House Battery questions..

House Battery questions..

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Does the house battery get recharged when plugged into shore power?

or

When I'm plugged into shore power I need to disconnect my house battery so it doesn't over charge?

I'm kinda freaking on the battery issue. If someone knows of a website that addresses these issues in laymen terms, please post the address.
AlmostThere

Re: House Battery questions..

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm

The house battery gets recharged by being plugged into shore power. It also recharges when you drive or when the generator runs.

Just keep asking - we'll keep answering :) But there are several different websites with all the answers - just not as much fun as here. Oh, and you can always use the search feature here - I was just on another post on house batteries in this same part of the forum - and I think this question would have been answered even tho it wasn't asked. :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Don't forget to check the water level about once a month if you're plugged into electric. If the weather is hot or the batteries overcharge you'll lose water. Use only distilled water to fill - a turkey baster is the perfect fill tool. AND, don't overfill them either. You know, I think I'll get the sealed batteries next time - only problem is they tell you to replace all coach batteries at the same time and I have three of the damn things - $$$$$$$$$
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:17 am

Lenora, darlin,..... relax. Just get sealed batteries and don't worry. I have always had sealed batteries,... leave my camper plugged into the house (from late April to Columbus Day) when not on the road camping and have never had a problem. My battery on the Chalet that I just traded lasted 4 years and I probably could have gotten at least another year out of it but I replaced it just to be sure. No damage done from leaving it plugged in during summer months.
Cedar518

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:16 am

There are lots of good comments about the 12 Volt Side of Life over on rv.net.

......................................................................12 Volt Side Of Life

mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:35 am

I'd be paying twice as much for sealed batteries - is that worth it for me to not have to check the water level - nope - not to me. That's a personal preference. And I'll stick with the kind I have. There are plusses and minusses to either.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:56 am

Ok, I called my SIL and asked him if he remembered, when he was looking over Little Missy, about my battery, and he said its a sealed one so no worries on the water adding issue. So that's one thing off my list........for now. :D ;)

Yes, Beth, it is more fun to ask you ladies and get immediate answers. I'm not one for sitting and going through multiple posts. My patience isn't what it use to be. Plus we now have new members that can give their advice, too, or need to ask the same questions but are hesitant to ask. (did I justify my laziness with that spiel?).. :lol:
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Make sure your SIL knows you are talking about the AUXILIARY battery - he might be thinking of the one under the hood.

(Just double checking.)
Beth
Bethers

Postby OutandAbout » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:05 pm

I have the battery that needs water. The set up for the battery in my TC is way too high to reach without getting the ladder. Forget it when mounted on the truck, its more like a skyscraper. I got tired of lugging the ladder to the TC so purchased a Qwick Fill 12 Volt watering system from camping world. (Sorry, don't know how to do the link thingy) Just take the caps off the battery and replace with those provided by the watering system and attach the tube. I also purchased the pump (separately of course). Just hook up the pump to the tube and stick the other end in the distilled water and squeeze. The pump fills each cell and stops when it has enough water. No more overflow and each cell gets what it needs. Great little gadget. It also stays attached and I only have to carry the distilled water jug to the battery. I couldn't ask for a better toy. With the president's club it was about #32.00 for the system and $18.00 for the pump, plus SH and tax. I think it was money well spent for my set up. Linda
OutandAbout

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues