Wanapum State Park, South-Central Washington, B or B+

Wanapum State Park, South-Central Washington, B or B+

Postby ellenw » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:41 am

I just got back from a weekend at this new-to-me State Park. It's right on the Columbia River where I-90 crosses it, nearly at the dead center of the state. I snagged one of the premium sites ($37/night FH) by making a reservation back in March. The park was fully booked, but still fairly peaceful except for a pair of undisciplined Cocker Spaniels who barked at every dog that went by. :x

Spending the extra money for one of the riverview sites like #13 is worth it, not only for the view, but because it puts the chaos if any behind you. :? 8-)

There was only a little shade in the 85+° afternoons, but I was able to move my chair and Tucker's pen around a bit to stay comfortable. There are huge deciduous shade trees (California Sycamore and Oregon Ash), just not enough of them. I hated to retreat indoors to A/C after driving 130 miles to be there, but I gave in when it came time to cook dinner.

The campground is on two loops, one of which has the river views. I didn't explore the rear loop, nor the day use or boat launch areas. The bathroom/shower is central to the main loop and clean. Trash cans were convenient, as well as recycling barrels. The campground hosts were very much in evidence. Verizon service was ok, with occasional 4G, mostly 3G.

I wouldn't say the area was conducive to much hiking, as it's surrounded by high brush with few trails, but my neighbors in #12 brought bikes and had a great ride on the paved roads in the area. Their children spent most of Saturday in the water. Their moms said it was icy! :o

This campground rates a B in my mind. I've made a note in my RV journal to try it again in late September or October when it's not quite so hot.
Ellen (and Tucker of course!), traveling in "Joy," a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

http://www.JoyfulMeanderings.wordpress.com

Image Image Image
ellenw

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations