Vista

Vista

Postby Echo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:11 am

I know people were grumping about Vista. I don't have Vista so I'm kool for how ever long. But Kelly does have it and she really likes it? But then again we don't have any external devices so I don't even know how that would work for her.
Found this on Yahoo and thought I would post the link. Have no idea if it will help anyone?? :oops:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20080731/tc_cmp/209900674
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Re: Vista

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:06 am

I love my Vista. Haven't had any problems with it. I have a printer, scanner and usb for my camera and those work just fine. My learning curve is the Office 2007 I got with it. Whew, I'll deal w/learning that tomorrow.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Paulette » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:09 am

My understanding is that if you get Vista new on a new system, it works great. BUT, if you try to upgrade from XP or whatever to Vista, that's where the problems start (and never end). I don't have Vista.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Barbzeee » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:47 am

Paulette .. you are right.. that is exactly what happened to me.. attempting to upgrade from XP... I finally said .. forget about it ..... DH put it on his and all he does now is talk to himself..cause I hide... LOL Now I'm puter literate but that has left me in an lurch mode.... Yes, if it's new on a new system it works fantastic.. and Office is a testy bit to get the handle of ..but not really that bad..just make sure you're in a room by yourself so when you speak in foreign tongue no little ears will hear you :)

Again... XP works great...and Vista is a great big step up lots of great features..but if not broke ..don't mess with it...keep what you got until you have to change which may be never :)

God Bless......back to the drawing table....

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 am

I used Vista on a cg puter in PA last year and had no problems using it. I don't have it on mine. The one thing that would have kept me from getting a computer with it (even new) in the past, is that there are still quite a few programs that have trouble on it - some that are programs I need for my webwork. Slowyly, those are getting integrated with Vista so there are less problems. But I liked many features on Vista on that computer last summer.

But, no, I still wouldn't recommend upgrading a computer to Vista - not unless you want to pretty much clear out everything and start new - which isn't what most want to do when they upgrade.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:07 am

Beth is right - still a lot of programs out there (and maybe on your old computer) that don't work well or at all with Vista. I bought a new computer with Vista, kept it 3 days and took it back and got my old Dell with XP back. My older camera wouldn't work with Vista and tht was the final straw. You can still get some Dells with XP and I will hold onto mine until Vista has had a couple of years to work out the bugs.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:59 am

I got a new laptop which came loaded with Vista,..that was last November, and I haven't had any problems yet. I think there is a lot of security stuff as I get blocked a lot and have to grant permission to continue, but I think that is a good thing,... even though i get out of patience at times.
Cedar518

Postby Echo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:21 pm

This is Kelly since I have to wait for my membership to be approved. :mrgreen:

Anywho, like everyone says, upgrading to Vista is a bad idea. Now if you do a clean install then you should be fine. But of course that would take a lot of work backing up everything! I really like Vista. I really haven't had any problems with it other than yahoo messenger sometimes but seems like that's always been rather buggy. I don't have a printer or scanner but I do have a webcam, mp3 player and an sd expansion card for the chip in my phone. Oh, I did have a mouse too but, *ahem* it got nabbed. When I got the mouse and webcam, both from micros**t, the boxes said they were either Vista compatible or I could download software for them. The mouse was plug and play, the drivers for it were already in Vista and I downloaded the drivers for the cam which came with some rinky dink picture editing (I can make things float across the picture, like snowflakes, leaves or hearts). I am very happy with Acer, the maker of my laptop and have come to like Vista very much. I've become so used to it that if mom needs help on her laptop, that has XP, I have to stop and think/remember how to do whatever it is she needs help with, lol! Eventually I/we will need to get a printer and scanner and I want to get an external hard drive for mine. I have roughly 4.2GB worth of music on there that I only have maybe 20% of it on disc. I would be in a world of hurt if I lost that. I figure that with all the new gadgets coming out we shouldn't have any real problems. And the external hdd I'm looking at is post Vista and therefore compatible.

Ok, I've rambled enough!! :roll:

Wicked, who is missing her Doom (laptop) while she's in the shop! Will be so glad to get her back, guy said it could be as early as this Friday! *Woot! :D
Echo

Postby Bethers » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:52 pm

Kelly -you were just approved, you wicked girl you :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues