Hensley Lake COE Campground, Raymond, CA

Hensley Lake COE Campground, Raymond, CA

Postby JudyJB » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:00 pm

This campground is about 15 miles north of Fresno and 12 miles northeast of Madera, California. Being a Corp of Engineering campground, it is a real bargain for seniors, costing only $15 per night for electric and water site, and $10 for no hookup sites. It is a bit out of the way off U.S. 99, but worth it for the cost and the view, especially considering that California State Parks are charging at least $35 for no hookups at all and dirt sites, and commercial campgrounds are even more expensive in this very expensive state.

Roads are paved, as are all sites, and the park is well-cared for. There is a lake, obviously, although right now it is almost dry because they are maintaining the water pumps. It should have water in it after the winter rains. This is the edge of the valley, so temps can be in 90s-100s in summer, but very pleasant during the rest of the year. There is almost no shade, although I did have good afternoon shade in Site 22, which is part of a double site.

A potential problem is that this area is very hilly, so many sites have picnic tables either above or below them. Ditto for tent sites, where cars park in small "parking lots" in groups of 3 or 4 and then have to walk down or up to their individual tent sites and picnic tables. Ground is very rocky, so they did what they could to make good sites with views, and at least most of the up or down areas have cement walkways and stairs. About 1/3 of the sites have fantastic views of the lake, even when it is dry! Some sites do have difficulty with being level, but I was able to get into two sites and use boards on one side to get me reasonably comfortable.

Anyway, for a really cheap partial hookup site, I like this place and the view. Good place to take a break for a few days.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations