Pass through storage dampness

Pass through storage dampness

Postby kdmac » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:39 pm

I've never had to do this before, but I've never camped n torrential rain and wind for weeks on end. I chose the Oregon coast to winter in since the northwest rarely has "major" weather issue, usually mild, overall. (I wanted to head to Arizona but it was late December before I could get on the road so didn't want to get into weather in passes and the rig was brand new so wanted to familiarize myself with it before a major trek) I knew the Oregon coast would be wild and wooly with ocean storms..wanted to be in all of that and have loved it. But, when the wind comes in it's day after day of wind and rain with gusts of 70mph and sustained at 45 to 50. With the heavy, windblown rain coming in sideways the storage doors do hold out the rain but the humidity did get in the storage area. Naturally mold is not your friend. I knew if I didn't get it nice and dry and warm in there I would have mold ruin everything in there. So, yesterday was almost springlike so I opened both storage doors for pass-through ventillation took everything out and checked for mold...all was well. Then went inside and lifted my bed and opened trailer door so air moved real well down through the storage, did that all day. When evening approached I closed up all the doors but left the bed up so storage area would get the heat in there. I plan to keep the bed up each day so heat gets down there. Can't wait to spend next winter in Arizona so I don't have to fear mold. I am sure then it's dust that I have to contend with....always something...love it though.
kdmac

Re: Pass through storage dampness

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Dust? No, will be sand - lots and lots of sand :) But I don't complain about the sand - love the beaches and deserts - and my dog drags some in, I drag some in - and who knows how the rest gets in - but get in it does.

I'll be worrying about mold, etc this summer - as I'll be in a hotter, more humid climate - have to watch for it and not let it attack. Good thing you realized it and are being proactive. I have a small dehumidifier I travel with. Haven't needed it for a few years, but am sure I'll be bringing it back out this summer.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby kdmac » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:55 pm

[quote="Bethers"]Dust? I have a small dehumidifier I travel with.

Yep, that's on my "Need to buy" list. I've tried to curtail my spending so I can save for gas, since the prices are skyrocketting and certainly will more this Spring. But, dehumidifier is a must....any suggestions on one better than another?

And while I am at it. I notice you, and several other gals, have the small motor bikes. I wanted to get one as I grew up with those and loved all the riding on logging roads, trails. etc. back in the day when you could ride off road so easily but isn't it a hassle these days with license requirements varying from state to state? I love to take them on trails, etc. but so many trails forbid them now..And, 50cc are more acceptable and don't require a license (in most, but not all, states) but I want a larger one than that. The 150 or greater require licensing (in most states, not all). I would want the 150 or greater just so I have enough umph to get out of the way of certain death, if need be. Have you any words of wisdom?
kdmac

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:14 pm

My scooter was a 125 - which was fine for me. Simply needed a motorcycle license - which covers you in all states. There are certain restrictions based on how many cc's you have as to what roads you can travel. You wouldn't get me on a freeway no matter how many cc's (on a scooter or motorcycle I'm driving) so that wasn't an issue. I traveled with mine a little over a year. Loved it ... and would consider another. But I couldn't get mine on and off the back rack by myself - and that's something that I require of myself. So, should I ever get another one, would have to reconsider how I carry it and would probably have to spend the bucks for the carrier with automatic lift.

As to the dehimidifier - the one I have is tiny - but works very well for me - the Eva Dry 1100 - here's a link for where I bought mine: http://www.air-n-water.com/product/EDV-1100.html Might be cheaper now at that sale price than when I got it! There are several others - of various sizes, etc. I don't have much space, so hoped that would do the trick and it helps me a lot. I know of one larger rig that got 2 - one for front, one for back - and they said it works for them, also.

Good luck :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues