INsulating a bathroom skylight

INsulating a bathroom skylight

Postby oregontocal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:43 pm

My small bathroom is usually much, much colder than the rest of the RV, first because it's at the back of the rig and the door is usually closed. Second, I think a lot of cold air is coming in via the skylight in the shower. It doesn't leak during heavy rain, so I'm pretty sure there's no problem there. However, I can feel that it's much colder up there. I use the foam cushions for the vents, but I'm trying to find something that might work with the skylight. Any suggestions?
oregontocal

Re: INsulating a bathroom skylight

Postby avalen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm assuming its much bigger then the regular vents where you use the pillows to stuff
up there, so I would have to use that adhesive clear carpet protecter stuff. I bought a
roll of it and used it to cover over all my a/c vents for winter, sticks real good but
peels off easily when I want it to. If your skylight has a plastic edge all around it you
could just stick it to the edges and it would create a dead air space inside the skylight
but would still allow the light to come through. Ok, thats my idea, wonder what others
would do.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby oregontocal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:54 am

Ava, what a great idea! I never would have thought about that stuff. I considered using the shrink-plastic combined with the tape, but didn't feel like spending all that time with my neck in such a painful position. I wonder if Wal-Mart has the carpet protector?
oregontocal

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:51 am

I bought a piece of 4" foam that you would use to make cushions out of, and cut it just slightly larger than the opening and shoved it up there. Hadn't thought of the carpet stuff but don't you get adhesive residue when you take it off?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby oregontocal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 am

Karen, foam was my first thought. However, in their infinite wisdom, the manufacturer designed the sides of the opening to slant outward. Duh. I'd have to stick the foam up with Velcro or something. So, the carpet stuff might be the best bet. There's always Gunk-Off for any residue.
oregontocal

Postby avalen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:05 pm

I bought the stuff at Home Depot, don't think Walmart has it, but you could look. Last
summer when I pulled it off the a/c vents there was no residue or sticky stuff left so I
was pleased. I just didn't know up until that point cause it was the first time I used
it for anything else besides the carpet. Now I wasn't afraid to do the vents again for
winter. I also had used it to cover over the heater intake during summer so the air
conditioned air wouldn't escape through the heater, so I've used it for alot of things.
Also use it to cover the sides and foot portion of the recliner, I can wipe the dog hairs
and goo off with a rag and when I need to I just take it off and put a new piece on. It
didn't leave any residue on the chair either. So, personally, I think its a great product
to have around, serves many purposes and did you know you could laminate stuff with it?
and........you can make custom wipeable table cloths :P I think I sound like an infomercial now so I'm gonna shut up. :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Liz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Those are some great ideas! Maybe I could just cover the dog and cat with it? :lol:
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:38 am

Liz, great idea. Ummmm? Wrap both dogs and voila! No more dog hair. Didn't realize you could use it for so many things.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Nasoosie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Here Molly! Here Twitch! (Senile shedding cat!) Let Mommy put some wonderful shedding-hair catcher stuff all over you!!! NOT!!!

Hair is always a problem with Mollys' weird Dingo-like mane that grows all winter and comes out just before the next winter! She also loses a lot of undercoat in her hind end, very soft fur that can be spun into yarn. I used to make winter hats out of my Samoyed/Hybrid dog's fur every summer for the coming winter! I once had a spinning wheel, but have since given it away.

I guess hair/fur is a given with 4-footers of any kind....and one I will put up with with no (hardly any) complaining!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby oregontocal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm

What a difference! Nope, Wal-Mart doesn't carry the stuff, and the nearest Home Depot or Lowes is probably about 60 miles away down in Oklahoma. So, I improvised a little. I'd just replaced my two-inch memory foam mattress topper with a four-inch one, so had the old one rolled up in the back of the pickup. I cut a piece of it to size, then stuck it up there with black duct tape, the only color I had. Doesn't look very pretty, but I could tell the difference immediately. It's supposed to get down to 21 degrees tomorrow night, so that will be the test. And now I don't freeze as soon as I open the bathroom door.
oregontocal

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues