New Computer.....

New Computer.....

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:20 pm

I checked out computers today at Best Buy. When the time comes (when I feel I need one for Little Missy), I'll probably go with another Toshiba. All the PCs they offered had Vista on them and I played around with it for a bit. Seems like it's a knock-off of the MACs in some respects. I guess Microsoft is coming out with Windows 7 to replace Vista around Oct 26th. and he thought that probably the newers computers will come with that running system soon after instead of Vista. But until then, the new computers all come with a coupon to get the Windows 7 software (he figured a $299 value), when it becomes available, should you want to switch over. At that time you can try wiping Vista completely off and replacing it with Win7 yourself, run both on you computer (not sure how that would work), or take your computer to Best Buy and the Geeks will wipe out Vista and do a complete re-install, but will cost $129! He suggested saving all our Vista files and hopefully they can be trasferred.
Now is anyone has another other info on this I'd like to hear it.
thanks!
AlmostThere

Re: New Computer.....

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:37 am

That's just about how I understood it last week at Best Buy. I'm saving my pennies for the Toshiba.
Cedar518

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 am

Cedar, I was looking at the Toshiba with the 4G of memory. $679. I was amazed at the low price as I paid over $1000 for this one in '04, from Costco! Good luck in your search!
AlmostThere

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:06 am

That's the one! :D
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:42 am

I'm also thinking about a new computer. I love my Dell laptop, its an older Latitude D505 and I added some memory to it. It works great for my needs but I want one with a built-in webcam and my "G" key fell off so I have to almost stop typing when I come to a "G" and press it really hard. I try using words with no "G's". My daughter who worked in the computer repair shop for so long says to stay away from the newer Dells (made in I think, China) and HP's. Says the Toshibas and Acers are good cause they didn't end up with constant repairs.

I actually bought a new acer several months ago and it had Vista. By the end of the weekend, I called my Daughter and told her I wanted my old Dell back. I HATED Vista and the last straw was when it wouldn't work with my older digital camera.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:18 pm

retiredhappy wrote:stay away from the newer Dells (made in I think, China) and HP's.

I don't know about Dells,....but i can tell you that my HP that is 1 year and 10 mo. old is a piece of junk. And it wasn't a cheapie, either! :x
Cedar518

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:27 pm

All the Toshibas I looked at yesterday had the webcam, but the one I was interested in had the word Skype across the webcam area on the lid. Not sure what difference that makes. All of them also offered the slot for an SD card, which I like. Best Buy also offers to clean up the computer when you buy it (for $40). Means that all the annoying popup ads etc running in the background that come installed, will be taken off. He showed me that the computer I liked had 58 add=ons already on it, and by having the Geek Squad clean it up it would reduce that by half. Not sure why all the trash can't be deleted. Probably some deal they make with Toshiba.
AlmostThere

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:14 pm

I have seen the ads on tv for Windows 7 but didn't pay enough attention to see that it is a new operating system. I got POed with Dell the last time I had a problem with my big computer. When I wanted a laptop to bring in my RV I got an AS Mobile from a local company that works on my computers. It is kind of heavy but I know where to find them when I have trouble. I have had it with trying to get help from some one that hardly speaks English. I went to a computer class for seniors last year that used both Windows XP and Vista. I didn't have much trouble with Vista but then I don't do much but play around on my computers.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:43 pm

We got a Acer with Vista laptop (guess they are called "notebooks" now :roll: ) about a year & a half ago......love it now, but in the beginning, hated it....so Ernie did some talking to folks & a little research...and found out what to do to learn Vista....forget what you know about Windows XP and buy a Vista for Dummies book... :lol: took us about a week, but now we just do almost everything we did on XP.....just our 2 cents.... :lol:

PS...has a built in webcam.....great for chatting with the grandkids....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:58 pm

I bought the toshiba with the upgrade option - and am usually using my old Dell, lol. since buying the new one - this one has not had a single problem. Things I like on both - but if doing over, probably would have bought the no name one I looked at - a couple hundred dollars lower in price, and basically they are all the same inside (Yes, my opinion, I know).

Do love this Dell tho - am happy it's working well, even if I did spend an arm and leg on a new one.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues