John Prince Park Palm Beach Fl

John Prince Park Palm Beach Fl

Postby elkriverrats » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Hoping some of you can offer insights about this park.

I am heading back to visit hubby for a few days and got rv fever when planning! Was able to get the last site in the park. I am unsure if I am better off flying again or driving. If I drive, my mom would like to ride along and she and I will day trip while hubby has class during the day. She and I will also (hopefully) stop in Savannah and St Augustine on the way down which I am really excited about. She would like to stay in Myrtle Beach on way home to check out one of the parks in their CG network. The downside to this road trip is being somewhat rushed to get there and back in my window off from work and the extra expense of driving over flying. The upside is camping duh and having another great trip with my mom!

This seems a weird question to ask but I found it online so it must be true :roll: has anyone experienced a problem with the homeless living in the park? I would not ordinarily be concerned given the mostly good reviews I found online but if my mom is there alone while I am with hubby, possibly overnights, that may change my mind.

Also, any tips on what to see in the area? I may have to drive the rv so would like to avoid heavily congested areas and tight parking. We like history, gardens, outdoorsy type activities mostly.
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Re: John Prince Park Palm Beach Fl

Postby JudyJB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:38 am

I have stayed there twice and saw no homeless people. The campground is only a small part of the much larger city park so maybe that is what they are talking about. Check Rvparkreviews.com for recent reports on the campground.

Don't let them put you in one of the single digit sites near the entrance because you pull in and then have a 200 foot backup to get out. Rest of campground is fine. A lot of seasonal French Canadians stay there so you can practice your French. :) (which I should have done because all the French I learned in high school is long gone.)

Surrounding neighborhood is a little shabby but campground is very safe so I would not worry about that.

Can I ask why you chose that area? Might be more things to see in other parts of Florida
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby elkriverrats » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:58 am

Thanks Judy! Hubby has a class there for 3 days so I am going to meet him. It is not be our first choice of destination in FL :) I decided to look for campgrounds on a whim and the others nearby were full. I got the last spot, 155, in this one.

I have not looked too much for activities in that area - have been focused on planning the drive and grocery list. Still on the fence about camping or flying. Last night I thought camping, this morning I think I should fly and save the gas money for summer trips I hope to do. The big perk to driving are the stops on the way there and back - I really want to see Savannah and St. Augustine (even though it will only be a half day for each probably). Well, I have to decide today as my refund window is closing!

Your comment about the size of the entire park makes sense...I was happily reading reviews when I came across a news article about a rape by the lake and that made me take notice. Other than that it seemed to be more of a NIMBY issue.

Safe and happy travels!
PS - forwarded your blog link to hubby to check out the area near Lake Mead. Beautiful! Can't wait for that trip (definitely flying)
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby elkriverrats » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:56 am

Decided to fly for this one...the savings in gas alone will allow me to do several weekend trips.
Now I need to find some Palm Beach activities for my few days there!
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby JudyJB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:25 pm

There is a very nice lighthouse north of there, near Jupiter--Jupiter Inlet Light. They offer tours. There is also a park at Jupiter Inlet which is very nice. Nearer West Palm Beach is John D. McArthur state park along the ocean.

Start at this page on my blog and look at the next four or five postings of that area. http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/2015/02/ ... -park.html
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby elkriverrats » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Right up my alley Judy! Thanks for the info and will check out your posts. Have a great night!
Kelly
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations