What tools do you carry?

What tools do you carry?

Postby mtngal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm

In addition to the routine things like hammer, screw driver, pliers, etc., what tools do you have in your rigs and which ones do you actually use? (My storage capacity will be significantly less than most of you.) Are there those specific to an rv that a newbie might not think about?
Diana
mtngal

Re: What tools do you carry?

Postby Liz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:03 pm

There is a specific square head screwdriver that I needed for the Roadtrek....all the screw heads were that shape, so check yours.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Getupngo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:48 pm

In addition to the items you mentioned:

A ladder. I have one of those "little giant" knock-offs. It fits in one of my pass-through bays perfectly. I have a tall RV and some things need fixin' up high.

Allen wrenches. I use them to tighten my side mirrors, which like to vibrate loose.

A GOOD tire gauge. It's important with an RV to have proper tire air pressure. AND ... an air compressor, so I can accurately air up my tires before hitting the road.

Plus: Vice grips. Duct tape. extension cords. A good large flashlight for walking around at night & a mag light for looking in those dark tight places. A collapsible stool to sit on when I'm testing & filling tires, & digging through (okay I'm disorganized) the storage bays. Extra fuses & a fuse pulling tool.

Anyway, those are just a few.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:25 pm

bungee cords, wd40, good rope, tent stakes (yep, i've used them!) medium sized tarp, small tarp, (ya just never know,.. and I HAVE used them), portable air compressor, (don't leave home without it), sunshade tent,(put over picnic table, or off to the side of your awning).....still thinking what's in the storage areas.
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:21 pm

All of the above. Don't use WD40 tho, silicon spray is better and doesn't get gummy (my mechanic told me this). Box of various size screws. Extra valve stem covers (ALWAYS lose one when checking tires). Bungee cords (lots of different sizes). I second the air compressor. Can't get near so many of the air hoses in gas stations.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:43 pm

see,... gives my age away,.... we always thought wd40 was the answer to a lot of things. ..... silicon spray, eh? I'll get some!
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:14 pm

in addition to what was already said, two crescent wrenches and a pair of channel locks.
also... some type of glue, I have gorilla glue
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Liz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 pm

I used a ladder to wash and wax the top of my Roadtrek when at home, but I sure didn't have room to carry one with me on the road. I also carry a tire gauge & small air compressor now that I have air springs on the Pleasure Way, but never did in the RT. Always checked those things before a trip or when stopped for service.

I'd recommend reading your manual thoroughly, checking over your RT thoroughly, taking a few trips and getting to know what you actually need or use. I ended up taking out a lot of things I first thought I'd need or like to have and never used. For example, I got tired of always moving the sink cover and cute little dish drainer out of my way, so I took them out. I used mainly paper plates and bowls, and washed up my cup and silverware, dried and put away without needing a drainer.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Like Liz, and like I said above, I don't carry almost any of those things others above have as musts. Doesn't mean they aren't musts for them - but I don't have an air compressor and haven't ever needed one in 4 years fulltiming now. Would it be handly on occasion, sure - I mean I used Karens when at the TX GTG - but if she hadn't had it, I simply would have stopped at a gas station or tire place like I normally do (and many, many rv parks have air - like where I am now - free). I don't carry a ladder. Let's see, I've needed one every time I need to change my light outside my door. This week, I borrowed one. Last time, I pulled up a picnic table. You have a smaller rig than me - in Liz's size - and no room for all these things.

I got convinced to purchase all kinds of things by other's lists - I can only recommend you take the trips and see what you just can't live without - and get it then. Let's see - if I really wanted to be prepared for every emergency - like when my toilet leaked, I didn't have the seal that repaired it. When my fridge quit working on propane, I didn't have the thermocoupler it needed - that's what there are service places for - no matter how many tools/gadgets/extras I carry, I can't carry what I'll most likely need in the next emergency. If you can't tell - I simply don't sweat all the small stuff. But that's just me :) And why I can live in a small rig.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:43 am

just a word about my air compressor,... it is a portable one,... does not take up hardly any space at all Measures about 12"x 9" x 7" approx. And it is lightweight. I always carry it in the back of my car. I've used it and I've had it handy for others to use. So much easier than trying to get to an air pump at a gas station. Especially when towing. The best thing is that for being small and lightweight it is mighty and does the trick when needed.

I didn't want anyone to think I was lugging around a large and heavy piece of equipment! :lol:
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:18 am

Cedar, the small portable one someone had at the gtg needed to be plugged into the cigarette lighter - from there it didn't reach my tires - so trying to use it was time consuming and didn't work. Does yours work differently, or have a longer connection? Then I might reconsider one - MIGHT, lol Even using Karen's big one, that worked well, took longer than for me going to a gas station or place with air - plus whenever I stop at a tire shop - they do it for me free :) Goodyear shops across America, I love you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:56 am

So many good ideas. My WD-40 will have to be replaced. Is there a brand name for "scilicon" spray?

When I talk about tools, they are NOT for major repairs, just for puttering around my rig. And of course, I will have ERS!

My little compressor is a disappointment. It would take FOREVER to add air to a big tire. The only thing I have used it for is an air bed. Don't think I will carry one since no problem to get near the air in gas stations.

BTW, recently my daughter got the best hammer at Home Depot, it has a SHORT handle with regular size head, a very excellent design for someone like me who is a bit wild with a big hammer!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 am

Don't replace the WD-40 - just add Silicone Spray also - as you'll use both - just for different things. Silicone spray did nothing to fix my sticky door - that took WD-40! But there are places that WD-40 shouldn't be used. I've never looked at the names - Wal-mart carries it - as do all the hardware stores. Been using it for years - in the motel industry - with the type of curtain rods we had - we had to spray them annually with silicone spray. Learned the value of it then.

The one thing I really want to add to my coach is a 2nd coach battery. I only have one and that's been a problem for me a few times (if I've been using it boondocking and want to turn on my generator, there have been occasions that I think the coach battery has enough charge, but it doesn't have the ooomph to start the genie.. The problem isn't adding the battery - it's finding someone to do the work so that it can be done. Adding a shelf underneath the rv - or making what's necessary to put it on my back bumper, where I'd add a couple of them :) But I do like to boondock.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:48 pm

My portable air compressor does plug into the cig lighter. But I've never had a problem having it reach what I needed. As I am at least 12 miles from a gas station I like having it handy for that unexpected soft tire.
Cedar518

Postby Birdie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:58 pm

I recommend one of the 50 to 30 power converters. I have had to use that several times. I also have a 30 to household converter. Box of rubber gloves for the work around the sewage pipes. Check to see if you like your sewage drain hose. I had to buy an adapter to fit the various size sewage drain pipes (why don't they standardize those?) Two or three old towels or t-shirts that you can wipe your dirty hands on and when it gets to bad you can just pitch it. I use a folgers plastic can to put my roll of toilet paper in, in the bathroom because when I shower it can make a roll of TP awfully soggy if you forget to move it. I just put the lid on the can before I shower. Of course the pliers and vise-grips, at least one of the various screwdrivers, tire gauge, I carry air compressor in my car and it has a battery and doesn't have to be plugged in to power, and I have used it several times on my TT tires, it also has a light, and I used it to blow the water out of my pipes when the marvelous weather people predicted 26 degree weather last December (it was in storage). I also carry candles, and a butane lighter. I also carry extra fuses, but no puller, a tire jack that ended up too short when I needed it :oops: , a couple of batteries for various gizmos and a bottle of wine and a wine opener. Cinch - ready to go. :D
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues