DIY Leak Pressure Test

DIY Leak Pressure Test

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:50 pm

My trailer warrany expires July '09 and I'd like to find/fix any leak areas before then. I thought maybe some of you here might find this useful and interesting...it's a thread from rv.net in 2006 and that thread has another link with pictures of what the leaky problems areas look like.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18488368.cfm

We have a leaf blower (a lot bigger one than the guy used in his trailer...ours is on wheels and can't be carried around on your back) and I'm going to try and come up with some way to stand it in the door and seal with plastic around the entire door opening. I've newly posted a bunch of questions on rv.net about how to do this test properly. ANd, in case you didn't know, there are places throughout the country that have a machine to do this 'professionally' for a fee. I hear the fee is around $100; don't know that for a fact. The website for locating a 'dealer near you' is http://www.rvleaks.com/locations.htm

In case any of you want to see the answers I get, I've posted in the General RVing subcategory.

Hope this helps someone nip their leaky problems in the bud!!! :) That's certainly what I'm hoping for!

Happy, Hippy, Hoppy Easter to all you wonderful women!

Regards,
Michelle
mitch5252

Re: DIY Leak Pressure Test

Postby Shirlv » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Michelle, Thank you. I went to a gtg and discovered a bad leak in the cabover cupboard. A fellow rv patched it but I suspect there are more problems lurking. Someone mentioned the test and said it was expensive. The hotwater heater died on this trip so I have been dreading the expenses in store. This do it yourself test helps.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Re: DIY Leak Pressure Test

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Shirl, for more information, here's the link to the discussion I started a little bit ago on rv.net. I've since made a change from my big, bad leaf blower (picture of it in rv.net thread) to my shop vac.

Got the trailer all moved over from it's storage across the property, and in the driveway. Then it wouldn't quit raining so I could do the test, and NOW, they're predicting large hail this afternoon. So, we had to hitch 'er up and drag 'er all the way back to her protective shelter! Jeez...dang rain.

Here's how far I got this morning - the shop vac hose ready to be duct-tape secured into the black trash can liner and then the liner to be sealed over one of the trailer windows. If you read the thread on rv.net, you'll notice the guy said I could use the shop vac as a vac (inside the trailer) instead of as a blower (outside of trailer).

mitch5252

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues