CG Mt. Shasta, Ca.?

CG Mt. Shasta, Ca.?

Postby Cudedog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 am

Looks like Garbanzo Bean and I will be heading out for our maiden voyage in a couple of weeks. I plan to stop at Mt. Shasta, Medicine Lake volcano, and Glass Mountain (a really cool place, so I understand. Glass Mountain is a vent - one of many - of the Medicine Lake volcano. This particular vent erupted mostly obsidian - black volcanic glass.)

I hope to eventually visit many of the Cascade volcanoes over the next year or two.

Being able to drive to these volcanoes (and have a place to stay when I got there!) was a major motivating factor for my van project.

Anyway... does anyone have any campground recommendations for the Mt. Shasta/Medicine Lake area? I will need electric, because it will be cold and I will need to run my heater.

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: CG Mt. Shasta, Ca.?

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:31 am

I boondocked near there so can't help with a cg. But you'll love the area.

Why do you need electric to run your heater?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 pm

If you decide to go with a campsite....Sycamore Grove in Red Bluff is great. It's my favorite stop on north/south runs.
Forest Service, very low key.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:46 pm

mtngal wrote:If you decide to go with a campsite....Sycamore Grove in Red Bluff is great. It's my favorite stop on north/south runs.
Forest Service, very low key.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mendocin ... ecid=25242

Looks great and with the senior or access pass, if you have them ... a great price for those electric/water sites!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Beth. I decided to go with one of those oil filled heaters that kind of look like an old time radiator. I found one half size of the regular ones. It is perfect for my cargo van conversion. Just enough heat without too much. Also they are silent (no fan) and don't get super hot to touch. They just ... radiate. Very comfortable heat - they don't dry out the air. The oil filled terminology is misleading a bit - the radiator is sealed - the oil never comes out you never see it. :D
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby judi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Railroad Car RV park in Dunismore, CA - not too far from Shasta.
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations