Beware of Scammers/Fake programs

Beware of Scammers/Fake programs

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:14 pm

Ok, we all know there are those out to scam us. On a site that I moderate for my web-building company, I've caught a few bogus sites - who claim (for a fee, of course) that they scan websites and provide seals - that, of course mean nothing - but they get to pocket people's money. In those cases, all anyone is out is their money, and in some cases, a customer might feel better about the seal they see - so although it's a scam and they scan nothing - if it gives their customers some peace of mind, they might not be out much - even though scammed.

BUT - there are companies out there who scam you much worse - by taking your money and claiming to scan for viruses, etc - and they are bogus - here's an article about it:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... ctims.html
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Beware of Scammers/Fake programs

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:25 am

Is there anything we can do if we get a pop up box that says 'a virus has been detected' and we know it's not real? Turn them in somehow? I got one a few weeks ago. I just closed it, knowing that my virus protection doesn't work that way.
AlmostThere

Re: Beware of Scammers/Fake programs

Postby Bethers » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:20 am

I suggest you inform your ISP - the ISP's do try to work together to get some of these people off the internet. Of course, you don't want to click on the pop-up - but if you can get the name of the company - or if by mousing over it you can see the url to it down in your lower left on your computer - jot that down - and send it on to your ISP as a potential scammer, problem.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues