we deliberately stayed at several different types of places just to get a feel, and here's what I discovered:

Night 1 - Good Sam park in Tuscumbia, AL: very clean and safe. Graveled, level lots with full hook ups and free wifi. Cable was available too but since I haven't put a tv in Seeker yet, didn't matter. This was OK for the first night out since it was easy to access and felt safe with all the lighting and the gates. But in reality it was just a huge parking lot with no trees anywhere and very little grass for Gus to take a walk on. OK for a night on the road or if we'd had some laundry to do.

Nights 2 & 3 - state parks with water & electric only. Loved being in the woods and all the sites were paved and pretty level. Trails for hiking and walking Gus were plentiful. Too wet for campfires but we had a fire ring.

Night 4 - RV resort on the banks of the Mississippi: Not my style although it was nicely done with level, gravel lots and views of the river/barges going under the bridge. All the extras including a nice bath house, laundry, pool, hot tub, store, meeting room. Most expensive too at $40.00/night non-member price. I guess if I needed a night to recharge, dump my tanks, do laundry, etc. it would be good, but just too darn expensive.

Night 5 - Lake Lurleen state park in Tuscaloosa, AL: Although it's another state park, it's so much more. The lake is huge and gorgeous views everywhere. The folks were super nice and our site was easy to get into. But the best sites were lakeside where you had your own small deck alongside your site and steps down to the lake where you could even tie up your boat. And did I mention the lake views? Lots of trails and really heavily wooded. Electric and water only at my site but some had sewer too. All had fire rings and picnic tables. I really could go back there for a prolonged visit and the price was only $22/night.

Night 6 - Monte Sano state park in Huntsville, AL: I love this park because of it's beauty and the friendliness of the folks there. All sites are back in but I had plenty of room and my site was really level with access to 2 good trails right outside my door. Also am partial to this one as it's the place I first met up with members of this forum.

We also had one night of dry camping in Merriweather Lewis NP which was great and deep in the woods. (seeing a pattern here?)
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby Readytogo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:22 pm

This is one of those questions you cant really answer for someone else. it all depends on what kind of camping you like to do.I was interested H Seeker in hearing about Lake Lurleen State aprk because it is close to me and Ive never been there!Or Monte Sano in Huntsville, might take aday trip to both of them. If you,re just curious about what different people like to do, strangly enough I dont like a place to be TOO quiet, not loud and party atmosphere but I like to see people around me!I like a place I can go socialize with the other campers like a pool, I am a people person! Wendy
Readytogo

Postby HorizonSeeker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:11 am

Wendy - definitely take a trip to Lake Lurleen. You won't regret it. The drive into the park is filled with some beautiful homes (I like to look) and then suddenly you turn into the park. Just inside the entrance there's a large picnic area for day use as well as pedal boats for rent. And there's the lake. It's so large and so clean. The drive through the gate takes you up hill, but not too much up, into the camping areas and beyond them is another large picnic/playground area. All along the way there are trails through the woods and woodsy picnic areas. If I were nearby I'd be spending a lot of weekends there.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby Bethers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:44 am

What everyone says about how we all like different is so true. Someone in here mentioned liking well lit. I prefer the parks with NO lights. I just know I need a flashlight when it's dark.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Birdie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Why not do a RV Camground info/recommendation on those that you just visited. It really helps when the rest of us are traveling and we need to find a spot somewhere and we know some one has been in that area of the "state".
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby JoanE » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:30 am

I found this thread very interesting to see the different amenities or lack thereof that people look for. While I love mountains, in particular, I have this very real fear of snakes. I would probably never go hiking alone unless it was a very wide, clear trail. So I guess I should top my list of requirements with Must have a WomenRVer I can hike with.

Re boondocking - those of you who like to boondock more than use cgs, how do you find sites to use that have scenery, water, etc without being run off?
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm

I have wondered the same thing. I would have to be with someone or another rig before I would stay somewhere besides a campground. I don't really like being in a campground by myself unless there is someone that works there. I might stay at a Wal-Mart but haven't yet. My only attempt at boondocking was in a hospital parking lot. It was between 75 and 80 degrees inside my motorhome and I had to have some windows open which worried me. Every time I heard something I had to look to see what it was. I didn't have a 12 volt fan so I tried wetting washcloths and put them in the freezer and then on my face to cool off. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Liz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 pm

JoanE wrote:
Re boondocking - those of you who like to boondock more than use cgs, how do you find sites to use that have scenery, water, etc without being run off?

I use website searches/sites such as these:

http://freecampsites.net/

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

Also National & State Forest websites. Stop in at Ranger stations and ask them to suggest locations. Sometimes you need a (free) permit to camp, and also then the Rangers know you'll be there.

Search for county & community cgs too, as well as fairgrounds.

Word of mouth is good from trusted sources (like forum sisters).

Take where I am right now....camped on the banks at the confluence of 2 rivers (just got back from kayaking). Not free, not boondocking, but full hook-ups for $20 in an area where most cgs are charging $40-$50. It's a Fish Camp. Works for me...found it with an online search.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BayouLady » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Large Dog Friendly
Full hookups
WIFI
Drive Through Parking (especially being a newbie)
Privacy between campers
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Bonnie, Alexis and BECK
ImageImage
BayouLady

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:22 pm

This is very individual. Although I have made exceptions when one thing trumped another, I prefer to have:
1. Electric, especially in hot places. (I can manage 4 days without dumping as long as I can fill up my fresh water tank or at least know to come in with a full tank.)
2. Cell phone service or at least data from Verizon so I can work online. I must work online almost every day, so if no Verizon, I will need to find it somewhere, even if it means driving each day.
3. Large spaces so I am not on top of my neighbor. Ditto for peace and quiet.
4. No trees so I can get satellite TV.
5. Something to look at if I am staying more than one night. Also, nice to have wildlife, like coyotes howling and owls hooting at night.
6. Asphalt pads or at least clean gravel pads so I don't have a lot of dirt tracking in.
7. Occasional Laundromat
8. No need for pools, hot tubs, activities, or even showers. I almost never use those things, so don't care about them.

Now, I have spent a week at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon without any hookups and loved it, especially since it was cool and I did not need AC. I had enough data access to work, so that was fine. I also liked to watch the Kaibab squirrels run around and drop pine cones on my roof!

I really prefer state and national parks because spaces tend to be larger and more spread out, and they have things to look at. I also like visitor centers and museums and bike paths and other such things to wander around. Because I don't tow a vehicle, I like things to be close or at least bike riding distance.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Deeann » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:16 am

Must have:
Shade
Peace and quiet
No kids around
Dog friendly
Level spot (or close to level)

Don't need pool, spas, wifi, etc.
Deeann

Postby mnladyus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:13 pm

This is very interesting to follow. I know we all have different ideas on what's important, but one can learn so much from all of you ladies. Thanks for all the info. I'm so happy that I found you all.
Mary Ann & Butch
1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe Remodeled, 08 Trailblazer
2011 Schnauzer "Butch"
God's Country, Northern Minnesota

mnladyus

Postby msparker505 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 pm

5 things
SAFETY
SAFETY
SAFETY
SAFETY
SAFETY
Always first and foremost for women traveling/living alone.
msparker505

Postby skeedaddle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:34 am

we're always liking trees...trails...toilets..ha!
room...on the site..clothesline..kinda like a hillbilly...my husband loves a fire early am...
no crowded in.. ;-)
hoping for a chance to make our life ...better.. O:-)
vera
skeedaddle

PreviousNext

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations