Buckhorn Creek, Lake O the Pines, TX (COE)

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O the Pines, TX (COE)

Postby Birdie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:36 pm

City and State: Lake O the Pines, (Jefferson), TX

Name of CG: Buckhorn Creek

CG Website: Check COE website

Overall Rating: (on a scale of 1 – 10) about 4

Pros: Nice environment for fishing, hiking, birding. Relatively quiet for weekend.

Cons: Sites were elbow to elbow. One side of the park had the water go off Saturday night. The bathroom/showers also had no water. Our side had water.

Comments: I would not choose to stay here again, but would ‘try’ Brushy Creek Park to see the difference.

Rate: $10.00 nightly rate (for Golden Age/Access pass holders) and $20.00 for others, has 30 amp and water, with a dump on the way out of the park.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Re: Buckhorn Creek, Lake O the Pines, TX (COE)

Postby Liz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Disappointing for a COE park....they are usually quite nice. Thanks for the info.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm

How do you find all these COE parks? I went to their web site and don't find it very easy to use. It looks like only 2 in Louisiana have electricity and no directions on how to get there.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Birdie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:18 pm

Martha, the web site is not user friendly. You have to do a lot of poking around. Here is the spot for Louisana.
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visito ... m?state=LA and it only shows 6 as available for camping. Texas has a bunch of campgrounds - we probably had more "active" political leaders at the time these were being constructed.

Keep in mind that they always have two sets of campgrounds - reservable and walk-ins. They call it first come, first serve. They do that so travelers that pull up may be able to get a site. However you can reserve spots thru recreation.gov. Normal stay time is limited to 14 days. However, during off-season, you can stay 120 days. That's 3 months at $9 per day = on edit I should have said at the Potters Creek cg = - you figure it out. Tis a great deal!

For some campgrounds it will be more $$'s and possibly less for others. Golden Age is 1/2 'normal price' and that's what makes it attractive to some of us.

I did go visit Potters Creek campground today at Canyon Lake. I'll be moving up there later this week. I'll post about it after I get checked in. It was totally different from all of the others and is a beautiful, beautiful campground.
Last edited by Birdie on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Martha, you might find this site useful...

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm

mitch5252

Postby Liz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:57 pm

Acadianmom wrote:How do you find all these COE parks? I went to their web site and don't find it very easy to use. It looks like only 2 in Louisiana have electricity and no directions on how to get there.

Martha

I carry this book with me: "Camping with the Corps of Engineers." It lists all the COE cgs by state with directions & list of amenities. I have an older edition, so listed prices have risen a little, but this new edition might have them right:

http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Corps-Eng ... 765&sr=1-1
Last edited by Liz on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:30 pm

I have that book also. But prices aren't so good for me - you need to have the golden age pass to get the great prices. I still like their cg's sometimes, though.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks everyone for the information. I ordered the book. Now if I just get to use it. lol I finally got my Senior Pass at the Shenandoah National Park and it has already paid for it's self.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations