Ohio to Florida

Ohio to Florida

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi ladies~~~
I'm in the middle of a mental block and can use some help.

I'll be leaving from the Columbus Ohio area in mid- October and would like to visit Dad in Florida but I have no clue what would be the best route. Obviously I'd want to bypass any chance of early snowfall in the Appalachians and would like to get to any national parks or great sightseeing along the way. I usually like to be in one spot for a week, but that's flexible.

I'm guessing the mental block is because I really don't like Florida, or what I remember of it from being there as a kid. And knowing i love the wide open west puts going east into a brain freeze of congestion,
So positive experiences, stops and routes would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: Ohio to Florida

Postby Birdie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 pm

However you travel, I would expect to see you at my place in FL. The campground is small, nice and right across the street from my place. I am not too far from I-10 (east/west) and I-75 (north/south). Tina should probably have a nice route out of Ohio and lots of others have traveled those roads. I haven’t done the north/south from the FL area. Just let me know when to fix dinner!!! Hugs on Punkin.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby JudyJB » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 am

I think your best route is still I-75 all the way. Yes, there will be mountains in Tennessee, but there are going to be mountains on every route. Best is to just watch the weather and head off when it looks like it will be dry. Give yourself an extra day or two so you can hunker down if you get any snow, except I think you will be early enough to avoid snow.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 am

Personally, I'd always choose to head east to the Blue Ridge Parkway and use it to go south. Beautiful drive.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 pm

There are so many choices heading south. There is the choice to wander for a bit on the Blue Ridge or wander a bit farther south by picking up the Natchez Trace (CArol's happy place). You would have a hard time going wrong be wandering around Georgia and trying out some of her state parks and lakes. There is the wander over past Asheville, NC and then visiting some of the NC state parks. I would second Birdie's suggestion on finding campground at Advent Christian Village in the FL panhandle off I-10 and staying a while to visit with she and Liz (and Bob). The hostesses are some of the best!

As you have already figured out in your wanderings since retirement, having so many choices make you head hurt sometimes.

If you head over through Pennsylvania before heading south Lori (and Dock) are no longer traveling due to health issues but she is a founding forum member whose laughter and smile and welcoming heart always stay in your memory.

Have fun planning!

Tina
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Oh, Tina, I love the Natchez Trace, too. Both those should have great color the time you're talking, Cheryl. And I agree about the Georgia state parks. And while in Georgia, Savannah is a neat city to tour.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 pm

You know Cheryl, if some of us could convince you to like kayaking more you might find the lakes, rivers and waters of the east coast much more interesting..... even if some of those southern options have an alligator or two....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 am

Have you selected a time and route yet?
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:04 pm

bluepinecones wrote:Have you selected a time and route yet?

Not yet. Dont know why I'm procrastinating this much. Guess being stuck in Illinois for 2 months got me out of the planning habit.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations