Olympic National Park Wash State

Olympic National Park Wash State

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm getting tired and can't remember if it's Olympic or Olympia. Anywho, it's that peninsula in Washingston State. I'd like to see it before I turn south and head back to Texas. Any opinions, advice, experiences, or whatever? The pictures are beautiful and I need one more view of the Pacific before I head east and south.

Thanks,
Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Re: Olympic National Park Wash State

Postby chalet05 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:21 am

Nikki, you have it right 'Olympic'. The peninsula is a big place - I grew up in Port Angeles.

On the west is obviously the Pacific. I stay at a membership campground near Ocean Shores. North of that is the Hoh Rain Forest and Forks, Washington (setting of the Twilight books and movies). Cape Flattery, the farthest point west in the lower 48. LaPush and Neah Bay are fishing towns. Highway 112 is along the north coast but not a 'fast' road like 101. On 101 is Lake Crescent and Marymere Falls. In Port Angeles you can go out on Ediz Hook to watch the seals and sea lions (not hoards of them). Hurricane Ridge is a nice drive in the mountains with hiking and deer.

Sol Duc Hot Spring is west of Port Angeles.

As far as places to stay, I'm not much help since I have friends and family to stay with. West of Port Angeles is Salt Creek Recreation for camping - believe it's county and I have stayed there. It sits on a bluff overlooking the Straits of Juan de Fuca and you can go down to explore the beach and tide pools.

From Port Angeles you can take a ferry to Victoria, B.C.

I'd suggest you read about Port Townsend to see if that interests you.

Those are things I can think of, but if you have specific questions fire away. I'm going to be in Canada so won't have daily Internet but will check in when I can.

So glad you are enjoying your time on the road!
Anita
chalet05

Postby carold » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:14 am

We stayed at the Hoh rain forest campground. First come.....as with any national park, no hookups, but right next to the river and visitor center. Great hiking. Check out tGM' s blog and their website is great (couldn't get website to paste). I think the town of Fork isn't to far. If u r in that area, don't miss it. carold
carold

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 am

You're in my old stamping grounds. Don't think there's any place prettier altho it does take rain to keep it that green. Lord, I wish I was with you.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Olive6001 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks, everyone. Karen, I wish you were here, too.
Smoke from the wildfires is driving me out of southern Oregon. There's a huge fie around Ashland that is sending smoke up this way.
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Olive6001 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Smoke from wildfires cleared today and I'm scheduled to leave Diamond Lake Monday a.m. No WA this trip, but soon, I hope.

Thanks for all the posts. I can come back to them when I'm planning the WA trip.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby JudyJB » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:35 am

I have been here in Olympic peninsula for last couple of weeks. Send me a private message when you start planning again.

No smoke here, by the way.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations