cell phone and internet service??

cell phone and internet service??

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:43 pm

I am looking into getting a cell phone and internet package for when I move. I don't know much about any of this so I need your expert advice. Is there a company that offers a combo package that is reasonably affordable? I don't need anything fancy, just regular cell phone service and something for my laptop. Is there a cheaper "bundle" for both, or should I do it separately? Right now, I have a Tracfone and can get up to 400 minutes per month for $30. I don't really understand air cards... Need to be educated here... :oops:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: cell phone and internet service??

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:33 pm

I have a Verizon phone with 450 minutes, free nights (after 9pm) and free weekends and always free if Verizon to Verizon call. I also have a Verizon aircard with unlimited use. The monthly cost for both of these together is $115 with a two year plan. By agreeing to a two year contract the aircard and phone were free. The way you use the aircard is they send you a little thingy that plugs into one of your USB ports and if you are in an area that has a signal, voila you're on the internet. You just need to make sure you have a good strong Verizon signal where you are. Check out Walmart - I saw several phones and aircards there with no contract, only a monthly fee. I would wait till you get where you're going to be sure you have a good signal for either Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Question: how secure are aircards bought from Wal-Mart. Are they name brand like Verizon etc? Just curious...
AlmostThere

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm

I believe the one I saw was Verizon. The aircard is much more secure than using a park wifi.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues