Horsethief Lake National Forest, Hill, SD

Horsethief Lake National Forest, Hill, SD

Postby Birdie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:52 pm

City and State: Hill City, SD
Date: 8/2014

Name of CG: Horsethief Lake National Forest Campground

CG Website: National Forest

Overall Rating: 9

Pros: National Forest This campground is located on a very small lake. Several campsites can accommodate large rigs. Only a few are concrete. In the first loop sites 6, 7, and 8 are concrete. Site 7 is the largest. This is located two (2) miles west of Mt. Rushmore.

Cons: I had reserved 8 days in this campground. I received a phone call saying they were closing the campground a few days early and would I be able to move to another campground. I worked with them to come in a day early and leave a day early from the other campground. Remember NF has "no services", it is just a parking spot.

Comments: The end of August is the time to be here! When I came into the park only 1 site was taken in this loop and my reservations were already posted on the post. At dark, there were 3 of us campers. Did fill up toward weekend. Location is fantastic. They are draining the lake to remove sludge and return depth. There are two campgrounds called Horsetheif. The other one is down the highway, around the corner and is a commercial operation. Be careful where you make reservations.

Rate: $12 with Golden Age Pass
Last edited by Birdie on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Re: Horsetheif Lake National Forest, Hill, SD

Postby dpf » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:59 am

WELL! It appears to me that you omitted a campground in South Dakota! :x :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Re: Horsethief Lake National Forest, Hill, SD

Postby Birdie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Yep sure did Pat! That campground is a State Secret! Those who have had the opportunity to avail themselves would most probably give it a 10/10 rating. However, keeping it secret might indicate it would be available for a return visit! It is my intent to provide breakfast at my next stay there.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Return to CG/RV Park Info/Recommendations