Dumping 101

Dumping 101

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:54 pm

I guess one of the first rules of dumping is to make sure the endcap is off the end that you stick in the trap before you fill the sewer hose with the black water! :o :shock: :roll:
I couldn't figure out why I pulled the lever and heard the hose fill but nothing went into the ground. I thought I had a blockage somewhere. When I removed the hose from the trap I noticed I forgot to take the cap off! Now what to do with a hose full of sewer that I can't suck back into the rig!??!
First I removed my shoes, then rolled up my capris. I already had rubber gloves on. I turned on the water to the hose used to clean up afterward and pointed it at the endcap while I gingerly removing it. Ewwwww!! and PU! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still I didn't want to have to actually see any thing. I did have the dry heaves for a few seconds until I got it all washed down.
Huge lesson learned!!!
AlmostThere

Re: Dumping 101

Postby VickieP » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You did good Lenora. I don't understand why it bothers people, you see it before you flush it, lol.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 am

I got a good chuckle from that. My sewer hose doesn't have an end cap on it- so that's one I won't be doing. But I've done my share of doosies - and got to admit - we like to share them all on here - what fun.

Like Vickie - dumping doesn't bother me - as long as it's mine.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 am

Welcome to the "what a dumb thing to do" club. I'm not bothered by dumping either. Didn't like dirty diapers much, tho.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 am

Thank you for the morning laugh!
You did good, though.
And I'll bet you never leave the cap on again.

I don't mind dumping, either.

mitch5252

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Guess I am lucky as I cannot attach my sewer hose without removing the end cap WHEW cause that sounds like something I could do.

Glad you got it all figured out despite the difficult lesson. I like learning things other people have done wrong cause I sure could be next.

Karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Like Janice says, "everything operates properly when properly operated"! :x
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Duh - I thought you had a cap on the sewer hose. Like Karen, I can't attach my sewer hose without removing my cap. Boy am I glad.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Bethers wrote:Duh - I thought you had a cap on the sewer hose. Like Karen, I can't attach my sewer hose without removing my cap. Boy am I glad.

I understood that it WAS on the end of the sewer hose, Beth, because she could hear it going thru the hose, just not coming out into the ground hole. Or that's my take on it. :lol:
VickieP

VickieP

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 pm

After using my sewer hose I have end caps for both ends so nothing leaks out into my compartment. I removed the end so I could attach it to my RV as that was obvious, but forgot about the other end that goes into the trap as it is a smaller cap.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Ok, that's how I read it to begin with. My rv guy told me to not cap mine- as then things grow in that warm moist place that we don't want to think of LOL - I rinse it out good and when I can (like yesterday here - leave it sitting out to dry.

Also, if you screw your water hose ends together - make sure you are REGULARLY cleaning them with bleach - otherwise you don't want to use those to bring in your "fresh" water either - as you'll be bringing in lots of mold and who knows what that'll grow in those, also. If it's attached with water running continually, not a problem - it's the stored, with moisture inside that is the problem. But even if used all the time, I suggest periodically bleaching hoses.
Beth
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:18 pm

Don't screw my water hose together. I did once but stopped that. I always carry bottled water in the RV. I know, some of that isn't so safe, but it gives me peace of mind anyway.
With the sewer hose, I really don't care what grows inside it. ;) I do rinse it out the best I can.
AlmostThere

Postby bikerchic777 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Loved the story! Almost as good as the visual from a friend of mine who tripped over her sewer hose at the dump station and scraped herself all up :lol: She doused herself in peroxide for fear of catching some sewer disease :lol: I have had my sewer hose pop out of my toter while I was filling it, but I quickly put it back in before too much yuck spewed out. It is a nasty job, but I haven't taught Rags how to do that yet :|
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby VickieP » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 pm

AlmostThere wrote:With the sewer hose, I really don't care what grows inside it. ;) I do rinse it out the best I can.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I guess it don't really matter, huh.
VickieP

VickieP

Postby Nasoosie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:16 am

Dumping into a Blue Boy toter taught me, early on, to make damn sure the end of the sewer hose into the toter is somehow 'secured! Having it pop out is NO fun, as some others of us have found out! ACK!!!!!

I would do most anything to be able to avoid the dumping part of trailering, including only using a pee bucket to dump daily into a porta potty, or using a campground toilet whenever possible!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues