Has anyone been to the St. Louis RV Park?

Has anyone been to the St. Louis RV Park?

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Me and DD, and 5 tiny dogs are going on our first long trip mid-Sept.

Though we'll be Boon-docking all the way to our first destination...which is St. Louis, I wondered if any of you have experienced this park?

We'll stay there no matter what, since it's right in the middle of downtown, but I'd like to go in with my eyes fully open...if possible ;)

BTW....I've read the reviews already online. So far my only concern is the un-evenness of the spaces.
Cindy, 3 dogs, 2 birds, and 1 turtle

“If you talk to the animals they will talk with you
and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them
you will not know them, and what you do not know
you will fear. What one fears one destroys.” Dan George
ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Re: Has anyone been to the St. Louis RV Park?

Postby MelissaD » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 pm

MelissaD

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:41 am

Well, we stayed there, and wouldn't choose anything else. If you want to be close to where the action is...this is it! We were never a few miles from anything!

ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Postby avalen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:08 pm

I just realized you have gone and come back already, were the sites uneven?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:31 am

VERY uneven!

The assistant manager helped me back up my MH onto 2 X 4s to help level it, but only the outer dually was up on the wood (the inner one just hanging in the air), and I found out later that that was a very bad thing to do...that you can blow out a side wall that way.

Plus the front was still out of level.

So I have to get some kind of levelers on this rig...but I'm finding that they are quite expensive. I'm going to have to save up.

ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 am

I just use the lynx levelers - easy to drive onto, etc. I hate to think that a park mgr would "help" to level your rig in such a dangerous way. Dang, that's bad. But also - it's very rare that I can't level with my one box of levelers. And most of the time I don't need to use them at all.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:29 pm

Those I hear crack and break easily, plus I'm pretty sure I would have been unable to get both the front and the right-back up on those things simultaneously to get the level right.

Unfortunately the 2 places I want to visit regularly in MO have a level problem where I have to do both the back right side and the front....Sigh...

ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Hey...I just found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rv-leveling-RV- ... 4177a950da

They are advertised as more durable, better engineered, a little taller, have a built-in "ramp" and weight accommodating.

I just need a method of using blocks where I can get both the front and one side up at the same time...so I don't have to spend hours and hours of frustration trying to do it.

Anybody?

ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Postby monik7 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 pm

The Trailer Life plastic Lego-type blocks from CW that I have haven't broken or cracked. When I was at Grand Canyon in May, the site was so unlevel I had the back driver-side duals (both tires) up on the Trailer Life ones 4 high. That was crazy but I got it up there the first try. Are the ones you're looking at on eBay really $69.95 plus $14 shipping for one or is it a set? I used 20 on both front tires at Pinecrest Lake in CA because the site was high at the back. If the price is for one, 20 would cost a fortune.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:19 pm

You get 4 in the set.

Yeah...at my Dad's in Eagle Rock, MO, he jacked up the right rear 4" or more, and the front 2 - 3"

It was nuts.

I have the orange cheapy blocks left over from using on the TT. I was thinking I'd use those in the front and try out a set of these new ones in the back. But I'll bet those cheapy ones are not going to work with the weight in front.

But I need a method of getting up on the blocks...both front and back at the same time time.

I just watched this video on YouTube where these people were trying to lift both the front and back on the right side only with a huge class A. It was ridiculous...it took about 20 minutes. And sad too...they didn't know they were being videoed by this mean person who posted it with the title; "How not to level your RV." So sad. I don't want to end up on somebody's video for entertainment purposes. LOL!

ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:07 pm

I have had to used my orange block under both the front tire and the two rear tires on the same side......the more you use the blocks I think the easier it is to use them. And the price is right comparatively ...... I think you learn just how much to touch the gas to creep up the blocks and balance on the top block. And when you miss the center you get back in and try again. As Beth mentioned the majority of the time the rig is level enough just by picking the better site when available and or parking on the flatter area of what is available. Then again....it all makes me appreciate my shorter rig... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:25 pm

At my Dad's I would need 2 under each wheel in the front, and probably 4 under the right rear.

I think if I would have done it right at the STL park...it would have been the same set up.

So I'm guessing I would back up a little further than I need; set the blocks in front of the 2 front wheels and in front of the right rears, and then just drive up forward on them all?

Seems too easy LOL!

ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 pm

BirdbyBird wrote:I have had to used my orange block under both the front tire and the two rear tires on the same side......the more you use the blocks I think the easier it is to use them. And the price is right comparatively ...... I think you learn just how much to touch the gas to creep up the blocks and balance on the top block. And when you miss the center you get back in and try again. As Beth mentioned the majority of the time the rig is level enough just by picking the better site when available and or parking on the flatter area of what is available. Then again....it all makes me appreciate my shorter rig... :)

Ditto ... it gets easier as you use them.

My pack came with 8 of them ... which is plenty for me so far. If not, I'll move to where I don't need more. I don't want a site that far off.

I've been using the same pack since 2005 - they are now starting to show enough wear that I might consider replacing them. 8 years isn't a bad time frame I don't think.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby ialwaysneedaroadtrip » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:28 am

OK....I'm buying 2 sets of those Utility Blocks..that'll give me 8 and plus I still have the cheapy set, too.

The problem with those is the cheapy ones don't support weight and crack in soft dirt, which is the situation at my dad's. But these UTBs are supposed to fix that.

Hey, it's better than $2k - $4k for installed levelers!

ialwaysneedaroadtrip

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations