What are the Top 5 Things to Look For in a Park/Campground?

What are the Top 5 Things to Look For in a Park/Campground?

Postby khenrie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:35 pm

As I'm beginning to map out our route and deciding where to stay, I'm running across interesting choices. Like, does having a fitness center trump free cable? and other such things. laundry? pool? recreation center? free wireless? shade? not shade?

What are the Top 5 Ammenities that are important to YOU. And what are some things you thought would be important that turned out not to be?
Choose to be happy!

Kimberly
Wife to Randy, mom and grandma
1999 Four Winds Chateau 31'
Photos from our 2011 Travels http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1935970031534.2115989.1010845598&l=5be7ea1322
khenrie

Re: What are the Top 5 Things to Look For in a Park/Campgrou

Postby Liz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm

khenrie wrote:What are the Top 5 Ammenities that are important to YOU. And what are some things you thought would be important that turned out not to be?

Hiking trails, water for kayaking or scenery, shade if it's hot, dump station, drinking water. Never important to me: cable, fitness ctr, rec. ctr, pool. Sometimes nice to have: wifi if the aircard doesn't work, laundry. Of course, pet friendly is a must.

Everyone's answers will vary according to differing interests and lifestyles, but these fit mine.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Pet friendly, quiet, pool, in that order. Oh, and the park not be full of trashy trailers with junk laying around.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mtngal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Most important to me, especially in summer, is shade! It often works out just right because the really big rigs don't want the sites with trees. If I'm in Texas I probably want electricity to run AC, but that's probably a given. And like Liz said....water and trails. I don't stay in rv parks often, but when necessary, I like the smaller ones that have a variety of people and rigs. Only stayed once in an 'rv resort'. That wasn't for me. Have fun planning. :)
Diana
mtngal

Postby avalen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 pm

oh gosh, thats going to be so individual, top on my list would be a lake or stream, but thats
not always going to happen and second on my list would be trees and grass. Electricity is on
the list but not a necessity because sometimes I'm going to do some boondocking. Sewer
hookup is NOT on the list because I know my tank will go two weeks before needing dumped.
I like peace and quiet so I'd say a nice campground without the riff-raff party crowd. Is there
such a thing? I'm sure somewhere there is. Another TOPS on my list is pet friendly cause I
just plain won't do business with someone if they don't accept my little girls. I'm sure as time
went on I could think of more but mostly my list would depend on how long I'm staying in any
particular place as to what ammenities I would prefer.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby longdog2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:40 pm

I agree with the answers given but I would also say it depends on the reason you are using the campground and the time of year. For example, you don't want to pay extra for something that you won't use or if you are just staying overnight while you travel, you don't need many extras. Clean restrooms can be important whether you use them or not because it is usually a good indication of how well the campground is managed and cared for. Ease of access and level sites are also important to most people.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Bethers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:11 pm

1. Scenery - can vary depending on where I am - in the desert - lovely desert views. In the NE - I want the most wooded sites. On Baja - the water. I love being near/on water. And I like having places to hike - all involved with scenery.

2. Dog Friendly - 2 equals #1, lol - as I couldn't stay someplace I can't bring my dog.

3. I'm not a fan of spending too much - boondocking is wonderful.

4. Occasionally - laundromat at the cg -

5. Occasionally full hookup or at least a dump station.

When I'm workamping, my wants are only slightly different. Then my # 3 would be preferably full hookups but at least water and electric with a dump station. And preferably wifi and cable - but I don't need tv - workamped a place without cell service, tv, wifi hahaha - 1 and 2 where there tho :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 pm

And the NUMBER ONE thing to look for - make sure Vickie is not there.

mitch5252

Postby khenrie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 am

LOL Mitch.

You all are really opening my eyes. Or at least taking them off the tediousness and on to the bigger picture.

We've decided, thus far, that dog-friendly, clean showers and pool/water are at the top of our list. Shade is also close to the top, as is proximity to our main destinations. We live in a pretty mild Colorado climate and will be going to Texas, Kansas, Minnesota and South Dakota in the summer! WE ARE GOING TO DIE! Of course, we will take all precautions to avoid this.

Thanks for sharing!
Choose to be happy!

Kimberly
Wife to Randy, mom and grandma
1999 Four Winds Chateau 31'
Photos from our 2011 Travels http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1935970031534.2115989.1010845598&l=5be7ea1322
khenrie

Postby Irmi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 am

1) Wooded, level sites
2) Water & electric
3) Family & pet friendly
4) Pool, fitness center, recreation center/club house are not necessary.
Irmi

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 am

Well kept/level sites
Wooded w/trails
Pet friendly
water/electric
Clean efficient bath house
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 am

I could care less about a pool, but did stay a week somewhere one summer with a whirlpool. I had aches, etc - and everyday went and soaked - felt sooo good. But I don't often stay those places - unless workamping - like this summer, will have an entire pool complex. I'll probably only use the whirlpool occasionally.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cpatinjones » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:39 pm

1)Wooded level sites
2)Trails
3)clean restrooms
4)FHU or W&E with dumpstation
5)Lake or pond
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Dog Friendly :)
Hiking opportunities (and not just around the camping circles :? ....)
Water....lake, ocean, river, stream, Blue Marlin Pond :) ....)
Beautiful land, trees, rocks.......
Fairly level parking...

Oh, yes, and if there are womanrv'ers there.....always an extra special plus! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A lot of choices depends on how long I plan to stay and what sort of weather there is. In extreme cold and heat I sure do like electricity so that I can run heaters/AC..... For short trips I am used to hauling my own water and can count on two fingers how often I have actually hooked up to sewer...but then I have never stayed in one place (yet) more than 6 days.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 pm

1. water and electric....
sewer is nice, but not a must if they have a dump station....but we are looking at boondocking in the future, so hookups then would be optional.... :lol:

2. as close as level site as possible....but we have been all kinds of surfaces...

3. a laundry somewhat close by...

4. something interesting to see....fishing, the beach, a creek, nature.....

5. Pet friendly.....won't go in a place that doesn't welcome Spinner, too.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Next

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations