Sterling State Park, South of Detroit, MI

Sterling State Park, South of Detroit, MI

Postby JudyJB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:37 am

This is a very handy state park just south of Detroit, directly on Lake Erie. In fact, it is about the only campground most of the year anywhere near the city. It is also only about a mile off of I-75 at Exit 15 and so easily accessed and on the way to almost anyplace in Michigan. It is also open about 8 months of the year, which is more than most places are open around here.

There is absolutely no shade, but this is a good thing because you have a good view of the lake from all sites. About 2/3 of the sites have water and electric and the other third have full hookups, however, be warned that the water is not turned on all times the campground is open. I had to fill my tanks near the dump station and am using that water. And it is also sometimes quite windy, but the view of the lake is fantastic, so well worth it, at least to me. Last warning is that there is also a $7 day use fee, or you can buy an annual permit good at all Michigan State Parks: $11 for residents, $31 for non-residents.

Lots of bike and hiking trails around here. Also a boat ramp and ponds or river areas where you can kayak. One of the trails goes underneath the freeway to a War of 1812 battlefield national monument.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Sterling State Park, South of Detroit, MI

Postby Deeann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Sounds like a neat campground. Thanks for the heads-up.
Deeann

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations