Colorado National Parks

Colorado National Parks

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Anyone have recommendations for routes north/south or east/west to see the NPs in Colordo? I've driven I-25 many times on the front range in the past but without a trailer.

Thinking about doing the Great Sand Dunes then heading north to Rocky Mountain, which shouldn't be too much of a problem, but on a southbound trip later, what's the best way to drive and see Black Canyon of Gunnison and then get to Mesa Verde?

Might see some of the national monuments I haven't seen before too.

Ideas appreciated. Thanks.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: Colorado National Parks

Postby JudyJB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:09 pm

It is really hard to avoid any high passes, but most are easily doable, even with a trailer, as long as you aren't horribly underpowered.

I might do a loop, heading west from Great Sand Dunes to Durango and Mesa Verde, and then turning north to Grand Canyon of the Gunnison. If you want to avoid some of the highest mountains, you take a farther west route from Mesa Verde to Gunnison.( I would NOT take the route from Durango to Ouray.) Then I would head north and circle back east through Rocky Mtn Natl Park.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:41 pm

And one of my absolute favorite places is on the west side of Rocky Mountain NP... Grand Lake. It's still a gem as they keep getting more tourists but not like most of the towns.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:27 pm

think one of the parks is called Estes spelling I am sure is wrong but maybe I am wrong as I didn't see it on the list so perhaps it's just a town close to one... you are good at stopping and unhooking and doing day trips that would be a good idea... have you been up Pike's peak? and there is a park of some sort near Denver lot's to see in CO Utah as well ...
have fun in planing it
sheila
snowball

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:18 am

Sheila~ I've been to Colorado and the front range 6 times and have been to Estes, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Manitou, the AF Academy and a few other places.

Right now the idea is to head north from the Sand Dunes towards RMNP then on a south or west trip, get to Mesa Verde & Gunnison.

Thanks for the feedback ladies.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Cudedog » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:26 am

IrishIroamed wrote:Anyone have recommendations for routes north/south or east/west to see the NPs in Colordo? I've driven I-25 many times on the front range in the past but without a trailer.

I would definitely make a stop at Dinosaur National Monument in western Colorado if your route takes you anywhere near there.

https://www.nps.gov/dino/index.htm

Years ago I took my children to Dinosaur when they were really too young to appreciate it. I don't think either of them remember going there.

I thought Dinosaur fascinating and amazing. Don't remember what the roads were like, but I don't think they were too bad.

I also took them to see Flaming Gorge, which was not too far away from Dinosaur. When we got there, they were both disappointed. When I asked why, they both said they were both expecting to see "Flaming George". :lol:

https://utah.com/flaming-gorge

A guy on fire at the bottom of a steep canyon really would have been something to see!

I could only laugh. I still miss being a mother of young children.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:41 am

I second Dinosaur... Truly enjoyed it. Went there after my last Grand Lake visit. And intend to go back when I have more time.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 am

Mesa verde has a nice electric and water national park campground halfway up the Mesa. When I was there several years ago you had to un hook and drain your water hoses before dark because one bear had discovered that biting water hoses was a great way to get a drink in this dry desert. Never saw him However.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Thirty years ago we went to the Grand Canyon, left there and went to Moab to Arches National Park and Dead Horse Point. From there we went across to Grand Junction, down to Black Canyon of the Gunnison, thru Silverton to Durango. I don't remember if Grand Junction to Silverton is the worst or Silverton to Durango is but it's all scary. I wouldn't do it pulling a trailer. Later we wished we had taken the train from Durango to Silverton. Things are so crowded now that you would probably need reservation way in advance. From Durango we went to Mesa Verde.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks Martha. So far I've got a CG near the Dunes NP and will probably stick to the front range this trip.
Cheryl

IrishIroamed

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations