Campgrounds near Santa Barbara (Goleta)?

Campgrounds near Santa Barbara (Goleta)?

Postby shnz821 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi Everyone!
Now that I'm getting my new rig, I'm planning the first big trip of the summer. I want to go out to California to visit my Aunt & Uncle in the Goleta area. Does anyone know of any good campgrounds in the area that they would recommend (or avoid)? I saw a large resort listed in my AAA guidebook, but it's marked $$$ and I'd really like to keep the costs down a little, as I'm planning several stops on the way there and back. Other cgs I saw in the book, had restrictions on RV's over 22' in length...unfortunately mine is 22.5'. :(
Anyway, I want to find a place near the beach, or decent scenery....that allows pets (will have the 3 dogs onboard), and preferably has water/electric. It looks like cgs in California have alot more restrictions...but maybe that's just what is listed in the AAA book??
Thanks in advance for any advice!!
2007 Itasca Navion 23H
shnz821

Re: Campgrounds near Santa Barbara (Goleta)?

Postby Forestgal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Anything in CA during the summer is going to be pricey, especially in the Santa Barbara area. The one campground that comes to mind is a bit up the road, in Buellton. But it's going to be close to $50/night during the summer. I've stayed there a few times with groups and the price has been a little less. Nice campground. Lake Cachuma might be an option, but I'm not sure about the hookups there. Any state campgrounds will be booked by now and most don't have any kind of hook-ups. There's a RV "resort" right on Hwy. 101 that is pricey, too. I've never stayed there and probably wouldn't because it's on the highway. You might look down the coast a bit toward Ventura. There are a couple of campgrounds down there, but it would be about a 45 min. drive (through traffic) from the ones I know of.

If you find some and want to PM me with the names I could tell you what I know about them. I don't want to burst your bubble about finding something up there in the summer, but it ain't gonna be easy!

Laura -- and Jed
Forestgal

Postby Rufflesgurl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Refugio in Goleta - 20 Mi W of SB on Hwy. 101 10 Refugio Beach Rd., Goleta

El Capitan State Beach, Goleta, CA (866) 410 5783

I have not stayed at either of these places but have driven thru. They are right next to the ocean. If you Google campgrounds in Santa Barbara area, you will get quite a few selections. There again, I have not stayed in SB in my MH but have stayed in Ventura at a campground across the hwy from the ocean. It's pretty nice but we thought it was $$$ and it doesn't have cable hookups. Good luck with your search.

You will be in the gorgeous SB area no matter where you camp down there!! I'm near Pismo Beach area north of SB

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby shnz821 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 am

I completely forgot about Lake Cachuma! My uncle took us there before, on the way to Solvane. It shouldn't be too far away. Thanks for that tip!! I'll have to check it out.
I'm looking to be out there the week before Memorial Day, so hopefully I stand some chance of booking a site. We'll see...
2007 Itasca Navion 23H
shnz821

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:38 pm

I stopped at Lake Cachuma campground last month when I was staying in SB (I used to live in Goleta) and it is very nice from what I could tell. Worth checking into.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby shnz821 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:07 am

Ok, so my 23' rig is too large for some of the other campground mentioned. But Lake Cachuma would work. There are alot of bad reviews on the internet about the campground, but mainly it centers around over-crowding and loud music on the weekends. Hopefully we'll be ok, since I'm planning a Mon-Thu stay. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again for all the helpful tips! :)
2007 Itasca Navion 23H
shnz821

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations