Georgia Campgrounds?

Georgia Campgrounds?

Postby teebell » Fri May 15, 2015 5:47 am

Hi everyone!
It looks like most of you camp in the mid-west and west of the US. Has anyone stayed in any nice CG in Georgia. I'm finally retiring & we are going to stay in Georgia for 4 weeks at least this October. We have stayed in Shady Grove CG and loved it but the 9:00 curfew was a bit much to take. :? Thanks for your help.
teebell

Re: Georgia Campgrounds?

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri May 15, 2015 6:07 am

Many of the Georgia State Parks are beautiful. I stayed in one several years ago as I was heading south to FL and it even had cable. :o And all I was really hunting for was the beautiful woods. Besides not liking a 9 pm curfew let folks know more about what you are hunting for in the way of a campground. Many of us are happy with just water and electric, many are looking for full hook ups, cable and a hot tub next to the pool. Do you like good hiking? Want water to get your kayak wet? An Ocean? Do you want touristy stuff ? Where ever you land. Have fun. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Fri May 15, 2015 7:44 am

Yep, let us know what you like. There are lots of great places in Georgia, but without knowing your preferences, it's hard to make recommendations. I'm more rustic in what I like. I prefer the coe and state parks, for example.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Fri May 15, 2015 3:15 pm

And what part of Georgia do you want to visit?

I recently stayed for the second time in Old Federal Campground at Lake Lanier. It is a Corps of Engineering campground and only $15 for us seniors. Almost every site is on the water. I was in Site 45 and had a view of two sides of the peninsula I was on. Water and electric only, but nearby dump station. They do lock the gates, but I think it is more like 10 pm.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby bluepinecones » Fri May 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Think GA State Parks also offer a senior discount.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby linann » Wed May 27, 2015 12:39 am

Red Top Mountain, north of Atlanta, is a great park with beautiful lake views and hiking trails. There is also a lodge with a restaurant and rocking chairs outside. Only thing I do not like about GA state parks is you book a "type" of campsite, but not the specific site. When you arrive, you have to drive around and select the site from the available ones of the type you booked. Some of the sites as this park could be difficult to get into with a large rig, at least for me.

I prefer FL or SC state parks because you can select the actual site number when booking. There are usually photos of each site to help in making that decision.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby dbdjeb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:21 pm

I stayed in 2 great campgrounds in Georgia this spring.

Jekyll Island Campground. I liked Jekyll Island because it seems to have retained its personality and, although a tourist destination, wasn't nearly as commercialized as St. Simons. The campground was very nice as well.

Skidaway Island State Park outside of Savannah. The park is beautiful and has some nice hiking trails. It's also right outside of Savannah, making it a perfect spot to visit this magnificent old city.
DBDJEB
dbdjeb

Postby teebell » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:41 am

Thanks to all who gave some info on GA campgrounds! I'm retiring 6/30 (Yay! next week :D ) and will have more time to spend looking around online and also to answer/join some of your conversations. We are still planning on a month in GA in October so we're still open for suggestions. We have a 34' fifth wheel, a 2015 Crusader. Some of the state CGs won't fit us but there seem to be a lot who will.
teebell

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations